Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well if it does the same for 15+ as it does for my 13 I'd say do it. My charge temps dropped a good bit after shaving the grill and pulling the ags. Plus if you paint your crash bar unlike the guys in the link it looks super clean. ^_^

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like the look and considered doing it but I drive my car in the winter and worry my car will never reach operating temp.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Looks a lot better if you put some blocking plate over the crash bar. I cut some thin aluminum sheet, painted black plastidip, and attached with double sided badge tape.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well if it does the same for 15+ as it does for my 13 I'd say do it. My charge temps dropped a good bit after shaving the grill and pulling the ags. Plus if you paint your crash bar unlike the guys in the link it looks super clean. ^_^
Paint wont cover up those huge holes. That is what looks bad IMO.

Looks a lot better if you put some blocking plate over the crash bar. I cut some thin aluminum sheet, painted black plastidip, and attached with double sided badge tape.
Do you have a photo of it?

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Any info out there's on this? I know it's a popular mod on the first gen body style but haven't seen much for '15 and later. Found s few pics in this thread.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/veloss...-velossa-tech-big-mouth-picture-thread-9.html

Any thoughts? Must do mod? Pros/cons?
theres a thread about shaving the back of the grill.. plenty of 2015 cars talking about it as well because its MUCH easier on the newer front end.... ive posted quite a few in that thread as well.. Just pull the grill out of the bumper and lay it down and sand off the back side..done

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Paint wont cover up those huge holes. That is what looks bad IMO.

Do you have a photo of it?
no.. but a light bar will

Reactions: Manoah and LeojST

·
Registered
186 Posts
IMG_4949.JPG

On the 15+ when you remove the grill there is a painted piece of plastic that needs to be cut off with a dremel, then just use an angle grinder and flapper wheel. You also have to remove the bumper support and ducting for it to look clean. I painted my crash bar black and you barely notice it is there. I also mounted my hella horns and oil cooler on the crash bar. Take your time and it will be easy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
View attachment 256801

On the 15+ when you remove the grill there is a painted piece of plastic that needs to be cut off with a dremel, then just use an angle grinder and flapper wheel. You also have to remove the bumper support and ducting for it to look clean. I painted my crash bar black and you barely notice it is there. I also mounted my hella horns and oil cooler on the crash bar. Take your time and it will be easy.
Can you post a head on photo? Cant even begin to tell what it looks like at that angle.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I shaved mine, also painted evey thing flat black, you can still see it, but its not as visible.

IMG_3780.JPG
Thomas Focus ST 4.jpg
IMG_1706.JPG

·
Registered
350 Posts
Damn, that front end looks mean. Did you do the headlights yourself?
Yes sir, i have a small at home business retrfitting and stuff like that. i wont do another ford since they are permaseal. but yeah. crap cell phone picture

IMG_1725.JPG

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
80 Posts
Best shot I could get, painting the crash bar makes it invisible, but you cant see mine anyway because horns and oil cooler.
I shaved mine, also painted evey thing flat black, you can still see it, but its not as visible.
Did either of you paint the crash bar with the bumper still on?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Did either of you paint the crash bar with the bumper still on?
I don't see why you would want to do that and risk getting paint on your extremely expensive bumper...plus you can't really mask it all off if you don't take off the bumper. I wouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I like the look and considered doing it but I drive my car in the winter and worry my car will never reach operating temp.
Our engines have a water jacketed exhaust manifold and water cooled turbo; it will reach operating temp. Where I live we get mornings in single digit temps and sometimes negative single digit temps; car warms up in minutes.

Reactions: Rican7 and Joshua

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So what's the best way to go about this? I heard the grille just snaps right out? And then just go to town sanding it down from the back side?

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
So what's the best way to go about this? I heard the grille just snaps right out? And then just go to town sanding it down from the back side?
i believe this was already covered

theres a thread about shaving the back of the grill.. plenty of 2015 cars talking about it as well because its MUCH easier on the newer front end.... ive posted quite a few in that thread as well.. Just pull the grill out of the bumper and lay it down and sand off the back side..done

1 - 20 of 20 Posts