Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this was covered in a post somewhere, but searching hasn't proved successful.

I was thinking of putting a later 2015+ front plate bracket on my 2014. I have the factory 2013-2014 bracket, but sitting in the middle of the grille looks ridiculous. I the later bracket isn't optimal either and requires drilling on the painted section of the bumper, but it sits lower and looks better IMO, especially since my state requires front plates. I also looked into the Sto-n-sho bracket, but it's pricey. I may end up running a plate in my back seat pocket and throwing it on the dash if I ever get pulled over.

Any help would be appreciated with the 2015+ on the 2014, but certainly open to other options as well.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
2015+ OEM bracket is molded to fit the 2015+ bumper, I don't think it would work for you without a lot of trimming.

I've been really happy with my bracket from Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets, lets me keep the plate low on the front and easily installed/removed. Picked it over the Sto-n-Sho because I didn't want that permanent piece under the bumper cover. It might possibly let you mount your plate in a similar position to the 15+ OEM bracket, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
816 Posts
As stated above, my Craig's custom bracket has been awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, is this the bracket? Ford Focus ST | Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets

How does it actually mount and how easy is it to install/remove?

2015+ OEM bracket is molded to fit the 2015+ bumper, I don't think it would work for you without a lot of trimming.

I've been really happy with my bracket from Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets, lets me keep the plate low on the front and easily installed/removed. Picked it over the Sto-n-Sho because I didn't want that permanent piece under the bumper cover. It might possibly let you mount your plate in a similar position to the 15+ OEM bracket, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Thanks for the info, is this the bracket? Ford Focus ST | Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets

How does it actually mount and how easy is it to install/remove?
That's the one. It's super easy to install and remove. Takes ~2-3 minutes once you get the hang of it. For the recommended position (bottom of the bumper), the two short pieces above the wing nuts go between the bottom edge of the bumper cover and the splash guard. Then you just slide the bracket onto the screws, slide the bottom bar under that, and screw on the wing nuts. There's soft rubber everywhere where the bracket might contact the paint so you don't have to worry about paint damage.

You can play around with where you mount it too which is nice. @UnfocusedST has his mounted to the lower grille, and I've seen them mounted in front of the fog lights as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great, thanks for all the info. I think I'll be going with that mount for sure.

Any other pictures with it installed would be great!

That's the one. It's super easy to install and remove. Takes ~2-3 minutes once you get the hang of it. For the recommended position (bottom of the bumper), the two short pieces above the wing nuts go between the bottom edge of the bumper cover and the splash guard. Then you just slide the bracket onto the screws, slide the bottom bar under that, and screw on the wing nuts. There's soft rubber everywhere where the bracket might contact the paint so you don't have to worry about paint damage.

You can play around with where you mount it too which is nice. @UnfocusedST has his mounted to the lower grille, and I've seen them mounted in front of the fog lights as well.

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts
63 pages...I'll have to spend some time reading lol.

BTW, what Auto-X tires do you prefer?
My first page has direct links.

For auto x I'll be trying Bridgestone Potenza RE71R tires. These have been probably the top tire for auto x. You won't be paying R compounds prices for them either.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL I didn't realize those were links, great thread BTW!

I may be doing some Auto-X this spring, so thanks for the info. Had run Auto-X years ago and ran drag radial that are no longer made by Kumo.

My first page has direct links.

For auto x I'll be trying Bridgestone Potenza RE71R tires. These have been probably the top tire for auto x. You won't be paying R compounds prices for them either.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts

It may look like it blocks the intercooler but I can assure you that for daily driving there is little to no difference in charge air temps versus running no plate, during both city and highway driving. There's enough space behind it for air to get through.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great just like UnfocusedST's, I think that will be the way I'll go. The stock 2014 mount in the center of the grille is just horrible.

It may look like it blocks the intercooler but I can assure you that for daily driving there is little to no difference in charge air temps versus running no plate, during both city and highway driving. There's enough space behind it for air to get through.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts