Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but I thought I would share some pictures of some LED tail lights I installed recently on my car. I purchased them through amazon. I did see another thread where pictures of this tail light style were posted but there weren't too many night time photos taken and very few on a black car.

20170502_203152.jpg 20170502_205745.jpg

This is a comparison shot of the stock and new lights.
20170502_203144.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the look. There are some fitment issues but I'm hoping to find some sort of adhesive tomorrow to help hold down the front of the light piece to make it completely flush with the body.

Reactions: smitty st

·
Registered
979 Posts
I like!! May have to be on the short list of cosmetic mods.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What sort of fitment issues were you having exactly?

Could you post a link of the tail lights? How difficult was the installation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What sort of fitment issues were you having exactly?

Could you post a link of the tail lights? How difficult was the installation?
I'll try taking a picture later of the fitment issue but the light housing doesn't sit completely flush.

Installation wasn't too bad at all. It is a direct plug and play. You do have to take out your stock reverse light bulb though and plug it into this one. The rest of the lights are built directly into the light housing itself.

Here's a link to the ones I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X...smoked+red&dpPl=1&dpID=41UvMi1gqVL&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pictures of it not sitting 100% flush:

20170504_062745.jpg 20170504_062710.jpg

It's hard to see it on the 2nd picture but the first one shows it pretty good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does your issue just seem to be an adhesive issue and not something like the new housings lining up or something?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does your issue just seem to be an adhesive issue and not something like the new housings lining up or something?
No, it appears that the housing itself is just a little off. It isn't horrible or anything and you don't notice it unless you are closer. I'm sure if I grinded just a bit of the plastic on the back of the light housing, it would fit tighter. I'm ok with it though as is.

On a side note, I was a little worried the lights wouldn't be bright enough but I was able to still see it in the day time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't mean to rain on your parade but those brake lights are pretty weak. They only match the brightness of the parking lights instead of matching the intensity of the third brake light. In the daylight they will be invisible.

·
Administrator
11,895 Posts

·
Administrator
11,895 Posts
Don't mean to rain on your parade but those brake lights are pretty weak. They only match the brightness of the parking lights instead of matching the intensity of the third brake light. In the daylight they will be invisible.
Which is why i didnt go full tinted. Too dull to see. Unsafe imho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, not raining on my parade. I appreciate your feedback. While you are correct that they aren't aa bright as the 3rd brake light, you actually can see them in the daytime fine. I don't have any pictures but they are visible.

Take the front stud out of your OEM tails and install it on your LED tails. It will suck it in further.
Ok, I'll have to give that a try. The stud actually had some washers on it that you can remove to make it sit more flush if necessary but even that wasn't enough.

·
Administrator
11,895 Posts
Ok, I'll have to give that a try. The stud actually had some washers on it that you can remove to make it sit more flush if necessary but even that wasn't enough.
I have the clear reds, swapping the stud is the pro move. I tend to be the guinea pig for tons of mods, root out the issues,find how to do it better, share the knowledge. ;)

Reactions: ST1Dale

·
Registered
21 Posts
No, not raining on my parade. I appreciate your feedback. While you are correct that they aren't aa bright as the 3rd brake light, you actually can see them in the daytime fine. I don't have any pictures but they are visible.

Pictures in direct sunlight would be best. This is when they will become invisible. Especially if you can compare it to the stock lamp in the same conditions. For the price that these things cost, the quality is severely lacking. I'd maybe pay $100 for them because I'd have to gut them basically and run new diodes and drivers.

·
Administrator
11,895 Posts
Pictures in direct sunlight would be best. This is when they will become invisible. Especially if you can compare it to the stock lamp in the same conditions. For the price that these things cost, the quality is severely lacking. I'd maybe pay $100 for them because I'd have to gut them basically and run new diodes and drivers.
Price they cost? They are cheap ebay tails, cheap you pay, cheap you get.

They come in 4 different color combinations, and the LEDs have lasted me a few years so far. I don't really know what else you could want. Unless your gripe is with the dark tint color, then I can understand maybe trying to up the light output. A few of my other ST buddies have the other colors, they hold up fine, but as already noted one of the colors is less of a tail light and more of a taillight suppressor, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

They come in 4 different color combinations, and the LEDs have lasted me a few years so far. I don't really know what else you could want. Unless your gripe is with the dark tint color, then I can understand maybe trying to up the light output. A few of my other ST buddies have the other colors, they hold up fine, but as already noted one of the colors is less of a tail light and more of a taillight suppressor, lol.
Haha ya, definitely not as bright "appearing" as the other colors. But they weren't all that expensive, so I am happy with how they are.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
21 Posts

Cheapest I saw was $220 which is cheaper than what I remember them being but still not what I'd consider cheap. But you're right, cheap you pay, cheap you get which is exactly what these are. The diodes are so underdriven that I wouldn't expect any failures out of them. My gripe with these is that they fail to meet even stock levels of brightness. You're literally paying money for a downgrade. The parking light is fine but the brake light and signal don't even exceed the brightness of the parking light which is dangerous.

·
Administrator
11,895 Posts
Cheapest I saw was $220 which is cheaper than what I remember them being but still not what I'd consider cheap. But you're right, cheap you pay, cheap you get which is exactly what these are. The diodes are so underdriven that I wouldn't expect any failures out of them. My gripe with these is that they fail to meet even stock levels of brightness. You're literally paying money for a downgrade. The parking light is fine but the brake light and signal don't even exceed the brightness of the parking light which is dangerous.

My lights are quite bright actually. In all functions. They really notify the **** out of people, lol

The OP chose the dark tinted tails out of 4 different housing color options, which of course will have the least amount of light transfer. Unlike my set, which have probably the best amount of light transfer through the lens.

So it's not really the lack of light output, but the lens color selection. Just like all those clowns who tint their headlights, lmao.

I have personally dealt with all 4 color varieties, and those tint ones are too dark for my liking. The rest of them are fine and brighter than stock for sure.

As far as the price goes, as the original owner of my ST3 I bought a 30k dollar car. 200 dollar ebay Chinese lights are cheap in the grand scheme of things. Hell center caps for Gram lights are 200 bucks, highway robbery for sure.

Everyone has different budgets, but modifying a new-ish platform (I still remember when it was fresh out of the oven) costs some coin. Gotta pay to play.

Reactions: Klay

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I dont know what kind of cars you have modified, but $220-250 for tail lights is CHEAP. Considering any euro car is above 400, and most of the muscle car scene is the same, your really comparing ours in price to those terrible Azzera chrome style tails from mid 90's civics. They look under-driven because the tints heavy on those lenses. Got a guy living near me with the clean version like Deuce .. and they are bright as **** when your in a car behind him at eye level with the lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To each there own. It might be a downgrade to you but I think it looks way better than stock. I can see how the color may be too dark for some but it literally is not as dark as you think they are. I felt this color worked better for my black car. Others may prefer one of the other colors of this style.

Other than the fitment issue, I think they are well worth the price paid for them. Like others have said, $250 is cheap in the grand scheme of things. Especially when you consider how much other modifications for this car cost.

Reactions: zerocoolxx
1 - 20 of 27 Posts