Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help... Two key fobs, both are good, both batteries are good. Car battery is good. All these have been confirmed.. BUT... Car will not start. No key detected. Again, the car battery is fine. The 2 keyfobs I have both have new batteries. Also confirmed in good working order. Here is what is happening...

Last week when giving the car hard on the thottel the car died. I opened the hood and by giggling the positve battery cable I could use a fob and unlock the car and it would start up and go. This happened 2-3 more times but when I tried to start Sunday afternoon.. no key detected. I tried checking the terminals. All power works... lights, radio, everything. When I press the start it says NO KEY DETECTED. I unhooked the battery cables... this fixed before but now no. Nothing.

I tested the battery and it is fine (reads 12 volts). I tested the key fobs and batteries work fine. but clicking unlock or lock or trunk lid... nothing. I placed fob in console on the pad where the sensor is.. NO help! I replaced the battery cables this afternoon. NO help! I removed the air filter box and traced all the wires and nothing wrong. I checked every fuse under the hood, under the dash on passanger side and in the trunk... every fuse is good.

As you can tell I am super frustrated! Can anyone give me advise as I have been scouring the internet for hours and I cannot find a solution. I would love to take to the dealer.. No warranty and no money. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Sounds like the module that detects the key itself may be bad, or did the dealer install some sort of anti theft device?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was able to shut off the alarm with the keycode on the driver's door. I have thought it could be a module that detects the keyfob but no idea where it is or if I were to replace it how much it would cost. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Have you attempted to start the car by pushing the start button with the key itself? If it starts, id expect an antenna issue. I do find it odd that this started while you were having battery terminal issues though. But it only takes a second to try the key contact method to try and narrow it down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean physically pressing the start/stop buttun with the keyfob? Which end, thanks? I will try this.. seems pretty odd but I get it and will try pretty much anything at this point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you attempted to start the car by pushing the start button with the key itself? If it starts, id expect an antenna issue. I do find it odd that this started while you were having battery terminal issues though. But it only takes a second to try the key contact method to try and narrow it down.
I tried this method, pressing the start/stop using the key.. tried using both keys and no go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine does that sometimes. While I'm sitting in the car and the key isnt detected I lock and unlock the car from the key fob and it usually registers the Kay after that

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put the fob in the very bottom of the storage compartment under the center armrest and try to start it.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
LOL tried that with both keys several days ago. Does not work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine does that sometimes. While I'm sitting in the car and the key isnt detected I lock and unlock the car from the key fob and it usually registers the Kay after that
I wish that was the case for me. Nope. 5 days now its just sitting out front of my house. Changed the car battery too. No dice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So also neither key can lock/unlock the car. Sorry if I did not mention that earlier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh, you said you replaced the battery, I'm sure you snugged them up then. Did you check for blown fuses? To me it sounds like electricity isn't getting to various spots. Did you see if you have 12v in the car? Does the dome light come on? Do you have a multimeter you could go around and test points?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you check your battery terminals and make sure they were on there tight.
Yes. I also replaced the battery and the cables. Again I think its important to note that the car won't lock/unlock using either of the 2 keyfobs I have. I have to unlock using the hidden key in the fob or enter the code on the door to unlock and relock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you put the key into the steering wheel to try and start it?
There is no insert for a key anywhere in the car.. start/stop push button only. I also tried putting key in the console and I also tried pushing the button with the key. Nothing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, you said you replaced the battery, I'm sure you snugged them up then. Did you check for blown fuses? To me it sounds like electricity isn't getting to various spots. Did you see if you have 12v in the car? Does the dome light come on? Do you have a multimeter you could go around and test points?
Yes, I manually removed and inspected every fuse in the engine compartment, under the glove box and inside the hatchback. I did find one fuse that was blown, a 20 amp for the ciggar lighter/power port. I replaced it but that did not resolve anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I manually removed and inspected every fuse in the engine compartment, under the glove box and inside the hatchback. I did find one fuse that was blown, a 20 amp for the ciggar lighter/power port. I replaced it but that did not resolve anything.
I even removed the air box so I could follow and inspect all wires coming from the battery compartment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no insert for a key anywhere in the car.. start/stop push button only. I also tried putting key in the console and I also tried pushing the button with the key. Nothing.
Sorry.. I should have read your whole response first LOL.. yes, I have a meter. The battery was measuring 12.4 (should be 12.6 volts) so I replaced the battery as well as had my battery charged over night.
Yes, all interior lights work, headlamps and radio turns on however I cannot double-tap the start/stop to turn on/setup on the dash. When I open the door the touchscreen fires up and the "ST" logo comes up on the instrument panel but thats pretty much all I can do. Note the keyfobs do not lock or unlock the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think there's a cover on the steering wheel that you take off and put the key into. I'll try to take a picture.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts