Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LAST UPDATE: 04/08/17

This is the build thread for what was formerly known as Fifteen52's "Project STanced", now turned into my daily driver.

Just a little back story behind the car, Fifteen52 built three very different Focus ST's for SEMA 2013. I had the fortunate opportunity to purchase one and it has been one of the best decision's I have ever made. It all started with a hunt for a FiST, and for the price point I wanted to pay, I could not find anything. The saying is very cliche, "it's who you know, rather than what you know" is very true. It was one fateful phone conversation to a friend of mine who works in the automotive industry that got me connected to the owner of Fifteen52, and an amazing deal on a vehicle with an interesting history.

Peep THEIR build thread here: http://www.project-st.com/all-the-small-things/

I can't take much credit for the build, because Fifteen52 outfitted the vehicle with goodies which I will list later. However I must say I'm so happy they swapped the airbag suspension system out and put in coilovers.

I have never owned anything newer than 1995, and previous vehicles that I have owned are a 95 Range Rover, 91 MR2, and a 90 240SX. I considered anything from the early 2000's as "new" and so owning a car from 2013 with all these gadgets and gizmos makes me feel like I'm piloting a spaceship.

The car hasn't changed much aesthetically from when the previous owners had it, however I have been slowly adding tid bits here and there to make it more reliable, increase longevity, and a fun mountain carver.

In later posts, I will giving reviews on existing parts on the vehicle as well as documenting installs of newer goodies as they come in. But for now, I hope you enjoy these pics!

Exterior:
Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers
Inno Roof Rack
ST3 Headlights
Lamin-X yellow tint
Ford Wind Deflector/ Rain guard
Rear Windshield wiper delete

Interior:
Katzkin Yellow Leather Interior
Mooneyes ball shift knob
Mooneyes rear floor mats
Mooneyes big foot gas pedal
CJ Pony Parts shift knob adapter
Weather Tech front floor liners

Wheels:
Fifteen52 Turbomacs
18x9 et 42 square

Tires:
235/40/18
Front: Achilles ATR Sport 2
Rear: Nankang AS-1
(I'll be reviewing the tires in a later post)

Brakes
Calipers: Stock
Fluid: ATE Type 200
Lines: Mountune SS Front and Rear
Front Pads: Mountune RS-R
Rear Pads: $43 O'Reilly Pads
Rotors: OEM all around

Suspension:
KW V3's

Engine:
Ford Racing Exhaust
Mountune short shifter arm
K&N Intake
ITV22 Denso Plugs
Mountune RMM
Mishimoto OCC

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shhhweeet!
Show car now fun car... drive it!
Thank you sir! I haven't ridden my motorcycle since it has been cold and damp in Northern California, so the Focus gets out to the backroads at least once a week.

This will be my first FWD, and I have been teaching myself left foot braking to load the front for grip. I also learned that the brakes on the car do not like to be beat on. The pedal eventually goes mushy and I strongly believe it's due to the stock brake fluid and possibly rubber lines.

I do intend on hitting a track day once I change all my fluids and do some brake work.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Gonna be a B**** to keep clean, but that car is so clean. Aside from the seats, it's such a beautiful car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Very nice car, good luck keeping those wheels clean. I've cleaned my turbomacs once so far and i can tell its gonna be a pain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of the custom leather mustard interior by Katzkin. I was meh about it at first, but I have grown to love it. It gives my car an "egg" kind of vibe; yellow on the inside, white on the out.

I must say, the quality is incredible! Aside from the covers getting dirty semi-quickly (given that it's yellow), the seats take a beating and I have not seen any punctures, scratches, or scrapes after 65,000 miles. In the winter, they are a little cold and in the summer time it doesn't get too hot where you burn your bum.

Since I now own an American car and I'm a big hot rod/ rat rod culture fan, I thought it would be fitting to add some bits from Mooneyes.

I did have to purchase an adapter from CJ Pony Parts to make a non-built-in reverse lockout shift knob aka, anything outside of stock, Cobb, Mountune, and Boomba work.

Installation: 0.5 out of 10
Cost: $20
Quality: Good
Link: http://www.cjponyparts.com/shift-kn...ocus-st-2013-2016-mustang-2015-2017/p/HW3290/
Feedback: MEH. It makes the shifter look ugly and the shifting position is now higher because the knob sits on top of the adapter rather than the mechanism sitting inside the knob. It hasn't bothered me enough for me to want to change it out. I do wish the finish was closer to factory.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Thank you sir! I haven't ridden my motorcycle since it has been cold and damp in Northern California, so the Focus gets out to the backroads at least once a week.

This will be my first FWD, and I have been teaching myself left foot braking to load the front for grip. I also learned that the brakes on the car do not like to be beat on. The pedal eventually goes mushy and I strongly believe it's due to the stock brake fluid and possibly rubber lines.

I do intend on hitting a track day once I change all my fluids and do some brake work.
brakes are for slowing down... what you want to do it down shift ;) haha

SS lines and fluid go a LONG ways in these... changes the brakes big time, pads if you want to complete that package.

I am completely stock and on back roads and hang and in many cases leave behind stage 3 cars with brakes and the works. driver mod! on stock brakes mine never fad on back roads, on the track that is a different story

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Your seats make me squint they're so bright! It's just a yellow thing..I hate the color. This is extremely unique and stands out for sure!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brakes are for slowing down... what you want to do it down shift ;) haha

SS lines and fluid go a LONG ways in these... changes the brakes big time, pads if you want to complete that package.

I am completely stock and on back roads and hang and in many cases leave behind stage 3 cars with brakes and the works. driver mod! on stock brakes mine never fad on back roads, on the track that is a different story
Good to know! I do intend on purchasing SS lines and thank God, they are inexpensive. The car came with custom slotted and drilled rotors from Adam's Rotors, but with so many miles it's time to swap them out.

Also, I have Stop Tech PosiQuiet pads, and I hate them. They feel less responsive than stock and they squeal (I properly greased them). Looking to upgrade to Hawks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice car, good luck keeping those wheels clean. I've cleaned my turbomacs once so far and i can tell its gonna be a pain.
Gonna be a B**** to keep clean, but that car is so clean. Aside from the seats, it's such a beautiful car.
Wheels are a major pain to clean, but I found that wheel cleaner packages in spray bottles help A LOT!

And owning a white car isn't so bad during dry weather, but becomes a mud magnet when it rains.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

I recently tinted the headlights yellow using the Lamin-X kit. I love the look (going for a race-inspired "GT" feel) and I'm sure they do a good job of protecting the headlight, however I will be removing them. Yes I know I "tinted" the lights and it's given they would be dimmer but I didn't think it would be significantly dimmer.

Installation was a major pain in the ass. If you decide to get any type of headlight film, it's best you do it with the headlights on the car not uninstalled. Water will help make it very easy and forgiving in regards to repositioning and realigning it. You'll want to use a blow dryer to help remove wrinkles and get the film to be malleable. I'm a noob and it took ME three hours per headlight.

Product: Lamin-x Headlight Cover/ Film
Installation: 5 out 10 (takes a lot of patience)
Cost: $50 (comes with foglight covers)
Quality: Very high. The material is a lot thicker than the one found on Amazon or eBay.
Link:http://www.lamin-x.com/Ford-Focus-ST-13-14-Yellow-Headlight-Covers-p/f537y.htm
Feedback: FYI, Lamin-X has great customer service, great product, good pricing, and fast shipping.

Product: Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers (lip)
Installation: 3 out 10
Cost: $300 (comes with screws and double-sided tape)
Quality: Very high. These things are tough and sturdy
Link:http://fifteen52.com/products/mk3-ford-focus-front-cup-spoiler-kit
Feedback: It's pricey but quality is soo good. After paint, the cup spoilers come out to be $450-$575. I would recommend getting 3M Automotive tape rather than using the provided tape in the kit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wheels are a major pain to clean, but I found that wheel cleaner packages in spray bottles help A LOT!

And owning a white car isn't so bad during dry weather, but becomes a mud magnet when it rains.
This. White cars hide light dirt very well; my Grand Prix can actually be quite dirty and still look clean.

Congrats on getting STanced! I actually tried to get some of the interior from it when they retired it but as I had no OEM parts to offer in exchange I couldn't.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Good to know! I do intend on purchasing SS lines and thank God, they are inexpensive. The car came with custom slotted and drilled rotors from Adam's Rotors, but with so many miles it's time to swap them out.

Also, I have Stop Tech PosiQuiet pads, and I hate them. They feel less responsive than stock and they squeal (I properly greased them). Looking to upgrade to Hawks
ditch the slotted and drilled rotors

OEM rotors and upgraded pads are... the Hawks are likely a great pick, I haven't heard a single bad work about StopTech but yes they make noise. so do all the "racecar" pads lol

I would recommend this: (I have first hand experience with the kit and know it will stop the car FAST!)
mountune RS-R Complete Brake Upgrade Package - 2013-2014 Focus ST

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This. White cars hide light dirt very well; my Grand Prix can actually be quite dirty and still look clean.

Congrats on getting STanced! I actually tried to get some of the interior from it when they retired it but as I had no OEM parts to offer in exchange I couldn't.
You speak the truth. When I go to wash my car, I always surprise myself by how much dirt washes off.

And thank you. For a moment, I wanted to swap it out, however I've grown to really love the interior. Bug me in a couple years about it.

BTW, your build is very cool

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Did an oil change and tranny fluid flush today. The car is currently at 65,000 miles and it's running well.

Product: Motul DCTF
Installation: Just took it to the shop. However I've read the how-to and it's two bolts.
Cost: $40 for the fluid and $36 for the labor and disposal
Quality: I'd imagine it to be high?
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Motul-Multi-...d=1484441646&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=motel+dctf
Feedback: Rowing through the gears is super buttery. My shifter FALLS into reverse

Product: AMSOIL 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Installation: Just took it to the shop. Very lazy to remove under tray every time and dispose old oil.
Cost: $45 for the fluid and $30 for the labor and disposal (now that I think about it, it's kinda expensive. dammit.)
Quality: Can't really tell, however oil change intervals are 5,000 miles vs. 3,000.
Link: AMSOIL Premium Protection 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil

1 - 20 of 31 Posts