Ford Focus ST Forum banner

281 - 300 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
how much were they and where'd you get em
I think I paid like 450 shipped for them a few years ago on ebay. I just typed in 18x8.5 5x108 in the search and they popped up.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Which major events are you attending this year? I'll only be going to the Packwood Tour & maybe Packwood Pro Solo since I'm concentrating on taking 2 local championships, so the other west coast major events are conflicting. And I'll admit I'm trying to keep travel miles down...

·
Registered
646 Posts
how much were they and where'd you get em
Found one site listing a set of 4 for $370 in 17x8.5" before shipping. First listing when googling "Katana KR20 5x108". Can't find any weight listed for 'em, so I'd guess they're on the heavy side. Factory finish is silver or black w/bronze face.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Which major events are you attending this year? I'll only be going to the Packwood Tour & maybe Packwood Pro Solo since I'm concentrating on taking 2 local championships, so the other west coast major events are conflicting. And I'll admit I'm trying to keep travel miles down...
Just the Pro Solo in Fontana, and the Match Tour in San Diego for me. With everything going on at work and with family, those two events are the only Nats events I will be able to attend.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
As much as I liked white, I couldn't deal with how dirty they got so quickly (especially since these were my daily driving wheels). So I had them powder coated.

when I first got them:

after powder coating (yes I like the mag blue color as I've had this color on a few different cars in the past):

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Ive looked at the R sport from research, and the 8 inch height will interfere with the AGS fitting between the crash bar and the intercooler. The AGS just rests on top of the stock IC and the crash bar and some tabs on the the front end help hold it in place for the most part. Biggest piece of useless junk in the world.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Well I took the plunge and ordered the Vortech IC from CJ Pony Parts. With the 10% discount and rewards points, I was able to get it for 799 shipped. Should be here in the next few days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I took the plunge and ordered the Vortech IC from CJ Pony Parts. With the 10% discount and rewards points, I was able to get it for 799 shipped. Should be here in the next few days.
Not sure if you have a way to check but would be interested in charge temps with this intercooler during runs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #291 (Edited)
Not sure if you have a way to check but would be interested in charge temps with this intercooler during runs.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Better than stock thats for sure. Im currently running the FoRS stock IC which is very similar in size with the Vortech ,with a hacked up AGS for local events and the charge air temps do not go past 15 degrees above ambient. While the stock was well above 30-40 with timing being pulled.I haven't posted anything about the FoRS IC because I wanted to test it before putting out any info. It can work with the AGS, however, you have to hack the sh*t out of it to work, which is not completely in the spirit of street touring. Luckily i have another virgin AGS to throw back in with the vortech unit.

Pic of the OEM FoRS IC mounted with the hacked up AGS

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
While the FRPP cal was decent for essentially a stage 1 modded car (initially I thought I wouldn't go past an intake and cat back exhaust with regards to bolt-on "power" wise mods), I felt that it was time to go with something a little better.

@unleashedtuning @tmcphail has been awesome during the entire process, and one the fastest, if not the fastest to respond with regards to customer service and tune turnaround time. The car feels even better now than it did with the FRPP tune. Again, the FRPP is great for what it is, and maybe between a combination of my driver mod, it served me well for the little mods that I had done. Once I added the DP and IC, the car still felt good, but almost lacking. With Torrie's tune, it feels like the car has woken up yet again. I can't wait to test it out this weekend, which will be my warm up event, less than a month before the Pro Solo in Fontana.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #293 (Edited)
On another note, dealing with @cjponyparts has been like pulling teeth trying to get updates on my Vortech IC.

Part was ordered on Feb 21 2019. Thought it would show up in a few days seeing as I contacted Vortech before hand and verified stock status. CJPP tells me 1-3 weeks as it is shipping from manufacturer.

Fast forward to today. Still get the same answer from CJPP even when I ask for an ETA. I'm still wondering is it so hard to call Vortech and ask then let your customer know and better yet, how does it take 1-3 weeks for something to ship when it's in stock?

I'm pretty disappointed with their customer service and probably wont ever buy anything from them again.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
You have my sympathies. Drop-shipping sucks.
Right now it does. I've had tons of things drop shipped before from other vendors but what bothers me is the lack of customer service the company or the employees seem to have. Their system is kind of weird too since I got an email from them the same day the part was ordered stating that it was shipped.

My account on their website also says the IC is "shipped" but no tracking info. When I asked why, they told me that it is how they say a transaction is closed out. I asked how is a transaction closed out when you actually haven't completed the transaction by shipping the item? No response of course.

Thursday will put me at 3 weeks, so if I get no resolution, I will probably request my money back and go directly through Vortech (although might cost more)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sucks to hear about the Vortech! Hope it gets there soon. Curious as too much you were able to source the RS IC for? Would you say the slight mods needed to make it fit are worth it or just better to get like a Depo IC. I plan on only mild performance mods in the future and Retaining AGS isn’t a concern for me

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Sucks to hear about the Vortech! Hope it gets there soon. Curious as too much you were able to source the RS IC for? Would you say the slight mods needed to make it fit are worth it or just better to get like a Depo IC. I plan on only mild performance mods in the future and Retaining AGS isn’t a concern for me
Haha the Vortech is a fiasco that I will update on here shortly and yes it is finally on its way (mainly thanks to me and Vortech themselves).

The RS IC i sourced for super dirt cheap which is why I decided to give it a shot. Without using the AGS, it is easy as all hell. Just some brackets and bolts and your good to go. Charge air temps are nice compared to stock, and if you can get one cheap, its worth doing. I wouldnt pay more than 100 bucks for one if you are thinking about going that route.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Update on the Nexen Nfera SUR4-G's. They are definitely off pace compared to the RE71R's. Still the top STH car in the region, but 1 second off from a good friend of mine in his STU prepped 350z was a bit disappointing for me when I'm usually 1/2 to a full second faster than him.

Verdict: its a good tire, heats up very quickly, decent grip, and better wear characteristics compared to the RE71R, however it is slower than the RE71R, and the sidewalls are softer meaning even with -3.1 degrees of camber, I still had to run some balloon tire pressures to keep the shoulders from rolling. I will probably bring both the RE71R's and the Nexen's to the Pro Solo next month just in case I decide that tenths or hundreds of a second mean more than contingency money...lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
the sidewalls are softer meaning even with -3.1 degrees of camber, I still had to run some balloon tire pressures to keep the shoulders from rolling.
Dang, that's what I was afraid of when I saw the load rating on the tires. Probably not a useful tire for Street category fwd cars. Dunlop Direzzas are similarly load rated, so I guess I'll look elsewhere for a cool/cold weather tire.

This upcoming weekend, I've got a practice autocross. I've added rear toe-in and will just spend the day taking tire temps to see if the rear RE71Rs come up to temp quicker with the toe-in.

I heard a fair amount of wheelspin in your video... when ya gonna get that LSD? ;-)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Dang, that's what I was afraid of when I saw the load rating on the tires. Probably not a useful tire for Street category fwd cars. Dunlop Direzzas are similarly load rated, so I guess I'll look elsewhere for a cool/cold weather tire.

This upcoming weekend, I've got a practice autocross. I've added rear toe-in and will just spend the day taking tire temps to see if the rear RE71Rs come up to temp quicker with the toe-in.

I heard a fair amount of wheelspin in your video... when ya gonna get that LSD? ;-)
Haha that's the last mod left for me. Not sure when it will happen, but it will. The lack of an LSD is definitely hurting me these days.

281 - 300 of 336 Posts