Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can buy 2012/2013 struts and associated lowering springs, and bolt them into a mid-year 2014+ model. Since there are not many spring options for the latter model years yet.

But what exactly is different on the 2012/2013 struts over the newer years? Is it tophats and lower spring perch? Or just the lower spring perch?

My goal is to not have to buy more parts than needed (e.g. upper tophats, upper perch etc) Just the required one-time use bolts, and proper year struts and be done...

·
Administrator
10,638 Posts
I know you can buy 2012/2013 struts and associated lowering springs, and bolt them into a mid-year 2014+ model. Since there are not many spring options for the latter model years yet.

But what exactly is different on the 2012/2013 struts over the newer years? Is it tophats and lower spring perch? Or just the lower spring perch?

My goal is to not have to buy more parts than needed (e.g. upper tophats, upper perch etc) Just the required one-time use bolts, and proper year struts and be done...
Its the lower spring perch, no way around it, 13 springs + 13 Shocks/struts.

Im running Swift 13' springs and Koni yellows 13' flavor

Keep in mind you may have to modify the upper mounts on the rears depending on which shocks you go with.

Reactions: mitch808

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So the goal is Bilstein B8's to match to my KW lowering springs both for the 12/13 model, to go into my 2015.

I've ordered the bolts and such from tasca ford already, and took a gamble I didn't need the upper front parts.

What needs to be modded in the upper rear? And would that apply to my situation?

·
Administrator
10,638 Posts
Thanks. So the goal is Bilstein B8's to match to my KW lowering springs both for the 12/13 model, to go into my 2015.

I've ordered the bolts and such from tasca ford already, and took a gamble I didn't need the upper front parts.

What needs to be modded in the upper rear? And would that apply to my situation?
Rear adjustable dampening shocks will need a larger hole drilled in the center of the rear shock mount. So as long as you have a drill and some sort of bit selection its no big deal.

Reactions: mitch808

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm done with adjustable anything. (Getting old) I hate koni's adjustment mechanism, had them on my last two cars and about 10+years or so between them. Can't stand that there are no adjustment detents, and that adjustment knobs flex as you turn them. Over time, they will need a firming up as well with an arbitrary twist of the knob. Coilovers, no thank you. Been there and done that with AST 4100's on swift springs. too many noises to contend with.

So bonus, no modifications needed. :)

·
Administrator
10,638 Posts
Well I'm done with adjustable anything. (Getting old) I hate koni's adjustment mechanism, had them on my last two cars and about 10+years or so between them. Can't stand that there are no adjustment detents, and that adjustment knobs flex as you turn them. Over time, they will need a firming up as well with an arbitrary twist of the knob. Coilovers, no thank you. Been there and done that with AST 4100's on swift springs. too many noises to contend with.

So bonus, no modifications needed. :)
I hear yah. Lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts