Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the uninformed question. I hit the headlight switch with my knee. Battery died. I recharged the battery. When I got in the car, all the lights came on. I hit the starter switch, and everything shut off/went black. Any ideas?

Thanks very much for any help!

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Forgive the uninformed question. I hit the headlight switch with my knee. Battery died. I recharged the battery. When I got in the car, all the lights came on. I hit the starter switch, and everything shut off/went black. Any ideas?

Sounds like you may need a new battery. I had a similar situation where the battery was fine but after killing it one time it was never the same after that even though it was charged. Then later jumped and driven, it still died after that again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you may need a new battery. I had a similar situation where the battery was fine but after killing it one time it was never the same after that even though it was charged. Then later jumped and driven, it still died after that again.
Drat. That happened after the battery was charged overnight, and it WAS a new battery. Hmmmm. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Drat. That happened after the battery was charged overnight, and it WAS a new battery. Hmmmm. Thanks for the reply!
Got a voltmeter?

Let the battery sit 30 mins after charging. Check voltage. Any thing below 12.3 is a prob.

If higher than 12.3, Turn on a few lights if it dips below 11.8 that battery is toast.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
If you dont have a battery tester you can walk into any parts store like autozone and they can test it for you for free.

After you charged your battery and went to attempt to start your car, did it attempt to crank over, did you just here clicking, or did it do nothing?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
DanM, thanks for the reply. After charging, when I opened the door, all the lights came on. When I pressed the starter button, everything went black. Wonder if it might be a fuse?
Not likely your dealing with a fuse issue. First thing, test your battery, then With a simple volt meter you can narrow down what may be going on depending on what voltages your seeing. If your seeing ~12.3vdc at the positive side then thats a good sign.
If your not seeing that then move your meter inline with the battery terminal and the cable connection so you can read for any voltage drop on the positive side, you should see less than .5v. repeat for the ground side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you dont have a battery tester you can walk into any parts store like autozone and they can test it for you for free.

After you charged your battery and went to attempt to start your car, did it attempt to crank over, did you just here clicking, or did it do nothing?
Unreal. I had scheduled AAA to tow the ST to the local Ford dealership. While I was waiting for the truck, I took another look at the battery. Turned out the negative post was just a LITTLE bit loose. I could have sworn that I tightened it completely. Yep, problem solved. I gave the tow truck driver $20 and apologized. Thanks for your help and replies!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Unreal. I had scheduled AAA to tow the ST to the local Ford dealership. While I was waiting for the truck, I took another look at the battery. Turned out the negative post was just a LITTLE bit loose. I could have sworn that I tightened it completely. Yep, problem solved. I gave the tow truck driver $20 and apologized. Thanks for your help and replies!
It's nice that you still gave him $20 for driving out to you, at least it was a simple issue after all!

·
Registered
214 Posts

Hold up make sure the car is on it could be just your gadgets off and not working BUT thats a easy fix on passanger side theres two fuses for this 69 and 73 but before cheacking that turn on your focus st like you normaly do get down cheack if its on by exhaust or engine noise.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
695 Posts
Hold up make sure the car is on it could be just your gadgets off and not working BUT thats a easy fix on passanger side theres two fuses for this 69 and 73 but before cheacking that turn on your focus st like you normaly do get down cheack if its on by exhaust or engine noise.
Gravvvvve diggggah, the only time I've found a DMB song fitting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts