Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just tossing this question out there as i didn't see much in the way about it upon searching for it.

I have noticed out of all the cars I have owned, non of which were small displacement turbo cars, this car seems to have very slow to act rev both up and down...but DEF on the return to idle. I have improved this on may of my previous cars by opening up the TB with something bigger...adding high flow headers and exhaust, Lighter pulleys and also a lighter flywheel.

My question is have any of you done similar mods and seen a increase in the response time of the revs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ballancer shaft delete, and one piece flywheel.

One costs time and a little money, the other costs time and more money.

Both add vibrations.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adding vibration sounds suck, there has to be a way to get a faster response time on the engine. I can only theorise that ford did this because of the small displacement motor my 4.6l mustang snapped to with just a few mods. This being half the motor im guessing its designed to keep the RPM's up in order to: 1 keep the turbo spool up, and 2 help with the lack of grunt the 2.0 liter has. I will get this engine to snap mods be damn at this point.

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
Hey everyone just tossing this question out there as i didn't see much in the way about it upon searching for it.

I have noticed out of all the cars I have owned, non of which were small displacement turbo cars, this car seems to have very slow to act rev both up and down...but DEF on the return to idle. I have improved this on may of my previous cars by opening up the TB with something bigger...adding high flow headers and exhaust, Lighter pulleys and also a lighter flywheel.

My question is have any of you done similar mods and seen a increase in the response time of the revs.
Are you tuned? The OEM tune has rev hang built in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@CRAKEN! hey dude its been a while...yes im stock tuned, but I know even if there is some hang built in like my mustang GT, tuning will only help with a bit of that. I noticed at least with the 4.6 i lost of lot of that with a bigger Throttle body and a free flowing exhaust. I know that turbo cars behave diff....So bud whats up with my autocross team and shared garage time?

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
@CRAKEN! hey dude its been a while...yes im stock tuned, but I know even if there is some hang built in like my mustang GT, tuning will only help with a bit of that. I noticed at least with the 4.6 i lost of lot of that with a bigger Throttle body and a free flowing exhaust. I know that turbo cars behave diff....So bud whats up with my autocross team and shared garage time?
Lol, shared garage is off the books, and Im not a fan of cones. HDPE is more appealing.

As previously stated, running a LWFW and BSD will get those revs down fast. Theres quite a bit of vibration gained though. I rattled the amber reflectors off inside my ST3 headlights.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You can have the 'rev hang' tuned out. Still wont change that you have a lot of rotating mass. Our DMFW is heavy, and adds time to rev up / down.

4.6L 2V wasn't that responsive of an engine, even with a larger TB and free flowing headers. Our Ecoboost revs much faster, and more free that one of those ever did stock vs stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all good input thanks. I'm going to try to negate some of the rotating mass, and maybe start to self tune my car. Its a bit extra to get the access port unlocked so you can tune, but i did a decent job with a predator II tuner and my 01 cobra released an extra 58 wheel HP by tuning with a wideband o2 to make sure i didn't get crazy on the mix. duce message me if you want, i'm going to be going to some philly SCCA stuff in the area, but i know a few people in the pro circuit now...michele abbate for one who can help me get from point at to point Z pretty quickly if i have the time and sponsors.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
don't forget, as far as rev down goes, turbo cars that see the levels of boost we do have a fairly low compression ratio, vs something like a twin cam 4.6 so there is less force/resistance from the compression stroke acting to slow the motor's speed down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts