Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so last night on a quick run to the grocery store, I went over some train tracks at no more than 5mph after a stop sign, and the bumps aren't big at all, and heard a "POP."

Thought to myself, maybe it was in the song I was listening to...drove another 30 feet and heard a rattle from the rear left. Immediately pulled into an empty lot and got under the car in the stones. Nothing seems to be wrong...

Drove the remaining 100 yard to the grocery store, still rattling. Thought maybe a bulb or something exploded and was rattling. Got my groceries and limped home.

Tore all the rear hatch equipment out and lowered rear seats, bouncing on back of car warranted a rattle sound from the top of the strut assembly underneath the plastic in the interior...well, pretty sure I found the problem area.

Looked up underneath in the dark with a flashlight and mirror, turns out the bracket or whatever it is on the top of the rear driver's side shock is busted. Wheel feels definitely not right...so I assume it's definitely a big deal part that came loose. Not sure how the suspension is setup in the rear, and not too much about our suspension to begin with. Is the piece in the image below replaceable, or is there probable shock damage and is it advised to just replace the entire assembly? Also, I'm sure replacing one side's shock and not the other would be highly stupid, so if I have to replace them, what 2 shocks should I purchase to maintain stock height? Should I just stick with the BV6Z-18125-E? (Not a chance I can lower my car, even an inch. I drag in my driveway already.)

Tagging @Duece McCracken since I texted him last night about it

Edit: we are pretty certain it's this: https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-bracket-shock-absorber_dg9z-18a161-c.html

Need to get back under or pull the wheel to get a better look.
Picture of broken piece 20170822_083659.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
Okay, so last night on a quick run to the grocery store, I went over some train tracks at no more than 5mph after a stop sign, and the bumps aren't big at all, and heard a "POP."

Thought to myself, maybe it was in the song I was listening to...drove another 30 feet and heard a rattle from the rear left. Immediately pulled into an empty lot and got under the car in the stones. Nothing seems to be wrong...

Drove the remaining 100 yard to the grocery store, still rattling. Thought maybe a bulb or something exploded and was rattling. Got my groceries and limped home.

Tore all the rear hatch equipment out and lowered rear seats, bouncing on back of car warranted a rattle sound from the top of the strut assembly underneath the plastic in the interior...well, pretty sure I found the problem area.

Looked up underneath in the dark with a flashlight and mirror, turns out the bracket or whatever it is on the top of the rear driver's side shock is busted. Wheel feels definitely not right...so I assume it's definitely a big deal part that came loose. Not sure how the suspension is setup in the rear, and not too much about our suspension to begin with. What would this piece be, and is there a chance at fixing it or is it a full replace kind of thing? Also, I'm sure replacing one side and not the other would be highly stupid, so if I have to replace it, what 2 shocks should I purchase to maintain stock height? (Not a chance I can lower my car, even an inch. I drag in my driveway already.)

Tagging @Duece McCracken since I texted him last night about it

Edit: we are pretty certain it's this: https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-bracket-shock-absorber_dg9z-18a161-c.html

Need to get back under or pull the wheel to get a better look.
Picture of broken piece View attachment 269649
If that's all that broke, then I have good news: That support bracket is likely $40 from RockAuto and takes about 30 mins to replace.

You don't need to do both but that wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, in the rear, the spring is separate from strut, so your springs are likely just fine.

Best of luck.

Cody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that's all that broke, then I have good news: That support bracket is likely $40 from RockAuto and takes about 30 mins to replace.

You don't need to do both but that wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, in the rear, the spring is separate from strut, so your springs are likely just fine.

Best of luck.

Cody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the reply, the part I labeled is like 98% for sure the one that broke, it was a quick look at 11pm with a mirrow and flashlight, but there isn't anything else up there...so it has to be that.

The part I showed it actually only 7-9.50 on a few sites. So, if that's the only needed part, then I can just buy that I think right? Plus 2 HB1 bolts (see picture) and the HN1 part depending on what it is

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
FWIW the rear shock piston shaft on my wife's Fusion broke, and took the upper shock mount with it.

So, yes, the upper rear shock mount may be broken, but so might the rear shock.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW the rear shock piston shaft on my wife's Fusion broke, and took the upper shock mount with it.

So, yes, the upper rear shock mount may be broken, but so might the rear shock.
Probably just buy 2 shocks for like $56 each with the top mount already on it and replace them both honestly. Gonna need done soon anyway. Ugh. At least it looks like it's just a matter of jacking the car up, removing the wheels, removing 2 bolts (unless...you know...they are broken like one of mine), and removing the shock. Might be a weekend plan.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Probably just buy 2 shocks for like $56 each with the top mount already on it and replace them both honestly. Gonna need done soon anyway. Ugh. At least it looks like it's just a matter of jacking the car up, removing the wheels, removing 2 bolts (unless...you know...they are broken like one of mine), and removing the shock. Might be a weekend plan.
It takes a few minutes to replace. There are 2 bolts holding the top to the chassis and 1 holding the bottom of the shock to the knuckle. Probably just broke the top mount common in the Foci

photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
images.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
I don't think the top mount comes with the shock, you will probably have to order it separately. It's easy to replace.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The bottom shock bolt is a one-time use bolt FWIW (though several have reported reusing it).

The bottom shock bolt is also very easy to cross thread if you are not careful.

I'd suggest reassembly as comprising:

1. Off the car, tighten the new shock top mount bracket to the shock top.
2. With the car well jacked up and the rear suspension drooping (if the sway bar is attached to both sides the side without the shock won't droop much):
2a. Align the shock bottom hole with the upright and carefully thread the bottom shock bolt in entirely by hand until almost snug; leave it a thread loose at the moment.
2b. Align the shock upper mount with the mounting studs and attach; torquing the nuts to spec.
2c. Lower the car to normal ride height, on the ground.
3. Torque the bottom shock bolt to spec.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bottom shock bolt is a one-time use bolt FWIW (though several have reported reusing it).

The bottom shock bolt is also very easy to cross thread if you are not careful.

I'd suggest reassembly as comprising:

1. Off the car, tighten the new shock top mount bracket to the shock top.
2. With the car well jacked up and the rear suspension drooping (if the sway bar is attached to both sides the side without the shock won't droop much):
2a. Align the shock bottom hole with the upright and carefully thread the bottom shock bolt in entirely by hand until almost snug; leave it a thread loose at the moment.
2b. Align the shock upper mount with the mounting studs and attach; torquing the nuts to spec.
2c. Lower the car to normal ride height, on the ground.
3. Torque the bottom shock bolt to spec.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Is it probable that I'll be able to reuse it if careful? And is it a generic bolt/thread pattern or a specific part? I would be pissed if I screwed myself because of the bolt not being able to be reused and my car was stranded without it

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Is it probable that I'll be able to reuse it if careful? And is it a generic bolt/thread pattern or a specific part? I would be pissed if I screwed myself because of the bolt not being able to be reused and my car was stranded without it
It's a torque to yield bolt, all of the suspension fasteners are torque to yield and "should not" be reused. I would imagine the one at the bottom of the shock is the least stressed of all the rear suspension though. When I did my springs/shocks/struts I went ahead and replaced them all.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
What @ddfred said! I did the same; the hardware is a few dollars for peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's a torque to yield bolt, all of the suspension fasteners are torque to yield and "should not" be reused. I would imagine the one at the bottom of the shock is the least stressed of all the rear suspension though. When I did my springs/shocks/struts I went ahead and replaced them all.
What @ddfred said! I did the same; the hardware is a few dollars for peace of mind.
Are we talking about part HB2 in my first post? Is it a Ford specific part or something I could get at a local place for a peace of mind? I'm hopefully fixing my car tomorrow if my parts come in.

Part #2 in the diagram on this page? https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...ear-suspension-cat/shocks-and-components-scat

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Are we talking about part HB2 in my first post? Is it a Ford specific part or something I could get at a local place for a peace of mind? I'm hopefully fixing my car tomorrow if my parts come in.

Part #2 in the diagram on this page? https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...ear-suspension-cat/shocks-and-components-scat
That is showing both a nut and bolt; the shock on the ST bolts directly into the knuckle and has no nut. I know this because mine was cross threaded from the factory and I had to replace the knuckle when I did my springs and shocks.

Reactions: brian60

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
That is showing both a nut and bolt; the shock on the ST bolts directly into the knuckle and has no nut. I know this because mine was cross threaded from the factory and I had to replace the knuckle when I did my springs and shocks.
I can confirm no nut. The hub is threaded.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not sure how the suspension is setup in the rear, and not too much about our suspension to begin with.
It's not so bad, especially in the rear. On my old civic I could jack up the car, remove all four coils and reinstall them in under an hour. For various reasons not worth getting into I had to do that. Heck, I even adjusted ride height on that pretty drunk. It was winter in Erie and I was working in the apartment complex parking lot. I had to keep warm somehow.. Suspension is scary to work on for obvious reasons, but after you rip it apart for the first time, it's cake, especially in the rear, it's usually like 5 bolts and that's it. Hardest part is the first time the suspension is touched, bolts are corroded to **** and could take hours to get off

1 - 20 of 30 Posts