Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm more than sick of driving my 96 960 wagon every day, with some other little thing not working quite right. After buying a house this summer, I have lost all interest in fixing/maintaining my daily driver. In old Volvo fashion, it never stops running and is happy to haul whatever, but the A/C quit, the drivers seat moves when it wants to, the tail lights like to flicker and die near squad cars, and the exhaust leaking more each day.

After driving a bunch of options, I finally pulled the trigger.

Tried:
  • CRZ: fun, interesting, good handling. Rear and 3/4 visibility was unforgivable. Also too small to replace a full size wagon
  • Veloster Turbo: a bigger, less fun to drive CRZ. Faster, yes, but somehow more bland.
  • Abarth: couldn't physically fit to test drive (example had a sunroof - maybe a sunroof delete model would have worked?)
  • Accord Sport: very good, but I'm not a huge fan of sedans. Also, there is a fairly high rate of Honda vehicle and wheel theft in my area, and this car will be street parked.

I did drive this back-to-back with the Fiesta ST. It was a hard choice. The Fiesta was a better driver's car and a better handling car for sure. But it was also very small (I couldn't fit in the back seat, period) and I couldn't find the right one anywhere nearby. I also think the Focus ST is a better looking car. I was definitely swayed by the power and goofy induction noise on the Focus. Hopefully it will be trouble free for several years.

I absolutely love the Kona blue, especially in bright light. These overcast photos don't do it justice.

The car will be my year-round daily driver while I fix my ever-broken tuned V70R. I also recently sold my 986, so the ST has some pretty big shoes to fill. So far, so good.

The R:

986 right before I sold it:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Congrats. I too am found of the KB. I went back and fourth before ultimately deciding on the MM.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can't see the last two pics :/

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm more than sick of driving my 96 960 wagon every day, with some other little thing not working quite right. After buying a house this summer, I have lost all interest in fixing/maintaining my daily driver. In old Volvo fashion, it never stops running and is happy to haul whatever, but the A/C quit, the drivers seat moves when it wants to, the tail lights like to flicker and die near squad cars, and the exhaust leaking more each day.

After driving a bunch of options, I finally pulled the trigger.

Tried:
  • CRZ: fun, interesting, good handling. Rear and 3/4 visibility was unforgivable. Also too small to replace a full size wagon
  • Veloster Turbo: a bigger, less fun to drive CRZ. Faster, yes, but somehow more bland.
  • Abarth: couldn't physically fit to test drive (example had a sunroof - maybe a sunroof delete model would have worked?)
  • Accord Sport: very good, but I'm not a huge fan of sedans. Also, there is a fairly high rate of Honda vehicle and wheel theft in my area, and this car will be street parked.

I did drive this back-to-back with the Fiesta ST. It was a hard choice. The Fiesta was a better driver's car and a better handling car for sure. But it was also very small (I couldn't fit in the back seat, period) and I couldn't find the right one anywhere nearby. I also think the Focus ST is a better looking car. I was definitely swayed by the power and goofy induction noise on the Focus. Hopefully it will be trouble free for several years.

I absolutely love the Kona blue, especially in bright light. These overcast photos don't do it justice.

The car will be my year-round daily driver while I fix my ever-broken tuned V70R. I also recently sold my 986, so the ST has some pretty big shoes to fill. So far, so good.

The R:

986 right before I sold it:

congrats and welcome to the club. only owned my 2014 ST1 for 2 months now and every day I get in it, my soul smiles a little bigger. It's still a bit of an adjustment for me though with only owning non-turbo 4cyl my whole life, never more than 5 gears, and easily achieving 30mpg in the city isn't quite the case with the ST. I've never owned a car with so much torque steer that staying in your own lane at full throttle be an issue, staying under 70mph in 3rd gear can be challenging, and the fact that I rarely even use 4th and 5th gear around town I go straight from 3rd to 6th. It doesn't help that I only drive 7 miles each day, so by the time the engine is warm enough to get on it, I'm already at my destination...
sorry for the rant and enjoy your new toy!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts