Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 FoST with 68k miles and I'm having 2nd gear issues. I know that the 2013/2014's had notorious synchro problems so I think it may be that but I'm trying to rule out other possibilities.

So my problem rarely happens while shifting from 1st to 2nd. It usually happens downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. What happens is I go to shift into 2nd and it doesn't feel right...it feels sort of "soft" and like it feels like it's not in all of the way (normally shifts are notchy) and when you release the clutch, the shifter kicks out and grinds. Now from what I've noticed, if you release the clutch very slowly, it'll grind for a split second and then go into gear no problem and if you release the clutch very, very slowly, it usually won't grind or kick out at all.

Like I said, it has 68k miles and this really started being noticeable over the weekend. I'm now out of Ford's extended trans warranty so I may looking into getting it repaired myself if it is the trans. I know there was one company planning to make carbon composite synchros but I don't think they've finished. Is there any way to buy new OEM synchros and have the transmission rebuilt or is my best bet to get a used trans? Also, is there anything else it could be? I don't think the trans fluid has ever been replaced (bought the car used at 41k miles) and same goes for the master/slave cylinders. Also, for the record, I DO have the assistance spring out of the clutch pedal.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Currently there is no way to buy OEM synchros and have the trans rebuilt. Your cheapest bet would be a used trans, I have looked just out of curiosity in the past on car-part dot com which is a auto recycler search and you can get some transmissions that have like less than a few thousand miles for around $1000 often times, if you believe the mileage anyway.

If it were me I would first be contacting speed performance about there synchros. I don't believe they are on their website but they may be able to be purchased through them if you call them. There was a set for sale here not long ago so I think somebody was able to get a set. You would sort of be the guinea pig though as nobody has a review on them. A brand new OEM trans would be the absolute last option if paying out of warranty IMO.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 FoST with 68k miles and I'm having 2nd gear issues. I know that the 2013/2014's had notorious synchro problems so I think it may be that but I'm trying to rule out other possibilities.

So my problem rarely happens while shifting from 1st to 2nd. It usually happens downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. What happens is I go to shift into 2nd and it doesn't feel right...it feels sort of "soft" and like it feels like it's not in all of the way (normally shifts are notchy) and when you release the clutch, the shifter kicks out and grinds. Now from what I've noticed, if you release the clutch very slowly, it'll grind for a split second and then go into gear no problem and if you release the clutch very, very slowly, it usually won't grind or kick out at all.

Like I said, it has 68k miles and this really started being noticeable over the weekend. I'm now out of Ford's extended trans warranty so I may looking into getting it repaired myself if it is the trans. I know there was one company planning to make carbon composite synchros but I don't think they've finished. Is there any way to buy new OEM synchros and have the transmission rebuilt or is my best bet to get a used trans? Also, is there anything else it could be? I don't think the trans fluid has ever been replaced (bought the car used at 41k miles) and same goes for the master/slave cylinders. Also, for the record, I DO have the assistance spring out of the clutch pedal.

Anyone have any ideas?
I'm lucky as I just got a new trans from Ford ..brought it in w/ 59.5k miles bc of 3rd->2nd gear grinding. You essentially have 2 options like 42ryan24 said. 1) get a slightly used trans-this maybe a more expensive option or 2) get the synchros from Speed Performance. Pretty sure they are for sale if you contact them directly. Will probably more expensive than you (or I) would like but I think it would be cheaper than getting a whole new/used tranny plus installation.

And no, ford to my knowledge, does not sell synchros/trans parts. They won't replace a worn trans part synchros included. They're only option is to replace the whole trans.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. If I go the used trans option, I know a family friend who owns a shop and my father and I should be able to do the work ourselves and it wouldn't cost me a dime in labor. So ~$1000 for the trans and then just putting it in.

For the carbon synchros, do either of you know approx. how much they'd be going for? Because with that option, it's buying the synchros themselves and then having a company rebuild the trans, right? That's surely got to be more expensive and would obviously take longer. The fact is that my ST is my DD and I live in NJ and winter is coming (heh).

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. If I go the used trans option, I know a family friend who owns a shop and my father and I should be able to do the work ourselves and it wouldn't cost me a dime in labor. So ~$1000 for the trans and then just putting it in.

For the carbon synchros, do either of you know approx. how much they'd be going for? Because with that option, it's buying the synchros themselves and then having a company rebuild the trans, right? That's surely got to be more expensive and would obviously take longer. The fact is that my ST is my DD and I live in NJ and winter is coming (heh).
I can't be certain but I think the SP63 synchros are ~$500-$600. If that's all that's wrong with your trans and you can do the install yourself, I think you're better off with this option as you'll know you won't have synchro issues in the future...if you get a used tranny, you could have the synchro issues again!

You're in NNJ so give Pablo a call at SP63 or just stop by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts