Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken a look at options so far and I've not seen a whole lot besides a MFT 3 upgrade that costs about 1.5k.

However, I was on Crutchfield today and I'm seeing head units showing up that are compatible with the 2013 Focus with the Sony system (so the ST2/ST3 system). Does anyone know if these actually can be dropped in? I'd love to get Android Auto (wireless) and Apple Play in my car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wireless Android Auto is pretty scarce on HUs and only works with certain phones. Not too sure about Apple carplay since I have an Android phone and never looked into the details of carplay.

You can piece together a Sync3 upgrade for under $500 if you know what to look for and are patient. Most wireless AA units will cost more than that alone, then you'll have to add a dash kit, steering wheel integration, wire harness, and an interface.

I got a screen and Nav APIM from a wrecked 2016 Focus SEL for 450 on eBay, added a GPS antenna and USB hub, and the system is 100% plug and play.

I've seen screens go for under $100 and APIMs around 250-300 range.

You can use hardware from just about any Sync3 equipped car with an 8" screen and then you can program the APIM to match your ST using Forscan. I added the ST splash and HVAC controls to mine after installing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wireless Android Auto is pretty scarce on HUs and only works with certain phones. Not too sure about Apple carplay since I have an Android phone and never looked into the details of carplay.

You can piece together a Sync3 upgrade for under $500 if you know what to look for and are patient. Most wireless AA units will cost more than that alone, then you'll have to add a dash kit, steering wheel integration, wire harness, and an interface.

I got a screen and Nav APIM from a wrecked 2016 Focus SEL for 450 on eBay, added a GPS antenna and USB hub, and the system is 100% plug and play.

You can use hardware from just about any Sync3 equipped car with an 8" screen and then you can program the APIM to match your ST using Forscan. I added the ST splash and HVAC controls to mine after installing.

Think you can find two more because obviously i suck and cant find deals like that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got lucky with eBay. Car-part.com is a pretty good resource for finding parts, you just have to contact the selling junkyard to verify it's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, thi

Yeah, thing is, I really don't want Sync at all. MFT is just pure garbage all around. While wireless android auto is in its infancy, most likely it'll be more available in a year or two. I'd rather have support in the head unit if I was going to upgrade than miss out on it in a year or two.
And yeah, I don't use Apple phones (at least right now) so Apples Car Play isn't as important, but I don't know of aftermarket units that would only support one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts