Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I've been a bit absent as of late... Since moving to California and being busy at work, I needed a project I could take my time on and not have to rush because I needed the vehicle. Pouring money in to the ST started to drain cash, and TBH, I got a bit bored of it. I had a trail bike back in Wisconsin that I never really finished and it still sits at my relatives' place. It would cost too much cash to get the thing shipped here, so I stumbled upon this recently...a 1970 Honda CT90

It wasn't in the best shape, but a solid candidate to revive for not much money.

First task was to get it running. Battery, carb rebuild, points, and adjust valves.

Derust gas tank. I hate doing this...

Next was to actual restore the parts I could. Lots of penetrating oil, steel wool, and patience...

All the spot rusted chrome removed

Started from the back and worked my way forward

BEFORE

AFTER

HALF THE REAR RIM CHROME RESTORED, HALF NOT

ENGINE CLEANUP

Most of the chrome bits are all cleanup up now and reinstalled. Still have to do the front rim and I'm waiting on the throttle cable holder that I broke today...grrr

That's it for now. I'll post up vids and more pics when I have it all finished.

Oh Yea...forgot to mention it still has the original plates from when the bike was sold in 1972 (now registered to me). Even has the original dealer plate frame that I restored and put back on.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Sweet project! Rode the heck out of a Trail 70 back in the 80's myself.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Cool little build. I love the old/and current honda motors so strong and easy to work on.

I Had several 3 wheelers and a 400ex and i miss them

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool little build. I love the old/and current honda motors so strong and easy to work on.

I Had several 3 wheelers and a 400ex and i miss them
Yea. It's super easy to take apart and work on. Probably one of the best built machines I've ever worked on. Honda standardized so many parts for their bikes that I can still get nearly 60% of the parts for this thing OEM directly from Honda.

When it's done I plan to do some mountain climbs in the Sierra Nevada or Santa Cruz mountains.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Too small for me now, but maybe my girls.

Drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hey guys. I've been a bit absent as of late... Since moving to California and being busy at work, I needed a project I could take my time on and not have to rush because I needed the vehicle. Pouring money in to the ST started to drain cash, and TBH, I got a bit bored of it. I had a trail bike back in Wisconsin that I never really finished and it still sits at my relatives' place. It would cost too much cash to get the thing shipped here, so I stumbled upon this recently...a 1970 Honda CT90

It wasn't in the best shape, but a solid candidate to revive for not much money.

First task was to get it running. Battery, carb rebuild, points, and adjust valves.

Derust gas tank. I hate doing this...

Next was to actual restore the parts I could. Lots of penetrating oil, steel wool, and patience...

All the spot rusted chrome removed

Started from the back and worked my way forward

BEFORE

AFTER

HALF THE REAR RIM CHROME RESTORED, HALF NOT

ENGINE CLEANUP

Most of the chrome bits are all cleanup up now and reinstalled. Still have to do the front rim and I'm waiting on the throttle cable holder that I broke today...grrr

That's it for now. I'll post up vids and more pics when I have it all finished.

Oh Yea...forgot to mention it still has the original plates from when the bike was sold in 1972 (now registered to me). Even has the original dealer plate frame that I restored and put back on.
Our little Z50. uploadfromtaptalk1431991205531.jpg

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I JB Welded the throttle cable holder (interim fix), I was able to button everything back up.

Rode it for an hour today! Got a couple of compliments from a guy on a CBR I pulled up next to at a light.

The carb could still stand to be tuned better and I might replace the slow jet, but overall, she runs and drives great.

Needs new rear brake shoes and I have a new rear brake cable that will go in this weekend. I'll probably just do both front and rear shoes at one time...

Felt really good to cash in on all those hours put in on this thing!!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My dad has a couple of these. Tbh, he looks so strange riding one. Weird that they kinda have a cult following. I will take some pics of his next time I'm there for you.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad has a couple of these. Tbh, he looks so strange riding one. Weird that they kinda have a cult following. I will take some pics of his next time I'm there for you.
They do have a cult following, but something about them is just so much fun to drive. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's definitely the vehicle to have in the zombie apocalypse...it goes through anything.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
They do have a cult following, but something about them is just so much fun to drive. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's definitely the vehicle to have in the zombie apocalypse...it goes through anything.
Thanks for sharing, brings back so many memories. In the 70's I had one that I rode all over the hills between Canyon Lake and Bundy Canyon when we lived in Lake Elsinore California. I had a "saddle bag" extra fuel tank on the left side, strap my backpack to the cargo rack, and shot gun over the shoulder. My buddies and I would drive to the local gas station fill up and head in to the hills camp out and hunt rabbits all weekend. Towed buddies on their bikes if they broke down, carried my best friend to the hospital when he step on a broken jar while bare foot and about cut his heel off, and it towed my brothers Celica GT about a mile. That trail 90 never broke down, went anywhere I asked it to go.

Fond memories of by gone days, those hills are probably shopping malls and subdivisions now. I suppose now the SWAT team would have be called in if 5 young teenagers on motorcycles all with guns come rolling up to a gas station.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing, brings back so many memories. In the 70's I had one that I rode all over the hills between Canyon Lake and Bundy Canyon when we lived in Lake Elsinore California. I had a "saddle bag" extra fuel tank on the left side, strap my backpack to the cargo rack, and shot gun over the shoulder. My buddies and I would drive to the local gas station fill up and head in to the hills camp out and hunt rabbits all weekend. Towed buddies on their bikes if they broke down, carried my best friend to the hospital when he step on a broken jar while bare foot and about cut his heel off, and it towed my brothers Celica GT about a mile. That trail 90 never broke down, went anywhere I asked it to go.

Fond memories of by gone days, those hills are probably shopping malls and subdivisions now. I suppose now the SWAT team would have be called in if 5 young teenagers on motorcycles all with guns come rolling up to a gas station.
Haha. Good stuff. These things are indestructible. Everybody at Apple is so confused when I drive through campus.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My cousin had one of those for awhile that about the same condition as yours now. thing was pretty neat. We took it through the woods a few times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts