Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
2016 Focus ST2
I went ahead and ordered a set of the 2 step colder plugs listed above that @W4R said he'd heard good things about. I imagine they won't be here until next week, and by that time it'll be back in the upper 80's and low 90's for highs, but I'll swap them anyway for the summer heat. I may have to pull them back out once we get into fall, but that's not a big deal. This car is easy to change plugs on.
I'm placing a order for them on Friday. 馃槑

Reactions: rob99rt

Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Heard back from Brian on the 2-step colder plugs..

"yea give the Brisk plugs a try, I think those should work well for your needs, and honestly, you may not even need to swap back to rutheniums for the cooler weather on this setup."

I'll take that as approval to install and run 'em with his blessing.

Reactions: W4R and junits15

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got the 2 step colder plugs installed, and here are the ruthenium plugs with a bit over 16k on them.

I don't think they're too bad. They were all still at .026". Definitely some center electrode erosion towards the side of the ground strap.

Automotive tire Auto part Coil spring Composite material Wood

Automotive tire Coil spring Gas Coil Composite material

White Automotive tire Suspension Coil spring Auto part

Reactions: TurboGT and W4R

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Been running the plugs about 12 days now and other than a few more misfire-feeling things on cold startup, they're working just fine. I was still getting some negative corrections when it was crazy hot (over 100 F), but after chatting with TurboGT a little bit on it we have concluded the negatives are likely just a product of the lousy "91" octane I'm dealing with here. Thus, I've been putting a gallon of E85 in the car with each fill-up, and it's knocked down the negative corrections to basically 0. I'll still get a little blip on take-off sometimes, but that's expected.

The car definitely runs fine with the Brisk plugs... Had to get on it this morning to squeeze into a space between a truck coming slowly up on my left and the guy in front of me, and after dropping it into 4th at 73 mph, it scooted right up past 90 pretty quick. 25.6 psi and 0 negative corrections, and that wasn't even WOT.

Reactions: ezeefpv

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@rob99rt Interesting. So if I read your last post correctly...you "octane boosted" your 91 by supplementing it with E85 despite not being tuned for E? Sounds like a cool "octane boost" without resorting to the canned/bottled boosters you find at the auto parts store.
You can put up to 2 gallons of e85 (some say 2 1/2) in the tank without increasing the E content too far. The "91" I get here is never fully 91. Everything here uses a shared octane pump, and the low grade garbage here is 85. EVERYBODY uses 85 in their stuff... I've even seen guys with ecoboost trucks putting that junk in their tanks. So, when I fill up, I get the 85 in the line and pump inner holding tank (about a gallon in the tank plus 1/3 gallon in the main line from the pump plus the line internal to the pump down to the holding tank). Even if you fill up with 10 gallons of fuel, you're going to get 1.3-1.4 gallons of 85 with that fill-up. Thus, your max octane with a 10 gallon fill-up is 90.2 octane....

However, if you toss in a gallon of E85, which is supposed to have an octane rating of 105 into your tank ((11.4 * 90.2)+ (1*105))/12.4, you get an overall octane of 91.4.... If you're going the 2 gallon of E85 route, the new octane number becomes 92.53, but your mileage is probably going to bottom out a bit with that high of an ethanol content. I know mine took about a 3 1/2 mpg hit with this last tank thanks to the addition of the E85

Reactions: ezeefpv

Registered
Used to run those Brisk's in my bikes. They burn up real quick though...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts