Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and did not turn anything up that matched the issue I've encountered. Please point me in the direction of any threads that may be useful.

The car: 2013 FST ST1 with about 65k miles on the odo and completely stock drivetrain. Driven with spirit but not abused.

The issue: I've noticed a whining almost howling noise from the drivetrain which I believe is coming from inside the transmission. The sound has gotten progressively louder as I add the miles and is most noticeable at freeway speeds. Taking a grade either up or down seems to increase to howling. While at speed if I pop the tranny into neutral the noise nearly goes away. The transmission operates great , no grinding when shifting, does not pop out of gear.

So my gut feeling is there is an internal transmission bearing that is not happy. Is this something that happens to our machines? When searching the interwebs all I can find is shifting issues (grinding and popping out of gear). Has anyone encountered an issue like this?

If it is in the tranny I think I'd rather find a low mileage trans out of a wrecked ST before tearing into this one. Are all of the ST Getrag transmissions the same (or at least interchangeable)? If there have been some changes is there a model year transmission that is more desirable?

My FST is still under the five years however over the 60k miles. Typically what is Ford's response to an out of warranty repair like this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas!

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before I'd do anything drastic, I'd try draining and refilling the transmission fluid. Also check out your rear motor mount, if the bushing is gone it might be transmitting the sound into the cabin.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There is also the center axle shaft bearing, on the passenger side to hold the middle of the long driveshaft horizontal, that has sometimes gone bad. It too makes whiny noise that will vary some with load.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
There is also the center axle shaft bearing, on the passenger side to hold the middle of the long driveshaft horizontal, that has sometimes gone bad. It too makes whiny noise that will vary some with load.

Hope that helps,
Mark
This.

Sent from another galaxy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts