Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A dealership near me has a fully loaded 2015 MM Focus ST ST3 with 10,000 miles on it for 19,700. I just bought a brand new 2016 OW Focus ST1 2 months ago with 5k down and 19,000 left on financing and have been unhappy with it because I wanted the higher end model but couldnt justify the price for a new one. Car has 4500 miles on it. Would trading it in be a stupid idea (gut feeling says yes)?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yes. My guess, if they are selling a fully loaded ST3 for $19k, is that they will offer $10k for yours. You would come out better if you sold yours outright and bought that car. However, don't expect to come out even. Also, the car may have been a repo, but many times people get rid of their cars because of reliability problems but they don't want to go thru the hassle of trying to force lemon laws.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
A dealership near me has a fully loaded 2015 MM Focus ST ST3 with 10,000 miles on it for 19,700. I just bought a brand new 2016 OW Focus ST1 2 months ago with 5k down and 19,000 left on financing and have been unhappy with it because I wanted the higher end model but couldnt justify the price for a new one. Car has 4500 miles on it. Would trading it in be a stupid idea (gut feeling says yes)?
You're better off buying/trading for the features that the ST3 package has (I know you won't get all of them...but the seats and speakers and stuff you can get)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
You're better off buying/trading for the features that the ST3 package has (I know you won't get all of them...but the seats and speakers and stuff you can get)
:whs:

Upgrading the audio in the ST1 is significantly easier than in the ST3. Might as well upgrade audio to be better than ST3, buy some Recaro's and pocket the savings. Unless they gave you a great offer on your ST1 (probably would not) not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
:whs:

Upgrading the audio in the ST1 is significantly easier than in the ST3. Might as well upgrade audio to be better than ST3, buy some Recaro's and pocket the savings. Unless they gave you a great offer on your ST1 (probably would not) not worth it.
Since you're new here @Rush12049 you might not know this yet, but a LOT of people actually hate the ST3 seats. (I love them) And you can sometimes trade straight up with someone here on the forum for the upgraded seats. Maybe even trade and a little cash on top (less cash then you'd spend buying them). And as TS13FST said, you can upgrade the audio in the ST1 without dealing with the MFT issues. Can be bumping harder than I do in my ST3 without the hassle of dealing with the wiring issues associated with my car's stock system.

Still so much potential to match/outdo the ST3's stock setup if you have the time and patience to do so. You still have the same car we all know and love.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Didn't put this in my first post so I want to add... after dealing with the audio upgrade in my ST3, I wish I would have bought and ST1 and done a seat swap. Other than losing the HIDs and the center console layout that I prefer (not an issue after 2014), I would have been happier with the result and saved some cash.

For reference, my brother installed a head unit, component speakers, amplifier, and a powered subwoofer in his Focus sedan. We finished the job in an afternoon. In my ST3, I upgraded component speakers, sub, power amplifier, and audio control LCQ1 (EQ and Line Level Convertor). Took me a few afternoons/evenings to finish install, cost more money, and doesn't sound as good (though it does sound pretty good). His setup sounds better primarily because I am stuck with MFT/Sync factory system as my source. He has more control at his source and his head unit has bluetooth, backup camera, and gps. He installed a quality head unit which I suspect gives his system the sonic advantage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
stick with your car dude, get the mods you want on it separately and enjoy it for the way it handles the corners! :)
your credit will be affected if you're planning on financing, you have to deal with the stealership again so soon, etc...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If the OP comes back I'd be interested in hear what the final decision was.

I have to agree with others - the ST1 is fantastic if you want to put in a better stereo/nav unit than what comes with the ST2/ST3. I personally love the Recaro's but I've also owned a '12 Focus Titanium (same seat style as the ST1) and they're really comfortable for longer trips.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it was more of a passing fad, I really enjoy my ST. Might upgrade the speakers and see if anyone is selling any Recaros and buy those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts