Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed is starting probably about a month ago when the weather was getting colder. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get into 1st or reverse unless I shift into 3rd first for some reason. Anyone else experience this and have any idea what could be causing it? Transmission oil was already changed.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Have you changed the fluid in the gearbox?
My reverse gear has always been rough to get into. I got even more of a pain after installing the Mountune Quick-Shift kit. Keeping in mind, I'm only at >1400 miles, so I hope it gets easier.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What kind of mileage is on the car? I am not 100% on the material used to make the fluid lines steel braded soft lines vs steel hard lines or a combination of the two but it could just be a swollen line preventing the clutch from fully disengaging and shifting into a higher gear first stops the input shaft from moving allowing you to get into a lower gear. The easiest way I was told to check for a clutch issue vs a trans issue is to shift between the gears with the car off. If it is reasonably smooth without the engine running it generally means that the issue is clutch related. At least that's the way it was with my older vehicles I could be wrong with the new stuff.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you changed the fluid in the gearbox?
My reverse gear has always been rough to get into. I got even more of a pain after installing the Mountune Quick-Shift kit. Keeping in mind, I'm only at >1400 miles, so I hope it gets easier.
Trans oil/fluid you mean? Or is there something else? Because I already changed the trans oil to the recommended motul.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the same issue, changed the transmission oil to the Motul, installed a cobb shift plate, replaced the shift cable bushing, shift cable bracket bushing, and shifter base bushings to solid pieces and now no issues not even on cold starts.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Yes, that's what I was referring to. I want to swap mine out with Motul as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have noticed this with mine also. Some times i need to try to get it into R or !st a few times before it actually engages. 2016 st3 6K mls

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The only issue I have is reverse being stiff. If I shift into 1st first, then reverse it slides right in. This is a pretty old trick though, so not specific to ST's. Reverse isn't synchronized and it uses some of the same gearing as 1st so once you put it in first the gears are all lined up and it pops right into reverse. That's my best scientific explanation!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I noticed is starting probably about a month ago when the weather was getting colder. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get into 1st or reverse unless I shift into 3rd first for some reason. Anyone else experience this and have any idea what could be causing it? Transmission oil was already changed.
Weird, its very difficult for me to shift into reverse unless I shift into 1st, first. I have no issues getting into first. I have a 2016 with 7,000 miles on it. I've experienced this since day 1.

Edit: After reading other posts, my situation makes more sense. Perhaps a trip to the dealer is in order?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine does this as well until the car has had a chance to warm up, however i'd like to change my fluid to the Motul and install a short throw in it soon.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The only issue I have is reverse being stiff. If I shift into 1st first, then reverse it slides right in. This is a pretty old trick though, so not specific to ST's. Reverse isn't synchronized and it uses some of the same gearing as 1st so once you put it in first the gears are all lined up and it pops right into reverse. That's my best scientific explanation!
Forgot to say I have a shift kit on it, which while making shifts shorter, also makes them stiffer. I have it at 30%

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you are starting and running in Neutral then all the internals of the Transmission are spinning. So Reverse has no synchro and takes a second for everything to spin down. You clutch in and go to 1st it will stop the internals spinning and make Reverse easier to get into. The 1st gear synchro stops the spinning masses. I have always gone 1st then reverse just because of this, when I left the car clutch out in neutral.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have had little quirks with the transmission from an early mileage, yet I'm at over 60k now and it still operates well. My advice, don't ever force it into any gear. I regularly have to try multiple forward gears when going from being parked to get into reverse. Similarly, I often go to 4th before back into 1st at stop lights because it is really smooth then. It will go into 1st without trying another gear first but would require significantly more effort. I wish the transmission was perfect but upshifts and downshifts are pretty good otherwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts