Ford Focus ST Forum banner
181 - 200 of 257 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
"You dang whippersnappers, with all your fancy electronics!" I didn't check the phone ones either, since I rarely use them, but the controls for stereo work fine. Yeah, maybe something in FORScan, hopefully I can get into it at some point--Old Guy with Technology Deficiency Syndrome

Reactions: itsjustdibella

·
Registered
216 Posts
"You dang whippersnappers, with all your fancy electronics!" I didn't check the phone ones either, since I rarely use them, but the controls for stereo work fine. Yeah, maybe something in FORScan, hopefully I can get into it at some point--Old Guy with Technology Deficiency Syndrome
I was told still don’t understand where but we need to activate the b4 setting speed.

did you use a used clock spring?

do you think the clock spring would determine if cruise control works or not? I Have handful of lights on and need to figure that. I believe the clock spring isn’t centered.
I just really want radio controls, phone works but radio is all wacky—they work just not properly

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Nope, bought a brand new clock spring from Tasca. They come with a lock tab to keep them centered during installation

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm betting (hoping) it's a setting you can change/enable through FORScan

Well I played with Forscan last night and ****ed the car up a bit more. Too I don't know. What I thinks the issue for both us is that the clock spring is bad. Mine has 136,000 miles on it and prolly got spun and spun in the junk yard. I just purchased the steering rack with the selector assembly and clock spring. I feel good about this.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
My clock spring was brand new, I purchased the part number listed earlier in the thread. It did not budge during installation, since it had the locking tab in place. I almost think that the part number that was listed is not 100% compatible with the ST. I should have checked to see if the 2015+ clock spring is the same before I ordered mine; that might be the issue. At this point, I'm fine with what I have, not worth tearing it apart again.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
I'm wondering if I should have ordered the clockspring for the heated steering wheel, but at this point it means shelling out another $150, so I'm OK with what I have. The part number for the heated one is F1FZ-14A664-A. I can't confirm that this will solve the issue, it's just a guess.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well my '13 ST3 doesn't have heated wheel so that would be pointless for me. I just picked up a full 2015 Steering column...with the wheel we love and clock spring, plus selector assembly and more. it was only $100. So I look at it like this...if this doesn't work. I'll see the wheel and get maybe $115 and buy a brand new clock spring. As for changing things in Forscan I don't even know. I ****ed the car up with FoCCCus but I fixed it up...only lights on where the same as when I put the wheel on before I messed with the computer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm wondering if I should have ordered the clockspring for the heated steering wheel, but at this point it means shelling out another $150, so I'm OK with what I have. The part number for the heated one is F1FZ-14A664-A. I can't confirm that this will solve the issue, it's just a guess.
Okay so here is where we are at...
I now have the wheel is on, I have cruise control working, left controls working, right controls wonky - the volume buttons on the ‘15 wheel are increasing volume and changing the source, and the speaker button changes source as well.

I have the slippery traction icon and the center info button lit up AND a crap load of DTC codes in Forscan. Will these ever just go away?! I mean damn!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well...I jumped the gun a bit on this one by proclaiming that everything works 100%. I finally got to take the ST for a drive yesterday and cruise control does not work. Not a huge deal for me, since I've only used it a couple of times in almost 7 years of ownership, but bummed nonetheless. I did go through and check functionality of the other controls, including the horn, and all of that works great.
So your media controls work just fine...Right off the bat? Did your right side center button still change the source? Mine still does, change source and not voice prompt. Also my volume increases volume AND changes source lol. Just need to figure out how to change that somehow

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm betting (hoping) it's a setting you can change/enable through FORScan
Well I just got on a chat with some guys in China. My Sync3 upgrade supplier and they took a look at things. They said that it's more about how the hardware as a pin needs to be reprogrammed manually. I'd give up cruise if I could just have stereo controls working properly

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
Clock spring pin connector pin outs by model year.
2013 - 2014:

2015 - 2018:

Clock Springs are Identical between model years.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
Cruise Control diagrams by model year.

2013 - 2014:

2015 - 2018:

Both diagrams identical.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
LH Upper Switch by model year.

2013 - 2014:

2015 - 2016:

2017 - 2018:

Minor changes between model years.

*Change of note.

Removal of RH Lower Steering Wheel Switch Starting model year 2015.

Wiring between C2998 and C219CB 3 to 3 & 3 to 1 no longer passes through C260 inline connector. Also not different wiring colors schemes between Premium and Sony systems.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
RH Lower Steering Wheel Switch model years 2013 - 2014 only:

2015 - 2016:

Significant design and engineering changes.

The major changes include different resistor values and elimination of Zener diodes.

These changes represent a challenge when attempting to retrofit the a steering wheel the was originally equipped with the lower RH switch with another model year not equipped with such.

While nothing is impossible I will say that I don't believe the juice will be worth the squeeze for this one.

Stay Safe

J

·
Registered
216 Posts
RH Lower Steering Wheel Switch model years 2013 - 2014 only:
View attachment 380909 View attachment 380910

2015 - 2016:
View attachment 380911 View attachment 380912

Significant design and engineering changes.

The major changes include different resistor values and elimination of Zener diodes.

These changes represent a challenge when attempting to retrofit the a steering wheel the was originally equipped with the lower RH switch with another model year not equipped with such.

While nothing is impossible I will say that I don't believe the juice will be worth the squeeze for this one.

Stay Safe

J

Thank you kindly for all this. Sadly this all means greek to me. I guess I'd need to find someone who understands electronics and such to do this properly it seems. It's not just as simple as taking old controls leads from old wheel and splicing it in with new wheel. I'll see what I can do with this. Thank you again! I'll let you know if I ever get this done!

At the moment however annoying the right controls are the wheel itself feels great! It almost seems as if it may be been easier to get an aftermarket wheel and add the controls to the actual wheel, maybe not but whatever. Thanks J

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting. For being touted as a “world car” it certainly has its regional quirks around certain things.

Back on topic, disappointed that that there is potential reprogramming and/or wiring differences with the facelifted wheel. But I guess that was to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wiring diagrams just got posting in this discussion. Have you done a retrofit ? Did you have an
I can confirm that a steering wheel swap from a 2015-2018 Focus into a 2012-2014 does work. This holds true for any model (Escape and Focus, Sync 2 and Sync 3 swapped) and only required the use of a 2015-2018 Focus clock spring (or 2017-2019 Escape) to be fully functional (cruise control). No additional programming was required. Just thought I’d let everyone know in case someone wanted to perform the swap.

Sadly on the ST that hasn't been the same. It's very unfortunate. The wiring diagram on those vehicles must be inline with the steering wheel I the previous car. I have everything working BUT right hand media controls. I'd give anything to get this working.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So that being said, is the 2013 wiring setup compatible with the 2015 wheel? In other words, will all the buttons on a 2015 wheel work in a 2013 vehicle?
Short and sweet answer, NO. I have a '15 wheel on a '13 ST and the wheel works but the right hand media controls are lost. You do get the left hand menu control and cruise control as well.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
In summation for this to work you will need to swap additional audio components along with the newer steering wheel.

181 - 200 of 257 Posts