Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It has been real focusst.org, but I traded my Focus in last month. I had the car for just under 8 years and put 62K miles on it in that time.

I spent a lot of time on the forum when I first got the car, but my contributions have been minimal (still lurking though) the last few years. Having my first kid reduced my time for forum posts. Having my second kid meant my ST's days were numbered. After not driving the car for several months due to my wife's car being more comfortable with two carseats, I decided there was no point keeping it and traded it for a 2021 Subaru Outback Touring XT. The Outback is nowhere near as fun, but it definitely fits everyone. Hopefully the new owner is enjoying it as much as I once did. Car sold within 3 days of the dealer taking it in.

For anyone reading into the car seat situation. The Focus ST is doable with two car seats. That said, it was certainly sub-optimal in my experience. Fine for driving around town. Less fine for extended family road trips. Having a second car that fit kids better meant the ST did not get driven. The high miles on the second car meant it was time to get another car.

I will be posting up some parts that I pulled from the car before trade in and some parts that I never put on the car in the next few weeks (tuner, intake manifold and related parts, downpipe, front sway bar). Please do not PM me about parts until I list them. I will not have time due to work commitments to respond before the listings are posted up. Until then, here is where my build ended up...

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
994 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to sell your ST.

Does your outback have brown interior? Couldn't remember if they offered it like VW and some others.
Wife recently noticed a green highlander with brown seats. My favorite color combo.

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
500 Posts
All the best Bruva and there’s me thinking the Focus was supposed be a family car. 😁

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear you have to sell your ST.

Does your outback have brown interior? Couldn't remember if they offered it like VW and some others.
Wife recently noticed a green highlander with brown seats. My favorite color combo.
It has the brown leather. That is the only interior available on the Touring and Touring XT models. Definitely like the color combo, though it did limit my exterior color choices (I am not into the grey or black with brown interior).

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, SP63 block
531 Posts
does the XT outback have that sweet sweet subie turbo setup?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does the XT outback have that sweet sweet subie turbo setup?
FA24 which is the 2.4 direct injected turbo. They currently put it in the Ascent, Outback, and Legacy. It is expected to be used in the next WRX as well. Considering the size of the Outback, it moves it pretty well. Not as quick as my ST was on a Stage 3 setup, but plenty quick for what it is. Would be quicker if they did the CVT tuning right or just stopped using CVTs altogether.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sorry to hear the ST had to go, but totally understand.

Would be quicker if they did the CVT tuning right or just stopped using CVTs altogether.
Toyota came oh-so-close to getting the CVT right when they decided to use a normal automatic's first gear. Finally, something to make a CVT launch well! Nope, they really didn't change the gear ratio to make it suitable. Left it so first gear went all the way to 35-40 mph before switching to the CVT so it's still gutless from a stop. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Subaru used to get a lot of complaints about the CVTs doing what CVTs do (not shifting in the way people are used to). Their solution was to program in fake shift points to make it feel like an 8 speed automatic. I have a few problems with this. First the car sometimes hunts for a gear which a CVT really should not have to do. Second I was used to a non-simulated shift CVT from my 14 Crosstrek, so the simulated shifts and gear hunting feel really weird to me now. My final issue is that I am sure there is some acceleration and fuel economy loss from the simulated shifting. Car is still plenty quick and gets good MPG considering.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, SP63 block
531 Posts
FA24 which is the 2.4 direct injected turbo. They currently put it in the Ascent, Outback, and Legacy. It is expected to be used in the next WRX as well. Considering the size of the Outback, it moves it pretty well. Not as quick as my ST was on a Stage 3 setup, but plenty quick for what it is. Would be quicker if they did the CVT tuning right or just stopped using CVTs altogether.
Very cool. Thank goodness its not gutless. Yeah CVT's have came a long way, but could still be improved.
Their reliability has gone up significantly, but their usability needs worked on. Gears are a hinderance to performance. Putting them "back in" for people who don't even know how to shift gears but just expect them is silly.
I rode a 400cc 2 smoke Polaris scrambler for most of my quad riding days and its CVT was an absolute blast because there were no simulated gears. I think embracing it makes for better performance. Thing would still throw wheelies. Just open it up and hang on tight.

Reactions: TS13FST

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Listed my parts for sale today. The fact that the car is gone is really starting to sink in. Cannot wait for my next fun vehicle. Maybe Ford will be back to selling hatches in the US by then (I can dream right?).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts