Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the paper in the mail for the recall a while back and kept putting it off to take my car in to get it fixed cause I had no symptoms... until recently, my car started to stall sometimes at a very low tank or right after filling it up, then my car threw a p1450 code and I heard from someone that it is covered under the recall. First thing I did was call my local dealer and they took my vin and info down and said they'd call me back which they didnt so I called back and they said no codes and specifically my code(even though I had to read off exactly what the code was to him) are covered and then he said nothing is covered and if I want to get the recall done I have to pay upfront for the "diagnostics fee" to see if its actually the recall causing the code. Anyway, do I go to the next dealer that's a bit further away or do I go in and argue with their service manager?

·
Registered
940 Posts
No you call him tell ALL focuses between a certain build dates are REQUIRED to have the software update that will alert them of malfunctioning egr bypass valves or whatever the hell its called. Second to that, which the first must be done either way, codes, no codes, no signs nothing, its to be done either way. But as i was saying, they are also supposed to check your current valve for signs of failing and check your gas tanok for deformation. Id call him back tell him that your giving him a chance to honor Fords recall, or if not call Ford National customer service hotline and place a serious complaint, cause im pretty sure its illegal for a dealer to refuse to do a recall unless you pay for it. You have a right as the car owner when a recall is mandated on a vehilce you own to proper and free of charge fix. That doesnt mean you get to choose the fix or ask for a refund if youve already paid for it. But you are entitled to a free recall fix if your vehicle is under the recall. This is off of the NHTSA website. If this guy was the main service manager, if not ask to speak with him, if he was ask to sbnb, bmmmmak with the manager of the entire business and explain the problem your having. If still having issues, then explain to.him youll be contacting the manufacturer and dealing with them to.further set the appt. As the manufacturer will contact the dealer and find out why they are trying to charge you a diagnostic fee for doing a recall.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My.second thing is you need to call and say i got a letter to call and set a recall service. If your calling them saying that i got a code and i want to find out whats causing it they are going to charge you a diagnosis fee because they arent just doing the recall. You need to just have the recall performed then see if your still getting the codes. Another way you can see if your tank is deformed, run it as low as you can if you run out of gas with qtr tank left most likely your tank is deformed, or if you get it the whole way down to like an 1/8th of a tank and then fill it completely if it only holds 7 gallons then the tank is deformed most likely. Well let us know how you continue.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dealers can’t charge for recalls, it’s a safety issue. The bottom line is that you’re going to have to take the car in & leave it for a day or two. I wouldn’t even bother with any more phone calls, just figure out when you have some time, during the week, to drop it off. I realize it’s an inconvenience however do it now before the car leaves you stranded somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dealers can’t charge for recalls, it’s a safety issue. The bottom line is that you’re going to have to take the car in & leave it for a day or two. I wouldn’t even bother with any more phone calls, just figure out when you have some time, during the week, to drop it off. I realize it’s an inconvenience however do it now before the car leaves you stranded somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well no, they can't charge for recalls, however they can and will charge for diagnostic work. They still have to perform diag on the customer concern to see what it is. If its related to a recall then great, they will flip it to warranty and customer will not be charged. But we still give them a heads up at check in saying "This may be related to a recall, but in the event that it is not our diagnostic charge is $XXX". If you don't want to have that chance of the diag charge then simply take the vehicle in for its recall and hope that fixes it. If it doesn't then return and pay for diagnostic at that time, kind of a waste of a trip if you ask me.

This is coming from a dealership service advisor if that helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer wants to charge me to return the performance calibration to stock. This is the same dealer that I had put the FRPP calibration on the car and they subsequently lost the stock PC3 file. I had them do it to maintain the warranty, but now they want $200+ to perform the recall.

Anyone else have experience with this? FRPP has told me it's a simple task, and offered to send me a new code to re apply after recall, but only the dealer can return the car to stock calibration.

My service advisor has basically told me it's pay up or no recall because they are a Roush dealer and not Ford performance...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate everyone's insight, I'll probably be taking the car in the next couple days and hopefully all goes well. I'll let you know if it doesnt go as planned lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would report the first dealer for his major attitude problem and then take your car to another deal for the recall work.
Your symptoms are exactly what the recall is about. In my case, they updated the software, replaced a purge valve, and found that the gas tank was not deformed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts