Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before Christmas, I got rear ended. Not that serious (so I thought). Damaged limited to the driver's side rear corner. Cracked bumper cover/valence, scrapped paint and a little wrinkle in the quarter panel. Nothing structural. Just paint and plastic.

Unfortunately, the genuine Ford replacement valence doesn't fit the genuine replacement Ford bumper skin. The body shop ordered a second set of parts hoping the first was just defective. No such luck.

Ford dealership escalated the problem by putting in an official request through some engineering related department. They had someone check another set of parts (so they told the body shop manager) which checked out good against the drawings and where shipped. Guess what? They may match the drawings but they don't fit one another. 3 sets of parts that don't fit together. Bigger problem I fear.

Body shop has pretty much given up. They've installed the first set of parts and suggest I come and get my car while we wait for Ford to grasp the fact that the parts they have don't fit each other and figure out a solution.

I was hoping that someone on the forum might have had a similar situation and might have some advice or experiences that they could lend.

Help!?!?!?

·
Registered
738 Posts
You must write a letter to your regional Ford head......at first, explain in the letter, "how much I would like to go on social media to spread the news about how helpful Ford is when there is a problem!!"

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Registered
660 Posts
You must write a letter to your regional Ford head......at first, explain in the letter, "how much I would like to go on social media to spread the news about how helpful Ford is when there is a problem!!"
:whs:

·
Registered
428 Posts
That is hilariously bad fitment. Best of luck in getting this sorted out - Ford could have a real problem if that's not a one-time occurrence.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a similar 'bump and had to replace the same part

mine fits perfectly

I think your metal got bent ..... and you are just not seeing it.

measure the wheel well opening on both sides ..... are they the same width?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had a similar 'bump and had to replace the same part

mine fits perfectly

I think your metal got bent ..... and you are just not seeing it.

measure the wheel well opening on both sides ..... are they the same width?
Metal may have gotten bent in the collision but this specifically is an issue with a brand new valance not fitting a brand new bumper, to the extent where it appears to be a manufacturing defect and not just the bumper being pulled in a slightly different direction, causing a misalignment.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
yeah, this is plastic to plastic fitment not aligning, would have nothing to do with the structural integrity of the chassis if the lower valence doesn't fit the bumper, even when the bumper is off the car? CRAZY.

·
Registered
219 Posts
yeah, this is plastic to plastic fitment not aligning, would have nothing to do with the structural integrity of the chassis if the lower valence doesn't fit the bumper, even when the bumper is off the car. CRAZY.
Tried replacing the bumper?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow that is weird :/ and if 3 different parts have not fitted. It is time to escalate this problem to someone higher in the ford management

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've some body work experience ....

I'll bet a donut some cross body measurements show something got bent ....

you even said there's a wrinkle in the fender

my parts fit perfectly

I doubt they changed the molds .....

but ... if not using a FORD body shop, FORD will probably play that card on you. If you are trying to save a buck by using "my buddy body shop" you are probably gonna be frustrated for a long time

bottom line .... I replaced same part and it fits perfectly . . .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've some body work experience ....

I'll bet a donut some cross body measurements show something got bent ....

you even said there's a wrinkle in the fender

my parts fit perfectly

I doubt they changed the molds .....

but ... if not using a FORD body shop, FORD will probably play that card on you. If you are trying to save a buck by using "my buddy body shop" you are probably gonna be frustrated for a long time

bottom line .... I replaced same part and it fits perfectly . . .
How along ago did you have the repair done? Is it possible something's changed in that time?

No it's not a Ford body shop but it was one that my insurance company recommended and backs with a lifetime (as long as I own the car) warranty on the repair. Not "my buddy's shop".

I've had some bodywork experience as well (strictly amateur stuff, small rust repairs, patch panels, repaints etc. currently restoring a 1940 Chev P/U that didn't have a straight fender on it) and the 'wrinkle' in the fender was slight, barely noticeable so I doubt thats the issue. Besides, if it was a body alignment issue the bumper skin wouldn't have fit.

I have escalated this at the Ford dealership in Edmonton where the parts were being ordered from and apparently they have had yet another set of parts ordered, checked and shipped to Edmonton. When they get here, they've asked too bring my car by their shop to see if they can see any other issues (doubt they will).

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ford dealership called me a couple of days ago to tell me that the 4th bumper cover and valence set came in and guess what?? They don't fit together either!!!!!

They've sent a second engineering request in similar to the one they sent in 4 weeks ago asking for another Q/A check. WTF????

I heard once that a possible definition of insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". If that's true then ........... well I think you know where I'm going with this.

Oh ya, did I mention that a put a 'complaint' in with the Ford Customer Service hotline over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a peep from them. Not surprised.

And now for a rant.

Ford!!! If you're listening let me just say; "Great Car!!! Not so great after sales service."

Examples?:
1. One of your dealerships put the 5 liters of 5w-20 in my car on one of the very first oil changes. Lucky for me I read a thread on this forum a few days later that mentioned the same thing happening to someone else and double checked my service order and found the problem.
2. It took weeks and and a nasty email to the service manager at the same dealership to get them to properly program the BCM with the updated LED daytime running lights program but now my dash lights won't stay on the brightness setting I select and has to be reset each time I start the car. I'd take it back but Lord only knows what else they'd screw up trying to fix that.
3. This whole bumper part fiasco.

Thanks for listening. I feel a little better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts