Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same exact issue I have had over the last couple of months, 2015 Ford Focus (SE) hatch. I have had a hell of a time finding anyone with the same issue until now.

Now I am having an issue getting any power at all until I give the positive battery cable a good tug in just the just right direction. I had the car lose all power while driving and when I finally got it started again, I did not have flashers, hill assist, or turn signals, and my windshield wipers were stuck on.

Does this all sound like the BCM 50A fuse? Battery is only 2 months old, connections are good, cables are good. This has been more frustrating than any other car/motorcycle issue I've had in the past.
This sounds exactly like what I went through, an absolute nightmare of a time solving a simple issue with the help of some great people. Seriously I can almost promise you that it is a cracked fuse in the battery junction box in front of the battery. If you read through this thread a little, you will find pictures and diagrams that should help. For me it was the BCM 50A fuse, (Mega 9 in the diagram) I replaced the fuse, cleared the code, and she has been running flawlessly since. That satisfying feeling of finally fixing an issue that feels impossible to find is unlike anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds exactly like what I went through, an absolute nightmare of a time solving a simple issue with the help of some great people. Seriously I can almost promise you that it is a cracked fuse in the battery junction box in front of the battery. If you read through this thread a little, you will find pictures and diagrams that should help. For me it was the BCM 50A fuse, (Mega 9 in the diagram) I replaced the fuse, cleared the code, and she has been running flawlessly since. That satisfying feeling of finally fixing an issue that feels impossible to find is unlike anything else.
I just got the fuses out and sure enough, one of the 50A BCM fuses tested bad. It wasn’t extremely apparent visually, but I tested with an MM to be sure, and it also felt loose/wobbly on either end.

Everything else looked good and checked out. Going to try and find a replacement fuse tomorrow (no luck locally so far..). Fingers crossed this will fix it!

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts
You should be fine. Please don't forget to check and clean your grounds.

J

Reactions: curlycrit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Checking back in. Replaced two of the BCM fuses and she started right up!

I called every auto parts store in Seattle and also electrical supply stores, no one had the fuses in stock. Ended up ordering a 3 pack from Amazon for $7.

I do however now have my check engine light on... I read the previous post with that issue and I took the battery cables off and held the brake for 30 seconds. This cleared the “Hill assist not available” light, however the check engine stayed on. I tried to reset again and it’s still on. It drives normal, so I guess I will just have to read the code and see what comes back.

Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Checking back in. Replaced two of the BCM fuses and she started right up!

I called every auto parts store in Seattle and also electrical supply stores, no one had the fuses in stock. Ended up ordering a 3 pack from Amazon for $7.

I do however now have my check engine light on... I read the previous post with that issue and I took the battery cables off and held the brake for 30 seconds. This cleared the “Hill assist not available” light, however the check engine stayed on. I tried to reset again and it’s still on. It drives normal, so I guess I will just have to read the code and see what comes back.

Anyone else run into this?
Yes, I did as well, and after an hour or so of driving, the light went off. Most likely because of all the wacky current going to the BCM, but after a fuse replacement and a little time it stabilized.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts
Go for a drive and see if the light goes away. If not let me know what code it is.

J

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue, where the key fob won't open anything and is not detected by the car. The only way to open the car was with the physical emergency key in the key fob. But once I opened it with the physical key it started to make a light beeping sound and it got faster till it stopped and the horn began to honk. I placed the key fob in the center console spot, but it didn't work. So long story short, I take it to the Ford dealership and the look at it, turns out you guys were right, it was the 50A fuse. It had a hairline crack per the service advisor. The replaced it with a new one and Bamm!! Car is back on the road no issues. But it is only been a few hours so I will report back on Friday with an update on the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue, where the key fob won't open anything and is not detected by the car. The only way to open the car was with the physical emergency key in the key fob. But once I opened it with the physical key it started to make a light beeping sound and it got faster till it stopped and the horn began to honk. I placed the key fob in the center console spot, but it didn't work. So long story short, I take it to the Ford dealership and the look at it, turns out you guys were right, it was the 50A fuse. It had a hairline crack per the service advisor. The replaced it with a new one and Bamm!! Car is back on the road no issues. But it is only been a few hours so I will report back on Friday with an update on the car.
Sorry for not posting Friday got caught up with stuff. But its still working like a charm!!!!! Thank God!!!! Saved myself a $1000 plus if it were to have been the module.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been having this same exact issue, I even paid towing fees to get my car home and paying a lock smith 300 bucks to reprogram my keys, it worked for 15 minutes before I had to get it towed home again. I really hope this solves my problem. I'll report back when I fix it and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been having this same exact issue, I even paid towing fees to get my car home and paying a lock smith 300 bucks to reprogram my keys, it worked for 15 minutes before I had to get it towed home again. I really hope this solves my problem. I'll report back when I fix it and let you know how it goes.
Please trust me on this one, and replace the BCM fuse. This is found in the battery junction box (the plate in front of the battery where the electrical systems is distributed). If your battery is at all loose, what happens is over time the fuse will crack due to the battery shifting over time, and although visually it is still intact, it likely needs replaced. Read over the 4th and 5th page of this thread if you need more info, including wiring diagrams and photos provided by ErinSalazar11 and SSgtjRobertson, and 86BlueCobra - true legends and the keepers of my sanity during that time.

DO NOT take your car to a dealership or shop thinking they can fix this easily, this is a complicated seeming electrical issue that caused me hours of brain racking and they will charge you out the ass. It's really a simple fix, and I promise this thread has all the info you need.

I'd be interested to hear what you find. I wish you the best of luck!

Chris

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts
@Hungrycat

Entire sticky post on this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please trust me on this one, and replace the BCM fuse. This is found in the battery junction box (the plate in front of the battery where the electrical systems is distributed). If your battery is at all loose, what happens is over time the fuse will crack due to the battery shifting over time, and although visually it is still intact, it likely needs replaced. Read over the 4th and 5th page of this thread if you need more info, including wiring diagrams and photos provided by ErinSalazar11 and SSgtjRobertson, and 86BlueCobra - true legends and the keepers of my sanity during that time.

DO NOT take your car to a dealership or shop thinking they can fix this easily, this is a complicated seeming electrical issue that caused me hours of brain racking and they will charge you out the ass. It's really a simple fix, and I promise this thread has all the info you need.

I'd be interested to hear what you find. I wish you the best of luck!

Chris
Hi Chris, I just replaced my BCM fuse, reconnected the battery and when I tried to turn on the car I still got the "No key detected"... I also replaced the antenna for the passive signal in the emergency start location under the center console. I know there is another antenna that I have the part to replace but don't see it. This has me so puzzled and frustrated. I love driving this car and it sucks that I'm having this issue :/ Any other fuses to check or any other ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Chris, I just replaced my BCM fuse, reconnected the battery and when I tried to turn on the car I still got the "No key detected"... I also replaced the antenna for the passive signal in the emergency start location under the center console. I know there is another antenna that I have the part to replace but don't see it. This has me so puzzled and frustrated. I love driving this car and it sucks that I'm having this issue :/ Any other fuses to check or any other ideas? Thanks!
Also, my car is a 2016 ST. The BCM fuse is 20A for me.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts
Also, my car is a 2016 ST. The BCM fuse is 20A for me.
Do you own a 2013 - 2018 Focus ST?

The BCM has two 50 amp midi fuses (100 amps total) that powers the individual outputs from the BCM itself.

Have you read the though the sticky post?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nevermind, I'm such a dummy, I didnt see the high junction voltage box. On my way back to auto zone to re buy the 50A fuse lmao. Hopefully this works, sheesh

81 - 95 of 95 Posts