Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 kona blue stratisfied stage 1 tuned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right so a little bit of a backstory first. So recently i went on a 1900 mile trip in my st. My plugs were somewhat needing to be replaced before i went on the trip but i waited to replace them until i got back which i got done yesterday. Also i recently uninstalled my accessport because i was about to sell my car but ended up not selling it so the whole trip i was on stock tune running 87 octane. when i got back from the trip i reinstalled my accessport and without using my head i insatlled my stratiefied stage 1 93 octane tune with still about half a tank of 87 in the vehicle. Vehicle was running fine for the most part and i really didnt see any issues but today while i was driving into work after about 15 minutes on the freeway i went to change lanes so i downshifted and went to accelerate but i wasnt building any boost so i barely moved. i checked my gauges and car was overheating. coolant temp was about 230 on ap coolant/ oil temp gauges were at about 3/4. i instantly pulled over shut the car down and reflahsed to the stock tune and everything was fine. temps went down, boost was building etc.

My question is what could have caused this? i checked all fluids and everything was full. nothing was leaking. Could the tune just have caused the fans to not turn on?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,970 Posts
I see in your mod list you dont have an intercooler or AGS deleted. Check and make sure the grille shutters arent stuck closed. Also make sure your radiator fan is coming on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see in your mod list you dont have an intercooler or AGS deleted. Check and make sure the grille shutters arent stuck closed. Also make sure your radiator fan is coming on.
With my tune from stratified i chose to have them open all the time and that was the first thing that i checked and they were open

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Building boost with a 93 tune using 87 octane is putting your engine in the extreme danger zone. You probably pulled heavy negative corrections, and kocked the the cylinders a ton.
I figured that would happen but would that cause the engine to overheat?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,970 Posts
With my tune from stratified i chose to have them open all the time and that was the first thing that i checked and they were open
Okay, how about the fan?

Hows coolant Level?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, how about the fan?

Hows coolant Level?
Coolant level was good and idk about the fan because i pulled off on the freeway and forgot to pay attention if it was on or not. but when i got to work i could hear it. I just drove around a little bit on lunch and it wasn't overheating or anything. I got about 40 mi left on this tank then im gonna fill back up with 93 and try flashing the tune again and see if it happens and check if the fans are running.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
29 Posts
Dunno if this will help but when I replaced the front motor mount that contains oil, I had to remove the coolant overflow tank to take out the mount and when I put it back, I accidentally twisted the hose underneath the tank and in doing so, caused a blockage in the cooling system. Long story short, my car started to overheat. So I backtracked and discovered the error and fixed it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dunno if this will help but when I replaced the front motor mount that contains oil, I had to remove the coolant overflow tank to take out the mount and when I put it back, I accidentally twisted the hose underneath the tank and in doing so, caused a blockage in the cooling system. Long story short, my car started to overheat. So I backtracked and discovered the error and fixed it.
Thanks ill look into that. I think it might be the active grill shutters though. after driving home from work yesterday on the stock tune i filled up with 93 and flashed my tune and after getting home i checked the intercooler and found that they were closed even though on my stratifed tune i chose the option to keep them open all the time so i think that might be the issue. its pretty hot in michigan rn and shes not getting the cooling she needs.

im gonna contact them today and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It may not be an issue with the tune, but rather an issue with the AGS themselves. I have read that they can become problematic as they age. Mine worked perfectly up until I removed them to install an FMIC at 10,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
Thanks ill look into that. I think it might be the active grill shutters though. after driving home from work yesterday on the stock tune i filled up with 93 and flashed my tune and after getting home i checked the intercooler and found that they were closed even though on my stratifed tune i chose the option to keep them open all the time so i think that might be the issue. its pretty hot in michigan rn and shes not getting the cooling she needs.

im gonna contact them today and see what they say.
Remove the whole assembly and pop the motor off it, plug it into the electrical Connector, and zip tie it out of the way. They're problematic systems.

·
Super Moderator
9,799 Posts
Remove the whole assembly and pop the motor off it, plug it into the electrical Connector, and zip tie it out of the way. They're problematic systems.
Or, just remove the lower grill, reach in there and yank all those slats out...easy, peasy!

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I agree with TurboGT (post #3)- I am not the authority on anything Focus ST-related, but I'd imagine that if you are tuning the car- that you more than likely also have a real intercooler (or intend on replacing the lowly stock one). As I understand it- you can do so much more with the tuning once you ditch the restrictive stock FMIC and the unnecessary, largely ineffective AGS system.

Even I did - and I was hellbent on staying PS on this car. Once you understand why Ford implemented the AGS to begin with (for a whole host of reasons, not least of all getting the minute, likely unobservable fuel savings to calculate toward their CAFE figures) you'll inch toward removing it. Even Ford Motorsport instructs you to remove it when fitting their branded / approved (Mountune) FMIC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It may not be an issue with the tune, but rather an issue with the AGS themselves. I have read that they can become problematic as they age. Mine worked perfectly up until I removed them to install an FMIC at 10,000 miles.
I thought that too but it works fine when im on the stock map.

I will try that out

Or, just remove the lower grill, reach in there and yank all those slats out...easy, peasy!
honestly ive been thinking about doing that for awhile now lol

I agree with TurboGT (post #3)- I am not the authority on anything Focus ST-related, but I'd imagine that if you are tuning the car- that you more than likely also have a real intercooler (or intend on replacing the lowly stock one). As I understand it- you can do so much more with the tuning once you ditch the restrictive stock FMIC and the unnecessary, largely ineffective AGS system.

Even I did - and I was hellbent on staying PS on this car. Once you understand why Ford implemented the AGS to begin with (for a whole host of reasons, not least of all getting the minute, likely unobservable fuel savings to calculate toward their CAFE figures) you'll inch toward removing it. Even Ford Motorsport instructs you to remove it when fitting their branded / approved (Mountune) FMIC.
I would just get a new intercooler but i plan on selling the car in a couple months so i dont want to spend the money on one if im only gonna have the car another couple months. i havent had any issues with anything on the car up until recently. then on top of that id need to get a whole new tune for the fmic. if i keep the car longer than what i anticipate then i defintley will but in the mean time i plan on leaving it how it is.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That makes total sense to me. If it works properly with the stock tune, but not with the Stratified tune, then I agree- it sounds like something is amiss with the Stratified tune (or you are not setting it up properly on the AP3). What are you thinking of going with next?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That makes total sense to me. If it works properly with the stock tune, but not with the Stratified tune, then I agree- it sounds like something is amiss with the Stratified tune (or you are not setting it up properly on the AP3). What are you thinking of going with next?
the stratified tune just disables the shutters so i think i flashed the tune while they were closed. i didnt feel like sitting there and waiting to flash the car again so i ended just yanking the damn shutter out 🤣

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you haven't already, start with the basics. With the car off can you spin the fan? If yes, start the car and let it get to operating temperature and see if the engine cooling fan starts. If you change your mind and keep the car, definitely remove the shutters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts