Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to my fellow ST owners,

I got my 2014 ST3 about 8 months ago and when I bought it, it had a slight split in the dashboard right at the seam of the passenger airbag. After a while the seam started to grow larger and now I am slightly concerned for the airbag and my dash. Anyone got any advice on how I should go about fixing it? Can't seem to find a thread for this issue.

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive design Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior Tints and shades

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
The short answer is going to be no.

You can see the outline of the airbag area. This is a thin spot that will have a controlled tear in the event of deployment. If you go about trying to mend this, you affect how this area tears in the event of an accident therefore you could cause a passenger serious injury.

You're looking at dash pad replacement.

· Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
5,391 Posts
I can see more and more of my air bag outline every year. Nothing lasts forever.

Reactions: TurboGT

· Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,706 Posts
Black RTV FTW. Maybe in a couple passes and use duct tape to hold the seam together in a few spots? If you have a garage or can keep out of sun, might work and not be too dangerous? :unsure:

· Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,297 Posts
Hello to my fellow ST owners,

I got my 2014 ST3 about 8 months ago and when I bought it, it had a slight split in the dashboard right at the seam of the passenger airbag. After a while the seam started to grow larger and now I am slightly concerned for the airbag and my dash. Anyone got any advice on how I should go about fixing it? Can't seem to find a thread for this issue.

View attachment 402859
View attachment 402858
I don't have a split in this location (yet) thank God, but I do have a bubble further over to the left at the crease line above the center display. I posted about it recently. Still debating what to do about the bubble (the members on here gave some great input/suggestions on that). I have reverted to using my sunshade religiously again to hopefully prevent things like this happening to me too.....mine's a 2013, so I have a feeling that we are going to see more and more of this, starting with the earlier cars (especially those in the Southern States and/or those that live outside all the time).

· Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
1,712 Posts
I must admit, I’ve never seen this on the European cars, even those that live in the hot Mediterranean countries, I wonder if our German built cars use a slightly thicker plastic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.