Ford Focus ST Forum banner

301 - 320 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #301 (Edited)
Well after close to 4 weeks passing by, my stupid IC finally showed up at my door step. If you wanna know the back story message me offline, it was such a pain in the ass that probably wouldn't have been resolved had I not said anything.

What a pain in the ass just to be class legal but still worth not having the high charge air temps that I use to have, especially once the warmer weather hits. The IC was super easy to install, even with the AGS in place.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you have to enlarge the holes at the top of the front struts in order to get your camber to around -3? Some have had clearance issues with the adjustment knob and getting additional camber. Didnt see any reference to it in earlier post. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Did you have to enlarge the holes at the top of the front struts in order to get your camber to around -3? Some have had clearance issues with the adjustment knob and getting additional camber. Didnt see any reference to it in earlier post. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did however I didnt document it in the thread as it was one of those "well the suspension is out for the how many eth time, might as well slot the tower." That's what got me -3.1 up front

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had some time this weekend to really look through the rulebook and check on some thing before I did them myself and noticed in section 14.8C that modification on the center clearance hole is not allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #305 (Edited)
Had some time this weekend to really look through the rulebook and check on some thing before I did them myself and noticed in section 14.8C that modification on the center clearance hole is not allowed.

Correct, center hole cannot be modified which I left alone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I guess I’m scratching my head on how you got -3. If you ever have a chance would you mind posting I pic of the setup. Unless you don’t wanna give away trade secrets lol.

Edit: I know you can enlarge the bolt holes legally but wouldn’t the camber plates not necessitate the need for enlarging those.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #307 (Edited)
I guess I’m scratching my head on how you got -3. If you ever have a chance would you mind posting I pic of the setup. Unless you don’t wanna give away trade secrets lol.

Edit: I know you can enlarge the bolt holes legally but wouldn’t the camber plates not necessitate the need for enlarging those.

Correct, with camber plates you dont necessarily have to slot. For my application, with the camber plates maxed out, I was able to get -2.9 to -3.0 alone. Then tower mounting holes were slotted about 1/2 a millimeter or so. To get them even on both sides without hitting the subframe had to be loosened and shifted which (it pays to have an alignment guy familiar with the FoST and autox).

I wouldnt call it a trade secret, I just tried to follow Jon Lugods old setup, except I didnt go as far as he did because he ended up with even more negative camber and some caster as well.

FYI, it's very close to rubbing on the damper adjustment so you have to take that into consideration when attempting this and may vary depending on what damper/camber plates you use. I've seen some get more camber than me without slotting, and I've seen some get less with camber plates fully maxed out

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Update: So my last auto x event was at the Pro Solo in Fontana CA. There I was able to test out the new IC in a more harsher condition than a normal autox. You get a total of 12 runs over the course of the whole weekend, but the runs are done back to back. Once your run is done, you go immediately to the other lane for your next run. No time to spray your intercooler, and barely enough time to check tire pressures (only if you have someone doing it for you).

The format gets you 2 runs in the left lane and 2 runs in the right during each heat and the best times from each lane are taken for your aggregate score. The ambient temps during the morning heat were in the 60s and the charge temps never went past 7 degrees above (which was great and not surprising since it was cooler out).

In the afternoon heat, the ambient temps were in the mid 80s and the charge temps from the back to back runs never exceeded 12 degrees above reference. Overall I am pleased with the Vortech unit despite its size in comparison to the other units available.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Decided to give the Nexen's another go this weekend to try and get a better assessment:

I found a happy medium at 42 psi in the front and 32 psi rear (hot). The tires have excellent grip and great steering input, and can handle being over driven (or driven sloppy in my case) with some reward, where the Bridgestones take a bit more precise inputs, but too much would bite you in the ass.

They are slower however, but not as bad as my initial outing with them. I was able to compare to another local STH hot shoe in a 15 WRX on RE71R's and there was only 5 tenths difference between the two. So would I buy them again? Possibly, but not in the 255/35/18 inch variety.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Decided to give the Nexen's another go this weekend to try and get a better assessment:

I found a happy medium at 42 psi in the front and 32 psi rear (hot). The tires have excellent grip and great steering input, and can handle being over driven (or driven sloppy in my case) with some reward, where the Bridgestones take a bit more precise inputs, but too much would bite you in the ass.

They are slower however, but not as bad as my initial outing with them. I was able to compare to another local STH hot shoe in a 15 WRX on RE71R's and there was only 5 tenths difference between the two. So would I buy them again? Possibly, but not in the 255/35/18 inch variety.
I might have missed something not sure, but why not in 255/35/18?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #311

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Ouch yes that is haha...17s in most tired are a lot cheaper
Yup. Luckily I have both sizes that I can swap between. For now, I'm probably gonna run the Nexen's locally and the RE71R's at national events

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #314 (Edited)
RE's are wearing pretty well considering I drove to and from Fontana on them, although they may not last after the Match Tour in San Diego as the surface there is even crappier than Auto Club Speedway's.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Judging by the OPR buildup, I'm guessing that's a rear tire?

Edit: I wouldn't have thought SD surface would be crappy, but then the only time I drove there was in '94, back when it was still Jack Murphy Stadium. 25 years can take a toll on the pavement!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Judging by the OPR buildup, I'm guessing that's a rear tire?

Edit: I wouldn't have thought SD surface would be crappy, but then the only time I drove there was in '94, back when it was still Jack Murphy Stadium. 25 years can take a toll on the pavement!
Correct sir. Front tire wasnt too far off from the rear and still picked up its fair share of OPR, more so on the inside edges, but tire wear was pretty similar. The Q, Jack Murphy, SDCCU, or whatever it is now has gone downhill since the 90s. The West lot (the lot Im sure you are familiar with that has all the off camber and elevation changes), is terrible. It has been patched up in some spots, but overall still crappy. Unfortunately on a national scale, California's best venue is Crows Landing. I wish the SCCA would move some of the national events slightly east towards Vegas, or even here in AZ the surfaces here are pretty decent and large enough to have a good tour event.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I wish the SCCA would move some of the national events slightly east towards Vegas, or even here in AZ the surfaces here are pretty decent and large enough to have a good tour event.
Vegas vicinity would be good, but it takes the local region to make it happen with National's backing. There used to be Wendover (east of Salt Lake City) concrete available, but the airport put that out of reach many years ago. And Pikes Peak Raceway or the old Stapleton Airport site in Denver, but Colorado & Continental Divide Regions don't seem to be bidding for major events these days (turnout might be too low?), though they do have what seems like a competitive regional series.

Here in the Pacific NW, Packwood is inconveniently located for everyone, but it's the only site suitable for a Pro. If Packwood disappears, Bremerton Raceway will likely be the fallback site even though it has degraded in the 15-16 years since NTs were held there. I liked Mather AFB (asphalt parking lot) in Sacramento and Mountain Home AFB (concrete taxi/runway) in Mountain Home, ID, but AFAIK, they have only been used for NORPAC divisionals and active military bases have restrictions which may or may not work for SCCA.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
So the SD Match Tour was a success again, surface is still very bumpy, but the grip was good. The course was very fast (as expected for an event held on the infamous west lot) and had great flow. The battle was pretty close, but in the end I was able to prevail by putting down some flyers to give me the overall win by 2.6 seconds over 2nd place.

and the 1st Place in STH (will be receiving placard in the mail)

Morning fast run

Afternoon fast run

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #319 (Edited)
Since the car has been parking lot/skid pad hooned for all of its life since new, I figured I would check out the compression just to see how things are holding up thus far:

at 39.5 k ended up with:

Cylinder 1: 155
Cylinder 2: 155
Cylinder 3: 160
Cylinder 4: 160

I tested all four cylinders 3 times to see if there were any variances in testing, and each time the numbers came out the same. I'm pretty happy how well the motor is holding up so far considering what the car is mainly used for. It feels very strong with @tmcphail 's tune, and hopefully it will continue to serve me well.

301 - 320 of 336 Posts