Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone confirm that these will fit onto the stock front brake system of my 2015 ST...?

https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-HB712F-680-Brake-Pad/dp/B00K243NQ2

Some websites say 2013-2014 only...
Some websites say 2013-2016....

Thanks in advance!

Also thinking about changing brake fluids to something a-little more suited for Autocross.. any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Can someone confirm that these will fit onto the stock front brake system of my 2015 ST...?

https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-HB712F-680-Brake-Pad/dp/B00K243NQ2

Some websites say 2013-2014 only...
Some websites say 2013-2016....

Thanks in advance!

Also thinking about changing brake fluids to something a-little more suited for Autocross.. any suggestions?

Edit: Deleted my reply because I was incorrect. You (and me since I have a 14.5 year model) need larger pads. I was thinking about the rear pads I was recently looking at. They won't fit

·
Registered
458 Posts
Edit: Deleted my reply because I was incorrect. You (and me since I have a 14.5 year model) need larger pads. I was thinking about the rear pads I was recently looking at. They won't fit
All Focus ST's share the exact same caliper and pads, the only difference is the rotor size and caliper bracket. Auto parts search systems generally struggle with this but as long as you are buying pads and not rotors, you can use 2013-2014 in your search criteria.

Edit: I should clarify that the OEM pads are the same shape/size, but technically a different compound. The goal with the brake change was to upsize the rotors and go with a less aggressive pad compound in order to maintain the same braking performance but with less dust.

You may find this helpful: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-brakes/40385-st-brake-guide-excel-doc.html

Reactions: Kdub085

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well according to Autoanything.com the EBC Yellows should work... their site actually goes by the cars VIN #.
So I guess I'll be giving those a try

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
All Focus ST's share the exact same caliper and pads, the only difference is the rotor size and caliper bracket. Auto parts search systems generally struggle with this but as long as you are buying pads and not rotors, you can use 2013-2014 in your search criteria.

You may find this helpful: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-brakes/40385-st-brake-guide-excel-doc.html
Cool, thanks for the info... It looks like I can't actually get those EBC's on amazon Prime for this weekend... So you can confirm that I shouldn't have any issues with the HAWK HPS front and rear pads then on my stock 2015 rotors & calipers?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't recommend EBC YellowStuff for a daily street driven car, they have very little to no bite unless you get a few stops in them. I have yet to try their Red Stuff pads but I wouldn't buy the yellows again for a street driven car (unless I was going to a track)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't recommend EBC YellowStuff for a daily street driven car, they have very little to no bite unless you get a few stops in them. I have yet to try their Red Stuff pads but I wouldn't buy the yellows again for a street driven car (unless I was going to a track)
Yeah, I dunno why I was looking at the yellows... it was the EBC RED's I meant to say. **

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
What danman32 said. All year ST's share the same exact calipers and pads. Later years have a larger rotor and caliper bracket to clear the rotor. Other than that everything else is the same.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info... It looks like I can't actually get those EBC's on amazon Prime for this weekend... So you can confirm that I shouldn't have any issues with the HAWK HPS front and rear pads then on my stock 2015 rotors & calipers?

Personally with other platforms, I think the HPS is pure utter crap, and the HP Plus is the starting point for anything Hawk. Some folks even run DTC pads on the street with good result.

But one pad on one platform will work differently for another, and many folks here say the HPS is a good pad. I found it to make pedal feel mushy and is dusted a lot, the HP Plus was a much better pad to use for me and my tastes.

·
Premium Member
13,736 Posts
Personally with other platforms, I think the HPS is pure utter crap, and the HP Plus is the starting point for anything Hawk. Some folks even run DTC pads on the street with good result.

But one pad on one platform will work differently for another, and many folks here say the HPS is a good pad. I found it to make pedal feel mushy and is dusted a lot, the HP Plus was a much better pad to use for me and my tastes.
HPS is a great pad. I haven't had a spongy feeling at all and little dust. I daily drive my car and here is a picture of the front passanger side after three weeks without a wash.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
HPS is a great pad. I haven't had a spongy feeling at all and little dust. I daily drive my car and here is a picture of the front passanger side after three weeks without a wash.

Sent from another garage.
Like I said, different applications may act differently.

Two different cars, HPS was junk. HP Plus was much better. I also like porterifeld RS4's, and for a short while liked the stoptech street performance pads until after about 10k miles and they turned to poop.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the DTC pads and they're great! Consistent braking dust as okay. Not bad not great. When I get them warmed up they scratch at 5 mph

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Please don't anyone try to run DTCs on the street. They are downright dangerous when they are cold. I have run the entire Hawk lineup available for the ST. I have enough Hawk stickers to cover my back window. Anyone that says they had good results DDing DTCs is lying to you (or has lost all sense of what the brakes are supposed to feel like).

Pads do not make the pedal mushy. A mushy pedal is about fluid. Also, I think it's unfair to say that the HPS dust a lot and not mention that the HP Plus dust A TON (and squeal like a banshee when they are cold).

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Please don't anyone try to run DTCs on the street. They are downright dangerous when they are cold. I have run the entire Hawk lineup available for the ST. I have enough Hawk stickers to cover my back window. Anyone that says they had good results DDing DTCs is lying to you (or has lost all sense of what the brakes are supposed to feel like).

Pads do not make the pedal mushy. A mushy pedal is about fluid. Also, I think it's unfair to say that the HPS dust a lot and not mention that the HP Plus dust A TON (and squeal like a banshee when they are cold).
I get zero squeal with HPS plus in the cold and I live in Seattle. ZERO. I get less roughly the same dust between the two pads.

Yes pad feel was numb on initial touch. I used the adjective as mushy. Perhaps that was not quite descriptive or accurate. But its also 100% subjective. Your opinion is yours and mine is mine over 30yrs of driving and 20 of that with performance cars, wrenching and tracking.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Why is it dangerous? I daily DTC and I firmly disagree with you they're fine.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Why is it dangerous? I daily DTC and I firmly disagree with you they're fine.
You're running, what, DTC-30s? Hawk shows they have relatively low friction when they are cold (compared to the other street compounds). Granted, getting to 100F is not that hard. But, if you have to make a quick stop on completely cold brakes, you're definitely adding stopping distance to the equation. HP+ is a far better pad for DDing.
46354d1398989588-hawk-brake-pads-hawkpadchart.jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
You're running, what, DTC-30s? Hawk shows that have relatively lot friction when they are cold (compared to the other street compounds). Granted, getting to 100F is not that hard. But, if you have to make a quick stop on completely cold brakes, you're definitely adding stopping distance to the equation. HP+ is a far better pad for DDing.
View attachment 178314
The OEM gave me a lot of fade so I wanted to swap them. I went for the HPS or HP+ I can't remember. (I have them at home) and it screeched way too much so I figured I'd try a different set and these screech for a brief second and then nothing so I'm happier with the sound on these lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
You're running, what, DTC-30s? Hawk shows they have relatively low friction when they are cold (compared to the other street compounds). Granted, getting to 100F is not that hard. But, if you have to make a quick stop on completely cold brakes, you're definitely adding stopping distance to the equation. HP+ is a far better pad for DDing.
View attachment 178314
I would agree no real need for DTC30's on the street, but that compound with some pad taper is basically the new Hawk "Street/Race" pads. I am using those on the rear with the Frankenbrake setup and they seem to be working pretty well (street and track). A very tiny amount of squeal when you're just about stopped but not bad at all. The handbrake definitely is a lot more effective now. I used it a lot when I still had track pads on the front coming home from events and didn't want to squeal too badly at stop signs. I'm not sure how much of the difference is pad compound versus the extra 1"+ diameter and thus brake torque.

Yeah 30s I had the HPS as well but they screech like a mofo. So I swapped them.

The OEM gave me a lot of fade so I wanted to swap them. I went for the HPS or HP+ I can't remember. (I have them at home) and it screeched way too much so I figured I'd try a different set and these screech for a brief second and then nothing so I'm happier with the sound on these lol

I'm guessing you had HP+ as I've heard from many people that those squeal like crazy. My HPS pads rarely make any noise.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts