Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INSTAGRAM: jemery718 (if you wanna put a face to the post/see some other things I do along with the car)

Hey everyone!

So i've had the car less than a week. At the time of post, I have 120 miles on the odo and intake already installed. I purchased everything at once (Car too). The only thing I have installed right now is the intake. I know there's a lot of people out there cringing...but, fortunately ive worked hard my entire life and have earned a career that compensates me enough to afford an entirely new engine.

IMG_20170519_120649 (1).jpg IMG_20170517_192830.jpg

Cobb CAI (Installed)
Cobb CB exhaust (Installed)
Cobb Catted down pipe (Installed)
Cobb Shift Plate (Installed)
Cobb Access port (Installed)
Cobb FMIC (Installed)
Cobb knob (Installed)
Cobb Rear motor Mount (Installed)
Boomba Symposer delete (Installed)
Boomba Oil Catch can (PCV) (Installed)
Boomba Shifter Bracket Bushings (Installed)
Boomba Shifter Base Bushings (Installed)
NGK Iridium IX 6510 1 Step Colder Spark Plugs (Installed)
Stratified Automotive Flash Tune (Installed)
CP-e Exhale kit (Tial) (Installed)

Im sure there will be plenty more parts to that list over time, but thats what I have for now. I have a picture of the car and just some of the parts below! lmk what you guys think! thanks!

05/23/2017-570mi
Installed the COBB shift plate today! it's incredible. The install was kind of a pain in the A** because i forgot to install the plastic washer and set screw hahaha. I had the whole thing together, roll pin back in, went to go put the intake back together and saw the set screw sitting in the hatch. Tried to screw it in while it was already on the tranny for 20 mins and failed horribly. had to tap out the roll pin and put it back in all over again after I installed the set screw. Lesson learned lol. Some pics below!

Shifting now is amazing, throw is significantly reduced. took all of 5 minutes to adjust to it.

IMG_20170523_144810.jpg IMG_20170523_143929.jpg IMG_20170523_143455.jpg

05/28/2017-1000mi
Alright everyone so today i decided to go stage 1. Hit 1000 miles and decided it was appropriate lol.
So far we have installed the
COBB RMM
COBB Shift plate
COBB Cat back exhaust
COBB Knob
COBB CAI
COBB AP V3
Turbosmart 50/50 BOV/BP valve

The item I had the most trouble with was this thing, the CAI, fitment was a compete pain in the ass. I got it though. There is one thing that still bothers me though. There is a small lip (almost like a locking key/set key) on the stock airbox, its about 1/4 in long and prevents me from seating the coupling on the air box completely. It took me about 2.5 hours. and most of that was fitment lol
IMG_20170527_121038.jpg IMG_20170527_121046.jpg

The catback exhaust was one of the easiest things I put on today. All of the install videos i saw had a partner, but I was able to get this thing on my self. The hardest part was the mid pipe. It kept sliding off of the COBB exhaust hanger before i could get it bolted to the down pipe. As for the rear resonator, I unbolted both brackets while the stock exhaust was still hanging on it, removed them from stock, installed on COBB resonator end, then just re-bolted them back on the car. had ONE problem with this though. One of the bolts for the exhaust hanger bracket was cross threaded from the factory. As i was unscrewing it I noticed it was way harder to remove then the other three. Once i got it out, metal shavings everywhere, and almost unrecognizable threads the first 1/4 of the bolt. Didnt need to re-tap. Just screwed it in all f'd up like the factory did hahaha. I wish i had better/more pictures of underneath

IMG_20170527_121116.jpg
IMG_20170527_121122.jpg

RMM was actually pretty easy too, and actually i think my favorite upgrade. Shifting, feel, just everything is better. I only noticed increased vibration when I had the defrosters running at idle (to help cool the oil temp for the turbo)

IMG_20170527_135001.jpg

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
53 Posts
Real good start, if yiur county doesnt require emissions grt Cobbs DP as well, thhe whole set up sounds crazy good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
why all cobb? You could easily have saved hundreds and been able to buy a FMIC as well

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Real good start, if yiur county doesnt require emissions grt Cobbs DP as well, thhe whole set up sounds crazy good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks man! and already got it! I think I got everything they offer for the focus ST, with the exception on any suspension, wheel, and brake components. The parts list in the OP is everything I actually already own. its just not installed yet, non-tune mods first just to make sure its not hiding any flaws from factory, then ill install the rest and tune!

Also we do require emissions, I haven't researched it yet but i saw briefly somewhere on these forums there was a way to pass. With some kind of defouler or something...Do you know if this is true? I think im good for atleast 2 years though. I think NY only requires safety inspections the first two years of a new vehicle but im not %100

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installed the COBB shift plate today! see original post for the details and pics!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mileage update! roughly 800 miles on the ODO with the CAI, shift plate has only been on for a couple hundred. no problems yet!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went stage 1 today! See the original post for some pics and details. Whatever they wouldnt let me fit on there im posting on this post!

Difference between RMM
IMG_20170527_131342.jpg

and of coarse the beloved COBB knob!
IMG_20170527_121211.jpg

I also installed the AP V3, and reflashed the ECU to COBB OTS Stage 1 93 OCT.
Where i really saw a difference was on the low end and the (very) high end. It didnt blow my mind as ive seen some others describe, but it was definitely an improvement. I was monitoring the AFR, Fuel quality and IG timing 1&4 for the first 100 miles and everything seemed to be within spec. And my engine hasnt exploded yet so I would say stage 1 is a SUCCESS!
IMG_20170527_163439.jpg

Stage 2 is on the way! just have to install the FMIC and reflash! wont tune with Stratified until im Stage 3 (just because im moving so quickly and dont want to waste money on tunes that ill only use for a week or two)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
06/01/2017-1200mi

Prepping the FMIC for install this weekend!!!!!!
IMG_20170601_172833.jpg IMG_20170601_195855.jpg IMG_20170601_195903.jpg IMG_20170601_201058.jpg

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
as long as you are enjoying it that's all that matters.. you haven't done anything distasteful to the car so i'm all for it!

Reactions: Manoah and Loxias

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as long as you are enjoying it that's all that matters.. you haven't done anything distasteful to the car so i'm all for it!
Thanks man! thats the goal, not be obnoxious lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2000mi!!!!!

installed the FMIC! I did it a while ago but have been busy with the military the last couple of weeks (im a reservist)

it was definitely the most difficult piece to install. For anyone installing the Cobb FMIC, the crash bar isnt terrible to get through. Set your drill to low and slow, depress trigger 1/4 of the way, plenty of pressure and oil. youll get through it in 15 minutes like I did.

Only other piece of advice i can give is only drop the radiator one side at a time if your by yourself. I had a hell of a time bolting the support bracket back on with both sides undone at the same time.

Other than that....total install time was like 6 or 7 hours, I was also pretty intoxicated as well so im assuming a lot of you could do it a lot faster lol

PICS!
IMG_20170602_173432.jpg IMG_20170603_073131.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright so I finally got around to installing the sound symposer delete. The reason it took so long was because i couldnt decide whether to keep the Cobb plate or go with the boomba that came with the delrin plug for the firewall, decided to sell the Cobb plate to a local st guy for $45 and ordered the boomba.

IMG_20170703_075544.jpg IMG_20170703_075530.jpg IMG_20170703_080000.jpg IMG_20170703_075957.jpg

It made a world of difference. Even the wife noticed, shes more happier about it then I am. No more droning down the highway in combination with the exhaust.

I also ordered a catch can from Boomba as well, The car only has 4000 miles on it now, When i pulled the symposer off the intake manifold it was saturated in oil, Even though i wiped most of it off, you can still see the sheen of it in the picture, not looking forward to see how bad the valves are when i have to pull off the IM to install the catch can. Will try and see if i can get good pics of inside the cylinder head when i do.
IMG_20170703_075619.jpg

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dunno how I haven't seen this thread before. Nice clean car, nice job on all the installs and keep it coming sir! What part of NY are you in? The city or out in the country up north?

Reactions: Loxias

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
My god. Your dog. That alone makes me appreciate this so much more than I already do lol. Great car and excellent dog! Lmao

I followed your Instagram, I try to get all the ST guys I see on Instagram from the forum, plus you have a Corgi.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Dunno how I haven't seen this thread before. Nice clean car, nice job on all the installs and keep it coming sir! What part of NY are you in? The city or out in the country up north?
Thanks man! Right now i'm located in the lower hudson valley, Ossining NY. About 30 miles North of Manhattan. Trying to re-locate further up though, like mid-hudson valley near Poughkeepsie. Eventually when I buy my first home in the next few years I will relocate to the Buffalo area across the state lol. I make NYC money but can't afford these 400K-600K houses down here. Plan is to save that NYC money...then GTFO of this money pit of a county called Westchester. I can get a house twice as nice for half the price up near buffalo......besides plenty of room for my dog to run around lol.

My god. Your dog. That alone makes me appreciate this so much more than I already do lol. Great car and excellent dog! Lmao

I followed your Instagram, I try to get all the ST guys I see on Instagram from the forum, plus you have a Corgi.
Thanks man! ah that was you! I followed back as soon as I saw your awesome ST, I love that blue! my dogs name is Ollie, and believe it or not... no one wanted him. I found him on a farm somewhere in NJ...lady that owned the land didn't want him and she couldn't give him away either....which is very surprising. Hes my little a**[email protected], and the reason i have to vacuum the ST twice a week lol, hes my best friend and where i go he goes. Tried to get him in the corgi race last weekend down in Manhattan but he doesnt listen worth a s**** hahaha

solid build, nice work! i like that you made up your mind so fast, and just ran with it, no ragrets, not even one letter.
Thanks i apprecite that! Yeah man had to do it, I'm about to have kids and purchase a home in the next couple years...this car is my last hoorah of freedom lol. The wife said "I dont care what you get, as long as it has 4 doors, we're having kids soon" so here we are lol. After this car...its lookin like mini-vans or SUVs from there. I wont be able to trick her like i did with this one hahahaha.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed the oil catch can today! But you guys gotta see these pictures....Not even 5k on it yet and theres oil everywhere. Check it out,

First sign of trouble..Right when i remove the IM from the head, oil drippings from right where the gasket seals.
IMG_20170703_121710.jpg

Oil and carbon coated valve heads, I'll have to let guys who have experience chime in on this but it looks pretty substantial to me, esp with only 4k on the motor. I am aware that this is a DI engine and the fuel doesn't get to the top of the valves to clean them. The coking still looks excessive to me for the mileage.
IMG_20170703_121718.jpg

Little Puddles of oil sitting right in the runner ports for the IM. Did the best I could cleaning it up during the install.
IMG_20170703_121917.jpg

And finally The finished install! engine bay is a little dirty from the pollen around here, thanks to all the armor-all the dealership coated the engine bay with while it was on the showroom floor inside.
Screenshot_20170703-182847.png

I still haven't gotten to the Down pipe yet. I just need to order the defouler from vibrant for the rear 02 sensor. Hopefully i'll be able to get to it this month. Got a-lot of weddings and other BS going on during the weekends in the summer :(

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Thanks man! ah that was you! I followed back as soon as I saw your awesome ST, I love that blue! my dogs name is Ollie, and believe it or not... no one wanted him. I found him on a farm somewhere in NJ...lady that owned the land didn't want him and she couldn't give him away either....which is very surprising. Hes my little a**[email protected], and the reason i have to vacuum the ST twice a week lol, hes my best friend and where i go he goes. Tried to get him in the corgi race last weekend down in Manhattan but he doesnt listen worth a s****
Haha yeah and I had to send your account my girlfriends way because she's a corgi fanatic also haha. She doesn't mind our cars either :cool: I need to seriously clean my ST up and get some good shots on my Insta. I know so many cool locations I've taken some of friends bikes in 4k but never my own bike or car

Reactions: Loxias

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alright we're up to 5k and we are finally "Stage 3"

I decided to put the down pipe on the other day, I have no idea where my defouler (j-pipe) is. I had time this weekend and got tired of waiting for it to come in so i just installed the downpipe without it.
IMG_20170710_174129.jpg

However I can't claim victory soley to myself....I was bested by the dreaded V-band clamp. I couldnt get that little bastard off, even with only 5k on it. thing was baked on there. For those of you who have done this before, take not of the tension bolt and the retaining lip on top of it holding it in to the clamp itself....yeah i broke it lol, not beyond repair but def beyond original design. After 2 hours of tapping and banging, i finally brought it to my buddies shop, he threw it on the lift and we had it undone in less then 5 minutes. Just couldnt get the leverage to undo it from ramps and jacks.
IMG_20170710_173942.jpg
So for anyone else brave enough to attempt this on the ground here is something that will help you tremendously. In the pic below youll notice a notch on the inside of the V-band clamp, if you can get a flat head right on this notch and whack it a few times it will come loose....and the are multiple notches around the clamp, which i did not know. I only saw the one...which is probably why i was only able to get one side unfrozen before i gave up, put everything back together, and took it to the shop.
IMG_20170710_173950.jpg
Another pic of the rest of the Cobb turboback since i didnt upload one when i stalled it.
IMG_20170710_174151.jpg
So this is without a doubt the biggest power gain ive gotten so far. I dont know if its attributed to the Cobb OTS stage 3 tune, the down pipe, or both. Power is substantially more noticeable from stage 2, strictly in a sense of feel. haven't put it on a dyno yet, maybe never will lol but im very happy with it. No increase in drone, even loudness as compared to the cat-back with normal driving. Vibrations in normal driving have increased though (this is with Cobb exhaust hangers). HOWEVER when you get on it, its like a sleeping bear...it gets LOUD...suddenly ..and violently lol its a good loud though, it sounds amazing! and im addicted to it.

On another note, its only been a couple hundred miles but the Boomba OCC seems to be doing its job well!
IMG_20170710_180715.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I installed a couple more parts today. I added these just to get a little more volume out of our tiny little turbo, which I did so im happy about that. Definitely getting a lot more spool sound!

First thing I installed was the RS air box. I had this installed for a day before I put on the Velossa Tech Big Mouth. Volume increase was mild, slightly more noticeable spool noise. As for the performance side, Intake temperatures rose more quickly when throttle is let off as compared to the stock air box. Intake temperatures also took a lot longer to get down to ambient when on throttle. So I dont think I would recommend this as a performance enhancer. As for the RS logo...It doesnt bother me, no one really sees under my hood except for me so, whatevs. Pics!

IMG_20170722_163144.jpg

The Velossa Tech Big Mouth also gave me noticeably more volume and I like the way it looks through the grill! It helped with the intake temperatures a lot. However, when im off throttle the intake temps still rise at a faster rate than the stock airbox. They do get to ambient a lot faster when on throttle though, even compared to the stock box with no big mouth. So I guess the obvious thing to do here for performance is re-install the stock box, but for now im just after volume :)

Since the ST is a 17 I didnt have to remove the bumper, just the grill. The grill removes pretty easily, just pulled gently on it close to the edges until it popped out, then worked my way around it. I also removed the driver side headlight so I could see a little better. I was even able to get the rubber shroud through the grill pretty easily. I didnt want to cut it so I just didn't reinstall it. Install was slightly frustrating, but it was just the part of bolting the big mouth on. It also didnt help that I didnt have a DEEP 10mm socket. Pics of the process below!

IMG_20170722_160920.jpg IMG_20170722_160927.jpg IMG_20170722_163135.jpg IMG_20170722_164532.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out, Next on my list of to-dos is Boomba shifter cable bushings, and shift base bushings.

Also looking to do the CPE exhale kit with a Tial BOV. I like the Turbosmart, but I fear it might be a little too obnoxious for my taste.

Ive also decided to name the ST Slampig...for obvious reasons lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts