Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a little trouble figuring out what is going on with my car. When I get on it in high boost, randomly the car just shuts down like a rev limiter or traction control is activated. Traction control is off, usually happens at about 5-6k rpm. Would this be a fuel cut, Misfire or bigger problem?

Current Modifications are:

• The BEAST intercooler(Problem was before bigger intercooler)
  • NGK one step colder plugs
  • MBRP 3" intake tube
  • AEM(K&N) Filter
  • MBRP 3" Catless Downpipe
  • MBRP 3" Catback Exhaust
  • Cobb AP V3(Custom tune by Troy Ramsey @ Panda Motorworks)93 Octane (Running Currently) & e30 tune ran on occasion.
  • Torque Solutions Throttle Body Spacer
  • Stock Turbo

Spark plugs are gapped to specs, gotten firmware update on the ECU because car is a 2015 and had a minor recall for rough idle. The custom tune has been ran by many in my area and have experienced no problems.

Thanks for your time and consideration for whoever responds to help me troubleshoot. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Datalog

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Visual representation:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
For the visually impaired...
Capture.PNG

Reactions: cheap_ass_alex

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need to flame guys, just trying to troubleshoot. Some aren't as knowledgeable as others. I will include datalogs as soon as I find them in my email that I sent to my tuner.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Why aren't you sending these to your tuner and asking them why your car is or isn't doing something?

Just a thought but most tuners can fix their tunes to make them better. no two cars are the same that is why no two cars can be tuned the same. A OTS tune is just a basic tune that for the most part is safe for all cars but should be tuned to make it right for your car.

Nick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why aren't you sending these to your tuner and asking them why your car is or isn't doing something?

Just a thought but most tuners can fix their tunes to make them better. no two cars are the same that is why no two cars can be tuned the same. A OTS tune is just a basic tune that for the most part is safe for all cars but should be tuned to make it right for your car.

Nick
Nick, I actually did message my tuner. He is a great guy, and told me that everything looks fine. I told him the problem that I had going on, but as far as what he could see from the logs, he could not tell a issue. So I am kinda stuck in a hard spot right now with that.

Just a suggestion: Use datazap.me | Fast, Free, Interactive Datalogs next time. Really helps visualize/see whats going on in the logs.
I will check that out Ayada, thanks! I'm new to the performance modifying area...I have done mostly visual and car audio in the past, and just a smidge performance. Before this I owned a 2013 Scion FR-S, CF hood, CF trunk, E85 tune, Light weight crank Pulley, CAI, perrin catback exhaust 2.5", AEM 5 point strut brace and aftermarket wheels. Before that was a mazdaspeed 3 with basic bolt on mods and stock turbo. So this is the first car I've had that I have done mostly all performance upgrades myself.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Nick, I actually did message my tuner. He is a great guy, and told me that everything looks fine. I told him the problem that I had going on, but as far as what he could see from the logs, he could not tell a issue. So I am kinda stuck in a hard spot right now with that.
well good luck... if you tuner cant find a issue with his tube I doubt anyone here will be able to.

Might want to shop for a new tuner if you really think that is the issue. other tuners will look at your log and can fix if needed and tune your car the way they deem worthy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well good luck... if you tuner cant find a issue with his tube I doubt anyone here will be able to.

Might want to shop for a new tuner if you really think that is the issue. other tuners will look at your log and can fix if needed and tune your car the way they deem worthy.
I was thinking about doing so. I have been talking to a couple different tuners, Stratified, Deadhook, and Dynosty. Reading reviews and doing my research before I pull the trigger. I appreciate the positive response Nick and the good luck. I need it to find out what is going on due to my ignorance of a turbo platform. I am willing to learn and troubleshoot. I find performance modifying very neat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have your clutch assist spring removed?
I have not modified the clutch at all no. The only thing that has been done is a short throw with transmission plate adapter also. But this issue was there even before that install.

I am actually installing MOTORCRAFT SPARK PLUG SET - SP-537 today replacing my NGK one step colder plugs. I was told sometimes the car runs better with the motorcraft.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you have FFS enabled on your tune? I wonder if you may have a faulty clutch switch that is causing the car to think the clutch is depressed and is enabling the FFS rev limit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go back to stock tune or use another tune like cobb stage 3 and see what happen. That way you know if the tune is the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have FFS enabled on your tune? I wonder if you may have a faulty clutch switch that is causing the car to think the clutch is depressed and is enabling the FFS rev limit.
I asked him about the FFS, he said it was disabled in both tunes. I was thinking that could be it also.

Go back to stock tune or use another tune like cobb stage 3 and see what happen. That way you know if the tune is the problem.
I will try that and see if it helps, will keep you posted. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts