Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horn stopped working and I immediately suspected a blown fuse. Bought a new fuse, took the old one out and it was blown as I thought. Replaced it and the horn still does not work.

Is this a power connection issue?

Appreciate any help as I need to get it inspected soon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My horn stopped working and I immediately suspected a blown fuse. Bought a new fuse, took the old one out and it was blown as I thought. Replaced it and the horn still does not work.

Thanks.
Did the replacement fuse blow after replacement?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Reactions: tpiechow

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine stopped too. The fuse was fine, the relay was fine (I could still hear it clicking when I locked my car). It was the weirdest thing. Then one day I was just walking towards the car and clicking the lock button a bunch for no reason. After like 20 clicks, I heard the lock beep and it's worked ever since!

It was probably just a weird freak thing with my car, but it's worth a try lol.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The horn is in effect a near-short to begin with. It does not take much for it to become a full short to ground. The horn coil could've shorted out internally, or one of the wires could've broken and shorted to the frame.

You very likely blew the second fuse you put in. If that is the case, do not continue to put fuses in. DO NOT PUT A BIGGER FUSE IN. DO NOT PUT A BIGGER FUSE IN.

You need to figure out what shorted, and where. Step one is disconnecting the positive wire from the horns. Put the same size fuse in then. If that blows, your horns are good but you have a wiring issue. Take it to a shop or break out a multimeter. If the fuse stays good, plug one horn back in. If the fuse blows, that is the faulty horn. If it does not blow, the other horn is faulty;replace it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If the fuse isn't open, check to see if there are any codes in the BCM. The horn is likely FET protected within the BCM, so if there are codes then it likely will shut down the circuit. Once the codes are cleared, disconnect the horn then put the fuse back in.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I hate to say it, but you might want to check to make sure no animals have chewed on the horn/wires as well. I bring this up because it happened to my mom a couple times on the Focus that she had.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Mine stopped working about 6 months ago also. I plan to do some diagnosis and report back.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My horn stopped working as well. Before it stopped working, it sounded somewhat muffled. Then, I installed the mountune intercooler which requires relocation of the horn. Easy peasy, horn sounded better after that (thought maybe whatever the issue was fixed itself). Then it started sounding muffled again and now just quit entirely. Checked the fuse, it is fine. I have no solution, just thought I share my experience since it is relevant.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most likely just the horns shorting out, that's what happened to mine. Gave me an excuse to install Hellas since the Hella Supertones were the same price as the stocks and I could relocate them.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hey, so funny story. I went to put a tester up to my horns, wiggled the wires a bit as I was assessing where everything was at ... and out of curiosity before I started removing the bumper to get a better angle, I tapped the steering wheel. Sure enough it worked.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a repeat issue with the connector to the horn module loosening up and losing connectivity. After several attempts to secure it, I said screw it. I installed replacement horns on the factory hanger and made my own wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks.
Same thing happened to me. Had to replace the entire horn. This was two weeks ago, and again tonight when I went to lock the car - NO MORE HORN. I have to follow-up with my mechanic to see what could be the underlying problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts