Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently completed first track day with a '17 ST1.
About a 2 mile road course with 10+ turns. 80 degree day.
* Stock Eagle F1s (30 psi) performed well, had all the grip I needed until 4th session when track and tires got hotter. They got a little greasy, but the ST handled it with minimal and very controllable sliding through sweepers. Will likely try a different summer tire next year.
* Brakes - Hawk DTC 60's for front pads and hi temp fluid were my only mods. These pads performed extremely well. No fade after 5 - 20 minute sessions. At times the brakes were a little much for the tires (locked up a few times), but not an issue. Under extremely (straight line) hard braking, the rear end felt a little light and squirrelly. Uncertain yet if it would help if I upgraded rear pads, or if that is normal for the ST with track braking.
* Engine and oil temps remained moderate
* Ran with ESC off (some call that track mode)
* Torque steer - a non issue on this road course
* Seats - base non recaro seats had plenty of side support while cornering
Can't wait until the next one !
Most of all, thanks to all those that took the time to post their earlier ST track experiences, so I could use those to best prepare.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Sounds very similar to my experience with the stock FoST on the Eagle F1s. What track did you go to?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recently completed first track day with a '17 ST1.
About a 2 mile road course with 10+ turns. 80 degree day.
* Stock Eagle F1s (30 psi) performed well, had all the grip I needed until 4th session when track and tires got hotter. They got a little greasy, but the ST handled it with minimal and very controllable sliding through sweepers. Will likely try a different summer tire next year.
* Brakes - Hawk DTC 60's for front pads and hi temp fluid were my only mods. These pads performed extremely well. No fade after 5 - 20 minute sessions. At times the brakes were a little much for the tires (locked up a few times), but not an issue. Under extremely (straight line) hard braking, the rear end felt a little light and squirrelly. Uncertain yet if it would help if I upgraded rear pads, or if that is normal for the ST with track braking.
* Engine and oil temps remained moderate
* Ran with ESC off (some call that track mode)
* Torque steer - a non issue on this road course
* Seats - base non recaro seats had plenty of side support while cornering
Can't wait until the next one !
Most of all, thanks to all those that took the time to post their earlier ST track experiences, so I could use those to best prepare.
Be careful, tracking a car can become a crazy addiction :)

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Amen!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts