Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum, hopefully i posted in the right place.

Here to consult anyone who had previous experience in Cobb AP. I had a 2013 Focus ST currently stage 1 and have recently purchased a 3" downpipe for the car, have yet to install it tho.

Here's the problem, I didnt not have an FMIC to run Cobb Stage 3 map and I'm not certain that the new downpipe will throw a CEL if i were to run the Cobb Stage 2 map.
I have used the recommendation tool from Cobb website which recommends me to use Stage 3 but i'm told by my fellow car club mate who had similar set up (Intake and decat downpipe) before that it is fine to run stage 2 apparently will heat up the intercooler running stage 3.

So
1. Will Cobb Stage 2 map get rid of the CEL?
2. Or i should just run Stage 3 map? (i live in tropical area and its really effing hot most of the time)

i know i need to upgrade the intercooler, that will be for another time, for now just wanna know which is the set up best suitable for my mods situation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
stage two OTS will not shut off O2 monitoring so you will likely get a CEL, but since you do not have a FMIC, you can not run stage two or higher. you will have to continue run stage one tune until you get a FMIC. (or you could have a custom tune made from somebody like stratified and just have them shut off O2 monitoring on their stage one tune)

your best bet is to run a defouler as mentioned many times on here to keep the CEL from coming on and just run the same stage one tune you have been, then once you get a FMIC, switch to the stage three tune.

stage 1 = air filter or intake

stage 2 = FMIC + filter or intake

stage 3 = downpipe + FMIC + filter or intake

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Just spend $30 and get a Vibrant J type 02 defouler and run that on the downstream. You won't get a CEL even catless.

And get an intercooler!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The defouler looks like a L shaped bed to screw in the sensor ? It came with the downpipe. Which location to install it btw..

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Which location to install it btw..
Upstream O2 sensors are used to adjust the cars fuel ratios, downstream O2 sensors are used to see how well the catalytic converter is functioning. Defoulers go in the downstream location.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Upstream O2 sensors are used to adjust the cars fuel ratios, downstream O2 sensors are used to see how well the catalytic converter is functioning. Defoulers go in the downstream location.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This. The wideband goes upstream. If you remove it it'll cause some issues lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing to clarify.. I have seen on some installations video saying the car will run rich with the bigger downpipe and require a tune for it to run properly.. so stage 1 map should be able to deal with that just fine too??

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
One more thing to clarify.. I have seen on some installations video saying the car will run rich with the bigger downpipe and require a tune for it to run properly.. so stage 1 map should be able to deal with that just fine too??
running a little rich isn't going to hurt... running lean is what hurts an engine but honestly neither is "good"

Run a stage 1. I run without a tune for months and had full "bolt ons" for stage 3, the tune wakes up those parts of course but I highly doubt I damaged my motor by not have the tune.

Get a FMIC, it is really important for this plateform and run stage 3 tune of course.

If it is cold where you are you could run stage 3 on the stock FMIC til you get a FMIC and before it gets hotter out. just monitor your temps via AP3 to make sure the stock FMIC is keeping up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts