Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Have a bit of an issue with my controls and commands, but I recently ditched the stock steering wheel for an aftermarket one and ever since then my traction control light stays on and when I try tapping the ESC button nothing works.

When I hold the esc button it acts as if its disabling everything but nothing works there. Are all the sensors that controls this in the stock wheel?

I have seen many of the WRX guys relocate their controls and use brackets to mount them to. Would this be my only other option?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've seen this happen on a VW and Mini where the steering angle sensor went bad. You might want to look into that and see if the st has a steering anglw sensor. If it does and it wasn't in the aftermarket steering wheel then it will cause the ESC to throw codes

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen this happen on a VW and Mini where the steering angle sensor went bad. You might want to look into that and see if the st has a steering anglw sensor. If it does and it wasn't in the aftermarket steering wheel then it will cause the ESC to throw codes

That's gotta be it! So I am better off either taking those off from the stock wheel and see if I can DIY something huh?

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's gotta be it! So I am better off either taking those off from the stock wheel and see if I can DIY something huh?
I looked it up and the sensor is in the clock spring so you should be able to swap it over. Unless it's a different style, just use the whole assembly and don't break it. Btw you will have to wind it back some and give it tension because if you don't you will break the wires and your looking at a new clock spring assembly

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked it up and the sensor is in the clock spring so you should be able to swap it over. Unless it's a different style, just use the whole assembly and don't break it. Btw you will have to wind it back some and give it tension because if you don't you will break the wires and your looking at a new clock spring assembly

Awesome thanks man, I will have to take a look soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fully Bolted Stock Turbo with extra tweaks

1/4 mile- 13.00
1/4 mile- 13.10
1/4 mile- 13.14

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update..

So I went ahead and took everything apart make sure nothing was loose and put the wheel back on and tightened everything down. The next day my esc button was able to work and tc light was not on! then it happened again lol. So I am wondering if it may be just the position of the clock spring. Not sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Update..

So I went ahead and took everything apart make sure nothing was loose and put the wheel back on and tightened everything down. The next day my esc button was able to work and tc light was not on! then it happened again lol. So I am wondering if it may be just the position of the clock spring. Not sure.
Sounds like a short. When u took the clock spring apart did it sling all the way till there was no tension? And when this happens does anything else no work on your steering wheel, ie; horn, cruise control, radio buttons. And did u use the stock clock spring or did u re use the aftermarket?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those that are wondering. If you decide to put an aftermarket steering wheel on and a quick release with hub adapter, you will need to take off the stock steering wheel harness connector and diy it to your aftermarket wheel or something. Without doing so you will trip the ESC light and it will not work. It will decide to work and not work constantly. I believe sparco sells external mounting plates that sits between the release and steering wheel.

Once I figure out everything and my DIY I will post pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts