Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

So when I installed my IC when I lived in MI I also removed the front lower grille to expose the FMIC. I've since moved to Arizona AKA rock city. I'd like to protect that IC but like a dumbass I cut and smoothed the mounting points for the grille. It looks clean, but can't add the stock grille back.

I need help on how to mount the grille mesh (doesn't matter which kind, i'll just get what I like from ebay and cut to size). Has anyone done this yet? I have NO idea how i'm going to mount this to the back of the bumper.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would recommend cutting the mesh to the shape of the lower grill opening, oversized by about an inch. Then lay that against the back of the opening and fold the overlap over until it lays flat against the inside of the bumper where you can't see it. Then get an industrial glue gun (not the baby craft glue gun, but some real high-temp stuff) and put down a bead along the lip. That should keep it in place pretty well and won't show any fasteners.

Alternatively you could look at using a hot-air welder and some plastic welding rods to weld a plastic bead along the inside of the fascia. Just have to be very careful not to put too much heat into it and degrade the paint.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would recommend cutting the mesh to the shape of the lower grill opening, oversized by about an inch. Then lay that against the back of the opening and fold the overlap over until it lays flat against the inside of the bumper where you can't see it. Then get an industrial glue gun (not the baby craft glue gun, but some real high-temp stuff) and put down a bead along the lip. That should keep it in place pretty well and won't show any fasteners.

Alternatively you could look at using a hot-air welder and some plastic welding rods to weld a plastic bead along the inside of the fascia. Just have to be very careful not to put too much heat into it and degrade the paint.
Thanks! I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Reactions: Mark66

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you haven't found a great way to do it there is always the zunsport lower grill! Look up the mk3.5 lower grill and have at it! Totally worth it!

·
Registered
2015 focus ST3. Cobb intake, Cobb ap, AXE CS-LITE 18R.
27 Posts
Figured I'd add what I'm planning. I'm goin to be keeping the plastic bars, and incorporating the mesh behind, with the mesh being locked into place at the 4 side points(2 per side) and along the three rear support bars, and lastly I'm going to sure black thin wire to keep it tight. May use fire and a black plastic hanger to plastic weld the bottom and top of the mesh from the back to hold the mesh firm to the bumper. May just do that for the whole plastic bar to mesh, but it depends on how sturdy it feels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts