Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy at work has this car. He has an OTS tune, FMIC, Intake, exhaust (not sure how big but it’s catless), stock turbo boosting to 22lbs, and running 93.

I’m full bolt ons stage 3 running 93.

Anyone have experience with this car? I have a feeling I’d walk him. He doesn’t really want to race for whatever reasons. Just curious if y’all have played with that car before.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Guy at work has this car. He has an OTS tune, FMIC, Intake, exhaust (not sure how big but it’s catless), stock turbo boosting to 22lbs, and running 93.

I’m full bolt ons stage 3 running 93.

Anyone have experience with this car? I have a feeling I’d walk him. He doesn’t really want to race for whatever reasons. Just curious if y’all have played with that car before.
Sounds like he is running a 14 to 15 sec car.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
with his AWD power loss, plus the added most likely 400lbs of car, you SHOULD have the advantage if he doesnt know how to launch that thing like a bat outa hell.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I mean if you race from a dig, just make sure you choose a long enough stretch to reel him in when he jumps off the line. Off the line they are nasty, but they don't at all have the pull we do from 30mph and beyond. If you don't launch like a rookie and have decent tires you should take his lunch money and probably his girlfriend also.

If you DON'T, then either you launched horribly, he launched amazingly, or he hustled you and has more than you think done to it lol (turbo upgrade or interior gutting are really all there is...unless you've seen inside and know it isn't gutted).

Edit: If you three-honk him from 30mph then he won't even get more than a fender ahead of you for longer than a second unless he leaves way early. You should blow right ahead with your torque and weight advantage.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Those cars are not that fast and are actually heavier than our cars... The reason he doesn't want to race you is because he knows how slow it is. I think they were like 220hp and 3500-3600lbs. I hope the tune he has really wakes it up because stock they are just dogs.

The only way a FBO car should lose to it is you don't know how to take off and you turn on the smoke factory for 3 gears...

Now if that car was a 4.2 S4.... It would be lights out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had one with a modified turbo and meth injection. It was quick, but full bolt ons and meth on the st feels more quick. Keep in mind stock turbo vs modified turbo too. Strange to compare the two cars stock for stock too. They share the same turbo, but the st has 70-80 hp more out of the box. That is a huge jump in power for .2L difference. I guess direct injection really bumps the power

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I had one with a modified turbo and meth injection. It was quick, but full bolt ons and meth on the st feels more quick. Keep in mind stock turbo vs modified turbo too. Strange to compare the two cars stock for stock too. They share the same turbo, but the st has 70-80 hp more out of the box. That is a huge jump in power for .2L difference. I guess direct injection really bumps the power
That's why in 2017/2018 everyone competes to lower the size of the motor...efficiency is everything. 2.0Ls like our's put a hurting on big V8's from the 70s, 80s, and 90s now a day. I thought the 1.8t jetta in 2001 was fast...now by todays standards even the Civic SI with a 1.5L can run a 14.x 1/4 mile

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
My dad just purchased a 2018 S5 cabriolet. It's got 354HP and 369lb/ft of torque. Wish it was a standard and not an auto. Even though...the car is nice and has BALLS.

IMG_20180203_113250942.jpg

IMG_20180203_113303252.jpg

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Two cars ago I had an 04 A4 1.8t. It was no dog stock like suggested here and it was downright quick after a just a tune, intake, and decat. In my opinion the 5 valve head makes for a fantastic power band. The car just gobbles up boost like a Dyson at any rpm above like 1500.

My ST is basically stock so I have no idea how it feels to be FBO on the EcoBoost but I’m pretty sure my stage 1.5ish A4 felt a ballsier than my car does right now. Keep in mind the A4 has more German gearing so he might surprise you in rolls. Mine felt like a monster 60-110mph. Another difference is that I pounded on my A4 and run after run it felt like it was being pulled by a train. My ST so far feels more rubberbandy and very inconsistent. I’m chalking that up to break-in for now and will wait until I tune it to decide in my mind which engine I prefer.

I’ve got like 3 years of playing with my ST ahead of me but after a Mustang and now this car I can already tell I’ll be weighing an S5 heavily against a Raptor for my next car. Love these fast Fords to death but the luxury of the Audi was just much better. I had a ‘14 A4 loaner a couple years ago and even that model really had the spaceship vibe going on. I’m also just about done with these country Ford dealerships. The service experience at an Audi dealership was really freakin nice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two cars ago I had an 04 A4 1.8t. It was no dog stock like suggested here and it was downright quick after a just a tune, intake, and decat. In my opinion the 5 valve head makes for a fantastic power band. The car just gobbles up boost like a Dyson at any rpm above like 1500.

My ST is basically stock so I have no idea how it feels to be FBO on the EcoBoost but I’m pretty sure my stage 1.5ish A4 felt a ballsier than my car does right now. Keep in mind the A4 has more German gearing so he might surprise you in rolls. Mine felt like a monster 60-110mph. Another difference is that I pounded on my A4 and run after run it felt like it was being pulled by a train. My ST so far feels more rubberbandy and very inconsistent. I’m chalking that up to break-in for now and will wait until I tune it to decide in my mind which engine I prefer.

I’ve got like 3 years of playing with my ST ahead of me but after a Mustang and now this car I can already tell I’ll be weighing an S5 heavily against a Raptor for my next car. Love these fast Fords to death but the luxury of the Audi was just much better. I had a ‘14 A4 loaner a couple years ago and even that model really had the spaceship vibe going on. I’m also just about done with these country Ford dealerships. The service experience at an Audi dealership was really freakin nice.
Inconsistency will go away with a better intercooler on your ST. And yeah my experience with the dealerships has been the same lol. They’re in a different world.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Inconsistency will go away with a better intercooler on your ST. And yeah my experience with the dealerships has been the same lol. They’re in a different world.
Agreed on the inconsistency comments. It's a known "issue" with our car if you do repeated pulls or long duration pulls that we definitely start getting robbed of power by out heatsoak. Upgrade the FMIC and the difference is incredible.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Agreed on the inconsistency comments. It's a known "issue" with our car if you do repeated pulls or long duration pulls that we definitely start getting robbed of power by out heatsoak. Upgrade the FMIC and the difference is incredible.
Well it's the dead of winter here so I hope heat soak isn't the issue. Especially on my 10 minute drives. I'm more inclined to blame a conservative and very proactive ECU strategy from the factory for my particular situation. Stock new WRXs are exactly the same way in my experience. They'll give you a great pull in second but by third they're pulling timing or whatever to cut torque.

I can't wait to get an IC and AP and let Stratified have at it on my engine management. Hoping it gives me the car I thought I was buying in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Well it's the dead of winter here so I hope heat soak isn't the issue. Especially on my 10 minute drives. I'm more inclined to blame a conservative and very proactive ECU strategy from the factory for my particular situation. Stock new WRXs are exactly the same way in my experience. They'll give you a great pull in second but by third they're pulling timing or whatever to cut torque.

I can't wait to get an IC and AP and let Stratified have at it on my engine management. Hoping it gives me the car I thought I was buying in the first place.
Certainly a combination of both. You'll be quite content once you get the IC and AP/Strat tune. I'm rather confident of that.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I'm stock minus a drop in green filter and just installed an IC. I'll tell you what, the car feels like it's pulling harder than I ever expected it to. It may be all in my head but I'll admit, pull after pull she doesn't let up. I can only imagine what it'll feel like once I get the AP and tune going. You'll be surprised at what an IC does alone. Get one uh sap!

Reactions: Gray

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'm stock minus a drop in green filter and just installed an IC. I'll tell you what, the car feels like it's pulling harder than I ever expected it to. It may be all in my head but I'll admit, pull after pull she doesn't let up. I can only imagine what it'll feel like once I get the AP and tune going. You'll be surprised at what an IC does alone. Get one uh sap!
Having a better intercooler means you get ALL the stock power EVERY time instead of getting robbed. Even in the middle of winter heatsoak is real, that turbo heats up really fast and really hot...cold winter air won't keep it cool long. Get a tune and you'll REALLY notice the difference. Mainly from the extra 60+ ft/lb or torque you'll get.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Having a better intercooler means you get ALL the stock power EVERY time instead of getting robbed. Even in the middle of winter heatsoak is real, that turbo heats up really fast and really hot...cold winter air won't keep it cool long. Get a tune and you'll REALLY notice the difference. Mainly from the extra 60+ ft/lb or torque you'll get.
Completely agree. That's why I opted for the IC before any other performance mod. I'm SOOOOO glad I got it first. Worth every cent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts