Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

I guess this "glitch" has been building up for awhile . . . as I haven't been able to have work the car is only driven a couple times a week, one of them the "Sunday drive" that's about 40 miles each way, including canyon and freeway. So on Sunday I try to use ESCape mode, lately when holding the button I have to hold it down all the way through two windows that are seemingly saying the same thing, and if I let up before the second window finishes out then the icon doesn't show up on the dash . . . and, this might be the new part, it's a one try per start cycle. If it fails to ESC then I have to turn the engine off to re-set and try again.

Yesterday morning it took two tries to activate ESC, but on the return trip, it took three tries, but on the third attempt I held it down through the full two ESC windows and even then it didn't load ESC. Had to shut down and Sport mode it home????

So the previous attempts that seemed to take more holding of the button seemed to be leading up to this "failure to ESCape" problem, the problem now is clearly "a glitch" . . . . I didn't see any "failure to execute" messages, but then I haven't checked any "diagnostics" on it . . . I think I had to do that awhile back, but "senior moment" on how to check for "codes" . . . car is under a cover so I can't just walk into my clean garage with the machines to plug in for system diagnosis on it . . . . Is this a "known issue" for a car with 15.5K miles???

Other question, for the same reason, car covered . . . I think my car was built in Sept 17 . . . so rather than being a "two year old car" it is now a "three year old car" . . . is "three years" on brake and clutch fluid the recommended service interval? Or something that gets kicked down the road a bit more? I have another 400 or so miles before the dealer wants to see me for oil/filter change and tire rotation . . . so I can bring him the glitch problem and other items then . . . .

Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, nobody has had any issues with the ESC/Sport mode button having issues??? I'm the first guy on the forum to have this problem, for a new and unique category ???? First guy to have the "fail to boot into ESC" problem???

Nothing to do to try to get ESC to "reboot"??? Nothing to check?? Limp it over to the dealer in sport mode and let them figure it out, if they can . . . since this must be the first time this has happened to any ST, will they be able to figure it out???? Might be too difficult to know????

·
Registered
689 Posts
It doesn't appear to be a common problem. Are you just holding the button for a few seconds to disable ESC (Electronic Stability Control - Not "Escape"). Pushing the button once enters "Sport Mode". Holding the button for 5 seconds disables TSC and ESC altogether (Track Mode). Also, if entering Sport Mode, you don't need to wait for the prompt to finish on the center display, you can just press "OK" on your steering wheel. You also don't need to go to Sport to get to Track mode.

Are you tuned at all?

Tip: Snide remarks won't bode well for you when seeking free advice or help from others.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't appear to be a common problem. Are you just holding the button for a few seconds to disable ESC (Electronic Stability Control - Not "Escape"). Pushing the button once enters "Sport Mode". Holding the button for 5 seconds disables TSC and ESC altogether (Track Mode). Also, if entering Sport Mode, you don't need to wait for the prompt to finish on the center display, you can just press "OK" on your steering wheel. You also don't need to go to Sport to get to Track mode.

Are you tuned at all?

Tip: Snide remarks won't bode well for you when seeking free advice or help from others.
@xTheMan42

Thanks for the reply and the procedure for pressing OK to get to Sport . . . btw I do whatever it takes to get a response, esp use of sarcasm, sarcasm is my old friend, it's been very helpful. I've had folks even beefing about my use of punctuation on this forum, so it's like water off a ducks back as we used to say in construction.

So, OK, yes I haven't seen too much about the button . . . . Sport mode doesn't seem to be affected, it's mostly click n play . . . but lately I was using ESC and all was well, until now that the button seems to demand sustained holding to get into ESC, then on Sunday even sustained holding didn't work, so I had to just use Sport.

I could previously hold the button for 5 seconds and ESC booted up . . . I could let go of the button before the second window; Sunday if I let off after 5 seconds it just dropped out, and then pressing the button again with the engine running brought nothing, so I had to restart the engine to be able to start the procedure over . . . essentially it failed that way 2-3x before I went for Sport.

Nope, no tune.

Reactions: xTheMan42

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
@xTheMan42

Thanks for the reply and the procedure for pressing OK to get to Sport . . . btw I do whatever it takes to get a response, esp use of sarcasm, sarcasm is my old friend, it's been very helpful. I've had folks even beefing about my use of punctuation on this forum, so it's like water off a ducks back as we used to say in construction.

So, OK, yes I haven't seen too much about the button . . . . Sport mode doesn't seem to be affected, it's mostly click n play . . . but lately I was using ESC and all was well, until now that the button seems to demand sustained holding to get into ESC, then on Sunday even sustained holding didn't work, so I had to just use Sport.

I could previously hold the button for 5 seconds and ESC booted up . . . I could let go of the button before the second window; Sunday if I let off after 5 seconds it just dropped out, and then pressing the button again with the engine running brought nothing, so I had to restart the engine to be able to start the procedure over . . . essentially it failed that way 2-3x before I went for Sport.

Nope, no tune.
Try disconnecting the negative battery at the chassis, turn on the headlights to drain any stored energy, wait about 30 seconds and reattach the ground.

Reactions: theBluFlash

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try disconnecting the negative battery at the chassis, turn on the headlights to drain any stored energy, wait about 30 seconds and reattach the ground.
@ddfred

OK, so essentially that is the way to get the "brain" to reboot itself??

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
@ddfred

OK, so essentially that is the way to get the "brain" to reboot itself??
Should reset the whole car, so, yes. May not fix anything, but won't hurt anything either.

Reactions: theBluFlash

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should reset the whole car, so, yes. May not fix anything, but won't hurt anything either.
@ddfred
I saw your post from what might have been 2014 on what looks like a similar issue to mine . . . as always it's difficult to know when "pilot error" is the cause . . . but did seem like other '13/'14 owners were saying "this is a known bug" . . . and at that time there was a "Ford Service" profile who was offering to help out on the Ford end . . . .

I'll have to test it out again and see if it continues, or comes and goes . . . obviously it doesn't take too much knowledge to pop a ground bolt . . . I could probably figure that out . . . but turning the headlights on while doing that???? likely beyond my pay grade . . . . : - )

·
Registered
689 Posts
@ddfred
I saw your post from what might have been 2014 on what looks like a similar issue to mine . . . as always it's difficult to know when "pilot error" is the cause . . . but did seem like other '13/'14 owners were saying "this is a known bug" . . . and at that time there was a "Ford Service" profile who was offering to help out on the Ford end . . . .

I'll have to test it out again and see if it continues, or comes and goes . . . obviously it doesn't take too much knowledge to pop a ground bolt . . . I could probably figure that out . . . but turning the headlights on while doing that???? likely beyond my pay grade . . . . : - )
Turn the lights on after you disconnect the ground wire, it will drain charge from your car fast. Essentially after you reconnect the ground and turn the car back on, the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) gets reset.

This makes the ECU relearn your driving habits too, so you may notice more pep to your throttle response.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turn the lights on after you disconnect the ground wire, it will drain charge from your car fast. Essentially after you reconnect the ground and turn the car back on, the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) gets reset.

This makes the ECU relearn your driving habits too, so you may notice more pep to your throttle response.
@xTheMan42

Pep??? Pep??? We don need no stinkin' pep . . . . But we do like cheap tricks to get more power . . . cheap is good. That sounds cheaper than doing a tune . . . have to dig out the dusty toolbox . . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts