Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Nice kill. I wish I could throw the beat down on some 5.0s. I guess I'm just a BT away from being able to do so, lol.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol same here. I can only beat up on MK6 GTIs and Civic Si

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
lol same here. I can only beat up on MK6 GTIs and Civic Si
Even stage 1 I like doing that to the high school kids around my area in these cars. Such a satisfying feeling removing some air from their head when they are with their buddies.

Back to the main topic, this video is so nice to watch. Gotta love hot hatches!

·
Registered
158 Posts
And here come all the VW GTI people on the forum talking smack. I ran my "stage 3" St against a friends stock 2014 and he beat me by half a car. I'm pretty happy with that for now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
And here come all the VW GTI people on the forum talking smack. I ran my "stage 3" St against a friends stock 2014 and he beat me by half a car. I'm pretty happy with that for now.
You lost to a Stock MK7 in a bolted ST? Sorry, but you need some driving lessons if thats the case

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
All? I'm just one guy!!!

I'm not talking smack, just having fun amongst fellow hatchback drivers. I think my post history shows I'm clearly on here because it's a similar car, and I love hot hatches in general. Take it as you like though :)

OP, nice run btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
All? I'm just one guy!!!

I'm not talking smack, just having fun amongst fellow hatchback drivers. I think my post history shows I'm clearly on here because it's a similar car, and I love hot hatches in general. Take it as you like though :)

OP, nice run btw.

Oh I wasn't directing it towards you per se. There will be another guy pop up here anytime, I forgot his user name. All he does in post in every thread about a GTI about how they are so much more superior than the ST. Both are great cars. :banana:

·
Registered
11 Posts
2014 Mustang GT.
What're trap speeds these days for a stage 3? Stage 3 on a MK6 GTI is a turbo swap beyond K04 so it's a full blown big turbo setup. I remember stage 3 for the ST being along the lines of FBO and a custom tune.. running anywhere with a well set up stage 2 MK6 or better.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Nice kill. Wish I could get some mustangs to play.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Oh I wasn't directing it towards you per se. There will be another guy pop up here anytime, I forgot his user name. All he does in post in every thread about a GTI about how they are so much more superior than the ST. Both are great cars. :banana:
Okay guy that I don't know. Couple things:

A. You can criticize things and talk about benefits of one vs. the other without hating one... Life is not so black and white. When you expand your view a bit, it's easy to see that benefits of straight-line speed and tuning potential don't always make one car better than another. See the threads of the people that pin the ST vs. the GTI. I usually tell people it's too lateral of a move for me to recommend. Both are great cars.

B. I'm trading the GTI in for a Fiesta ST in a couple weeks so if you intend on playing the "fanboy" card you can sit down now.

C. There is only a couple "VS. the competition" sections left on any forum. The cars are very similar and I've been nothing but respectful. If you have a problem with that take it up with the moderators.

What're trap speeds these days for a stage 3? Stage 3 on a MK6 GTI is a turbo swap beyond K04 so it's a full blown big turbo setup. I remember stage 3 for the ST being along the lines of FBO and a custom tune.. running anywhere with a well set up stage 2 MK6 or better.
So Stage 3 ST can be either OTS Cobb or Pro-tuned. It consists of a Intake, Exhaust, and Intercooler. I hate how the industry has moved to "stages" because in the MK6 world Stage 3 is BT, Stage 3 with a tuner like Revo is K04 etc. It's all different. Judging on past results an OTS Stage 3 ST is about even with a Stage 2 GTI. When you add a Pro-tune and E30 a Stage 3 ST is above a Stage 2 GTI and below a K04 GTI.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay guy that I don't know. Couple things:

A. You can criticize things and talk about benefits of one vs. the other without hating one... Life is not so black and white. When you expand your view a bit, it's easy to see that benefits of straight-line speed and tuning potential don't always make one car better than another. See the threads of the people that pin the ST vs. the GTI. I usually tell people it's too lateral of a move for me to recommend. Both are great cars.

B. I'm trading the GTI in for a Fiesta ST in a couple weeks so if you intend on playing the "fanboy" card you can sit down now.

C. There is only a couple "VS. the competition" sections left on any forum. The cars are very similar and I've been nothing but respectful. If you have a problem with that take it up with the moderators.

So Stage 3 ST can be either OTS Cobb or Pro-tuned. It consists of a Intake, Exhaust, and Intercooler. I hate how the industry has moved to "stages" because in the MK6 world Stage 3 is BT, Stage 3 with a tuner like Revo is K04 etc. It's all different. Judging on past results an OTS Stage 3 ST is about even with a Stage 2 GTI. When you add a Pro-tune and E30 a Stage 3 ST is above a Stage 2 GTI and below a K04 GTI.

You're trading in the GTI? :-( Why so soon?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You're trading in the GTI? :-( Why so soon?
So short answer:

-I've decided to go back to school and I need more capital now, instead of taking out more student loans at my current rate (7-8%!!). So it doesn't make sense to have a brand new car sitting around payed off, when I can buy a used Fiesta for ~15-16K and finance it for a lower rate ~3% and pocket the rest of the money to pay for school short-term.

Long answer:

In addition to the financial benefits here's a couple things that I find personally wrong (Some of them are my fault).

-In my haste of finally being able to afford to buy a car new for the first time in my life I opted for a Base model when I should have waited to find a LP and PP car. The lighting package really makes the car look expensive; really Audi-like. The Halogens looks pretty cheap. There is a quick fix for that with Golf R Rep lights, but that is $. The PP is such a good upgrade especially for a car that will see track time (Mine), it's too good to pass up. More on this below.

-They do not make any track pads yet for non-PP cars. This is fine for DD's, but when you are doing a decent pace having a true track pad that you swap out every track day is ubiquitous.

-Up until a week ago we couldn't turn off ECS/Torque Limiter for good (But that has since been fixed and it is now fully defeatable) so disregard this point. It did factor into my decision earlier.

-My commute to work is 15 minutes, on regular city roads 45 MPH limit. When I bought the GTI I was working at Chrysler and doing a LOT of long highway driving. For such a short drive I can handle not being in a nice car. In addition, the GTI gives me a touring car feel that needs to get up to pace to be really fun, where as the Fiesta ST can do it at super low speeds.

-The gearing in the manual is WAY too long in my opinion. It's geared more like a corvette than a hot hatch. Second gear hits ~73 MPH. For some this is a HUGE advantage as it's what you want to go fast in a straight line; it also helps a TON with minimizing wheel spin. (A Stock Fiesta ST spins more than my JB1 + Turboback on E25 GTI). Where it falls short is AutoX (Which is built for around 60 MPH 2nd gearing) and feel. Long gears give you less mechanical HP. The car doesn't feel "peppy" off boost, it really feels like I'm lugging the car around. In addition, the in-gear acceleration feels like less on it's butt dyno, but yet it is fast as hell in reality (But it doesn't feel so).

-The last is personal but I've written a bunch of DIY's, and most of the sticky's on the MK7 forums. I've been in the VW community for so long that everything feels stale. Life's too short to not experience every different type or car and car scene so I'm just looking for a change of pace.

So that's the long version, most of those are fixable with just waiting for a PP car. The car is brilliant in logical terms. The issue is I'm just not getting the "feels" from this car that I do my Miata or my MK5 GTI. So I'm moving for 100% subjective (and probably stupid reasons). Mods feel free to move or delete if this is out of place, the thread basically died out on the original topic anyways.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Haha, nice roll race. Can't beat em straight up huh? #5.0ForLyfe

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
That has to be THE quietest 5.0 I've ever heard- guarantee it was stock.

What exhaust do you have btw?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice kill! Still waiting myself for a 5.0 to play with...or the new SS...especially now that I'm tuned for the WMI.

The one video I have being chased by a 2016 or 17 SS you can see where he starts to gain on me a little bit. That was just before the WMI was added to the tune from Stratified.

Better yet, here ya go.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So short answer:

-I've decided to go back to school and I need more capital now, instead of taking out more student loans at my current rate (7-8%!!). So it doesn't make sense to have a brand new car sitting around payed off, when I can buy a used Fiesta for ~15-16K and finance it for a lower rate ~3% and pocket the rest of the money to pay for school short-term.

Long answer:

In addition to the financial benefits here's a couple things that I find personally wrong (Some of them are my fault).

-In my haste of finally being able to afford to buy a car new for the first time in my life I opted for a Base model when I should have waited to find a LP and PP car. The lighting package really makes the car look expensive; Audi-like. The Halogens looks pretty cheap. There is a quick fix for that with Golf R Rep lights, but that is $. The PP is such a good upgrade especially for a car that will see track time (Mine), it's too good to pass up. More on this below.

-They do not make any track pads yet for non-PP cars. This is fine for DD's, but when you are doing a decent pace having a true track pad that you swap out every track day is ubiquitous.

-Up until a week ago we couldn't turn off ECS/Torque Limiter for good (But that has since been fixed and it is now fully defeatable) so disregard this point. It did factor into my decision earlier.

-My commute to work is 15 minutes, on regular city roads 45 MPH limit. When I bought the GTI I was working at Chrysler and doing a LOT of long highway driving. For such a short drive I can handle not being in a nice car. In addition, the GTI gives me a touring car feel that needs to get up to pace to be really fun, where as the Fiesta ST can do it at super low speeds.

-The gearing in the manual is WAY too long in my opinion. It's geared more like a corvette than a hot hatch. Second gear hits ~73 MPH. For some this is a HUGE advantage as it's what you want to go fast in a straight line; it also helps a TON with minimizing wheel spin. (A Stock Fiesta ST spins more than my JB1 + Turboback on E25 GTI). Where it falls short is AutoX (Which is built for around 60 MPH 2nd gearing) and feel. Long gears give you less mechanical HP. The car doesn't feel "peppy" off boost, it really feels like I'm lugging the car around. In addition, the in-gear acceleration feels like less on it's butt dyno, but yet it is fast as hell in reality (But it doesn't feel so).

-The last is personal but I've written a bunch of DIY's, and most of the sticky's on the MK7 forums. I've been in the VW community for so long that everything feels stale. Life's too short to not experience every different type or car and car scene so I'm just looking for a change of pace.

So that's the long version, most of those are fixable with just waiting for a PP car. The car is brilliant in logical terms. The issue is I'm just not getting the "feels" from this car that I do my Miata or my MK5 GTI. So I'm moving for 100% subjective (and probably stupid reasons). Mods feel free to move or delete if this is out of place, the thread basically died out on the original topic anyways.
I feel you.. I was dead at on the gti for logical reasons .. But my heart wants what it wants, and it wanted the ST.
Yeah, I think of the gti PP LP... But I have no remorse...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts