Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of the lucky ST owners that received a car that did not come with a factory installed drain tube on the passenger side for the sunroof. I found out after a leaving my car out in the rain that a sizable puddle of water would build up on the passenger side floor. Seeing how I have had issues with my local Ford dealer's service department I decided "how hard can it be?". Its kind of a pain in the a$$ but I have the satisfaction of knowing the dealer didn't screw up my car;)

Anyways, I searched the forum and the internet trying to find out how the hose was routed and where it came out of the car. I am posting a few pics just in case anyone else needs to know this information because the information i found was not clear.

Basically the tube connects at the corner of the sunroof, runs down the A-pillar behind the trim, between the dashboard and the car frame, through a sizable hole (large enough to get a hand in), and there is finally a small hole that the drain end fits through. It helps a lot to remove/loosen the sun visor, the grab handle, a-pillar trim, glovebox and associated trim, the rubber door seal. This should give enough room to pull down ever so gently on the headliner and push the tube onto the sunroof assembly.

View 1.JPG

View 2.JPG

View 3.JPG

View 4.JPG

View 5.JPG

Hopefully this useful information if anyone has issues with the drain.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I had to laugh at the first into sentence...thank God I have that installed lol. Great and helpful writeup for any others who are as lucky as yourself!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to laugh at the first into sentence...thank God I have that installed lol. Great and helpful writeup for any others who are as lucky as yourself!
ha, I am glad this and the wire splice have been the only issues from the factory, so pretty lucky outside of that.

We have had a few days of solid rain here in Ohio. So far not a drop of water inside the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I recently got a 2013 Ford Focus ST. After a very intense rain the driver's side floor boards were puddling with water. I brought it to a specialty ford mechanic, they attempted to unclog the drain, $100 later they said it sorta worked but more flooding might be in your future. Great, just great, so I pulled up the carpet to get some air to it and sop up the water. Tried a bunch of different size wires to further try to unclog it, but the wires were either too flimsy or too thick. I am worried that I might have punctured the tubing further, any suggestions for further troubleshooting.

Here is what I have tested/observed so far:
Cowling drains, poured water down corner, steady stream was seen.
Inserted wires of different sizes in moon roof drain, going up to about a foot (mechanic said he was able to get about 5 ft), poured water down drain points; slow drainage, small dripping was coming from the middle center of car.

I am extremely worried about the next rain storm and the quotes I got from the water doctor were in the $350s. Sorry for the long post, any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hello,

I recently got a 2013 Ford Focus ST. After a very intense rain the driver's side floor boards were puddling with water. I brought it to a specialty ford mechanic, they attempted to unclog the drain, $100 later they said it sorta worked but more flooding might be in your future. Great, just great, so I pulled up the carpet to get some air to it and sop up the water. Tried a bunch of different size wires to further try to unclog it, but the wires were either too flimsy or too thick. I am worried that I might have punctured the tubing further, any suggestions for further troubleshooting.

Here is what I have tested/observed so far:
Cowling drains, poured water down corner, steady stream was seen.
Inserted wires of different sizes in moon roof drain, going up to about a foot (mechanic said he was able to get about 5 ft), poured water down drain points; slow drainage, small dripping was coming from the middle center of car.

I am extremely worried about the next rain storm and the quotes I got from the water doctor were in the $350s. Sorry for the long post, any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Well if you'd like, I have a brand new set of left and right sunroof drain hoses for the 12-18 Ford focus, lemme know if you need them

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4 Posts
I am one of the lucky ST owners that received a car that did not come with a factory installed drain tube on the passenger side for the sunroof. I found out after a leaving my car out in the rain that a sizable puddle of water would build up on the passenger side floor. Seeing how I have had issues with my local Ford dealer's service department I decided "how hard can it be?". Its kind of a pain in the a$$ but I have the satisfaction of knowing the dealer didn't screw up my car;)

Anyways, I searched the forum and the internet trying to find out how the hose was routed and where it came out of the car. I am posting a few pics just in case anyone else needs to know this information because the information i found was not clear.

Basically the tube connects at the corner of the sunroof, runs down the A-pillar behind the trim, between the dashboard and the car frame, through a sizable hole (large enough to get a hand in), and there is finally a small hole that the drain end fits through. It helps a lot to remove/loosen the sun visor, the grab handle, a-pillar trim, glovebox and associated trim, the rubber door seal. This should give enough room to pull down ever so gently on the headliner and push the tube onto the sunroof assembly.

View attachment 214665

View attachment 214673

View attachment 214681

View attachment 214689

View attachment 214697

Hopefully this useful information if anyone has issues with the drain.
TOTALLY WRONG INFORMATION. THAT BLACK BUTTON IS NOT THE TERMINATION POINT FOR THE DRAIN TUBE. IT'S A LOCATOR FOR THE FOAM INSERT. YOU'LL NEVER SEE WATER EXITING THAT BLACK BUTTON.

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
TOTALLY WRONG INFORMATION. THAT BLACK BUTTON IS NOT THE TERMINATION POINT FOR THE DRAIN TUBE. IT'S A LOCATOR FOR THE FOAM INSERT. YOU'LL NEVER SEE WATER EXITING THAT BLACK BUTTON.
Why are you yelling?

·
Banned
4 Posts
Who’s “yelling”? As a retired Ford engineer I’m providing facts. Want the ST Forums to be of value to readers? Then correct misinformation there.

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
Who’s “yelling”? As a retired Ford engineer I’m providing facts. Want the ST Forums to be of value to readers? Then correct misinformation there.
Hey man, maybe you should calm down.

This is a discussion forum, none of the information is guaranteed to be accurate as it's mostly submitted by hobbyists.

Can you supply the correct diagrams and pictures to correct this post from three years ago? That would be actually beneficial versus your caps locked post.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Chillax yourself dude-ski.

First, go here: OneDrive

Second download the 2012-2013 Ford Focus Workshop Manual.

Third, search on drain hose routing.

Fourth, stop hassling me with your snarky replies.

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
Chillax yourself dude-ski.

First, go here: OneDrive

Second download the 2012-2013 Ford Focus Workshop Manual.

Third, search on drain hose routing.

Fourth, stop hassling me with your snarky replies.
I have the manual, and it doesnt clearly show the drains. It's pretty terrible. I was hoping you had some better information.

I was just wondering why you yelled at someone for being wrong, instead of helping fix the problem. Seemed like a counterproductive thing to do.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Would you be happier if I went back, stated that I am clueless and can’t deep dive Ford Service Literature to find answers, and wish you all good luck? Good luck dude.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Would you be happier if I went back, stated that I am clueless and can’t deep dive Ford Service Literature to find answers, and wish you all good luck? Good luck dude.
Basic internet etiquette, caps lock words are the equivalent of yelling.

Old man, be nice to the young whipper snappers and stop being so angry.

Pro tip from the younger generation... Write your message while smiling. It will change the overall tone of your message

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
You called the OP out for being wrong, then just link the service manual.

I checked the fender, wheel wells, all the roof sections, and this is all I can find.

Which sucks for all of us. I havn't had to work on any ST's for drain problems, so I dont have any firsthand experience with them, nor have I looked for them.

So any additional information you can supply, would be awesome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
You seemed to come out pretty strong with your first couple posts brah.

Folks around here are pretty easy going, knowledgeable, and helpful - including those who’ve already posted in this thread today.

Maybe consider a reset of sorts which includes a kindly introduction, telling us about your car(s) along with the cool things you did while working at Ford??

Like @mitch808 mentioned, it’s generally accepted Internet protocol that if you post with ALL CAPS, it’s the equivalent of yelling or speaking very aggressively in person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I disagree, I verified the installation with the factory installed driver's side drain tube with a cup of water. Put the water in the sunroof drain watched it come out the black plastic drain on the driver's side. I also used the ford service manual to make sure i understood the routing.

Same hole same location, there was black plastic plug on the passenger side, it's been awhile there is a possibility of other black plastic plugs or holes, but I am pretty sure I found the correct one considering I haven't had an issue since.

As another poster mentioned, If I am wrong please provide a better description, preferably with photos, to correct what you think is wrong.

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
Sorry I disagree, I verified the installation with the factory installed driver's side drain tube with a cup of water. Put the water in the sunroof drain watched it come out the black plastic drain on the driver's side. I also used the ford service manual to make sure i understood the routing.

Same hole same location, there was black plastic plug on the passenger side, it's been awhile there is a possibility of other black plastic plugs or holes, but I am pretty sure I found the correct one considering I haven't had an issue since.

As another poster mentioned, If I am wrong please provide a better description, preferably with photos, to correct what you think is wrong.
Lol, don't pay him no mind. He just posted to be a dick.

Yeah, i verified as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts