Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, over the past week or two, I've noticed some strange noises and some strange feelings as well. I'm going to try to describe it the best I can but because this doesn't happen all the time, it may be confusing. For the record, my ST is a 2013 FoST with 75,xxx miles. I'm still on the stock suspension, stock wheels, and off-brand performance tires.

About two weeks ago, I was driving to work in the morning and I was driving through a town with heavy traffic. I wasn't listening to music so I noticed that when I would be in first gear and would rev and accelerate lightly, I would hear a tapping noise. It sounded like it was coming from the front of the car and I would only hear it if I kind of accelerated sharply and pressed the clutch to let it coast. It would also only happen during low speeds and coasting. It freaked me out because I thought maybe the engine was knocking but the car didn't throw any codes and this DOESN'T happen all the time. Actually, it doesn't happen more often than it DOES. Under higher speeds (30mph+) it either doesn't happen or you can't hear it.

The second noise almost sounds like rubbing noise coming from the front right tire. I just noticed this noise over the past few days and it either speeds up or slows down with the car's speed. Yesterday when driving around 75-80mph, the car started to shake like I had ice buildup in the wheels and they were off balance. It lasted about five minutes and just as I was about to pull off of the highway to check the tires, it stopped and hasn't happened since. I checked the wheels and couldn't find anything so I'm thinking maybe a wheel weight fell off. When I got home and checked, I DID notice that a lugnut was missing. I checked that tire to see if it was loose but everything seemed tight. As for the noise, it doesn't matter if the wheels are turned or they're going straight. The noise also seems to disappear when breaking. I can't find anything stuck in the treads so I'm thinking maybe it's the wheel bearing. This is a much more consistent sound.

Any ideas? I'll try to provide more details if I can. I'm hoping that maybe the sounds are related but I kind of doubt it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts