Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to the focus scene, looking to buy a used 2014 with 95k on the body, 40k on the engine, for $9,000. Seems too good of a deal to be true, but Im going to look at it today. Im looking for help on what to look for in terms of mechanical issues or red flags. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I read the ad twice & the way I’m understanding it is that they pulled the original engine (for whatever reason) & replaced it with a used engine that had 40k miles already on it?

I don’t know, it wouldn’t be something I’m interested in however if that’s within your budget & it’s local to you, then go over & take a look, maybe find a mechanic in town & pay for an inspection etc.

I feel like if you up your budget a few grand & look around, you’ll be able to find an ST with the original engine & half the mileage.

It looks like a clean vehicle though & I love the ST3 Pkg., along with Tuxedo Black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm not able to click through to fb at the moment but for $9k, is it a rebuilt/salvage title? The big things i would look for is clutch and shifting, issues shifting from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 would mean the synchro's are going and thats an expensive fix (get to drop the trans.)

Check the miles to empty/range, extremely low number there would be mean the purge vavle/fuel tank are failing. Checking the vin with Ford for open recalls is always a good idea. I would check for rust on the fenders and bottom of the hatch, dealing with rust under paint isnt something you want to deal with.

Otherwise, these cars are pretty stout and reliable when taking care of (check maintenance records.) It's always a good idea to get a pro to look it over, worth an hour of shop time to get a proper inspection prior to spending thousands on it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not able to click through to fb at the moment but for $9k, is it a rebuilt/salvage title? The big things i would look for is clutch and shifting, issues shifting from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 would mean the synchro's are going and thats an expensive fix (get to drop the trans.)

Check the miles to empty/range, extremely low number there would be mean the purge vavle/fuel tank are failing. Checking the vin with Ford for open recalls is always a good idea. I would check for rust on the fenders and bottom of the hatch, dealing with rust under paint isnt something you want to deal with.

Otherwise, these cars are pretty stout and reliable when taking care of (check maintenance records.) It's always a good idea to get a pro to look it over, worth an hour of shop time to get a proper inspection prior to spending thousands on it
It isnt a rebuilt or salvage. The guy seems like he’s older and just doesn’t care. He said the clutch was replaced while the old engine was out just because it was easy/ convenient to do it then. How would I go about getting an inspection if it’s 2.5 hours away? Im on my way up there right now, should I call a shop around the area and see if they could do it? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It isnt a rebuilt or salvage. The guy seems like he’s older and just doesn’t care. He said the clutch was replaced while the old engine was out just because it was easy/ convenient to do it then. How would I go about getting an inspection if it’s 2.5 hours away? Im on my way up there right now, should I call a shop around the area and see if they could do it? Thanks in advance
yeah, just call some shops and say you are looking at a car locally and you want them to inspect it. Some places call it a PPI, pre-purchase inspection. You may not be able to find something on short notice though, wont hurt to call around to ask.

Otherwise, just be mindful when test driving it. Try to make sure everything you touch works, run the heat, run the ac.
Sit in every seat. Listen for random noises when driving. Get the car up to hw speeds, drive it on slow roads, take some turns at speed ect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, just call some shops and say you are looking at a car locally and you want them to inspect it. Some places call it a PPI, pre-purchase inspection. You may not be able to find something on short notice though, wont hurt to call around to ask.

Otherwise, just be mindful when test driving it. Try to make sure everything you touch works, run the heat, run the ac.
Sit in every seat. Listen for random noises when driving. Get the car up to hw speeds, drive it on slow roads, take some turns at speed ect.
BOUGHT IT! Arranged for a last minute inspection and the guy found nothing but a TPS that fell off into the tire. After 250 miles in 2 days, I havent found a single thing wrong either. I think I got the deal of a lifetime here, thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts