Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have owned my 15 ST3 for 1 year 4 months and a few weeks ago I noticed that the hardware going to the spoiler edges on both the left and right side are rusting and the paint is chipping. I have never touched them so needless to say I am really confused as to how/why they would rust, especially since they are on the inside of the hatch.

Has anyone else had issues with those spots rusting out??

I already talked with my dealer and they said they will take out the hardware, clean out the starting rust and then put in new hardware and paint over all of it with touch-up paint and blend it. So hopefully that fixes it. Rust is like the black plague though, Im hoping it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes pics would be extremely helpful to everybody.

Reactions: hmc2261

·
Registered
406 Posts
Only issue I had was the bolts holding the spoiler on were not even screwed right. 2 of them were rolling around every time I turned.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People asking for pics, I am planning on it when I get out of work in a few hours. Should have made that a note in my original post

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only issue I had was the bolts holding the spoiler on were not even screwed right. 2 of them were rolling around every time I turned.
I had 3 of them completely back out multiple times in a few weeks. One of them stuck to some of the tape in one of the wiring harnesses, so it wasn't actually rolling around. Some blue Loctite has solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: lvrbn94

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had this issue, brought the car to the dealer and they passed it on warranty. Its a 1 day repair.
Yeah, I'm getting these fixed, the headliner rattle, and my front grille all under warranty this Saturday

·
Registered
363 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Get some pictures after the repair.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out on my 2016.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you can find it, ZEP PLS is a good thing to shoot hardware under the hood and anywhere else it may be likely to corrode. When I worked on boats, it's what we used at the marina. Also helps if you need to work on the car down the road and it doesn't hurt rubber parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have owned my 15 ST3 for 1 year 4 months and a few weeks ago I noticed that the hardware going to the spoiler edges on both the left and right side are rusting and the paint is chipping. I have never touched them so needless to say I am really confused as to how/why they would rust, especially since they are on the inside of the hatch.

Has anyone else had issues with those spots rusting out??

I already talked with my dealer and they said they will take out the hardware, clean out the starting rust and then put in new hardware and paint over all of it with touch-up paint and blend it. So hopefully that fixes it. Rust is like the black plague though, Im hoping it doesn't come back.
I have had mine in to the dealer two times and now a third time. I think it's a design defect.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just checked my 15 Race Red, just a little bit of rust around the washers on two of them but I really had to look hard to see it. I don't see it causing any issues long term. It may be an issue if the car sits outside and sees a lot of rain or snow, mine doesn't get driven much in the rain and it is always garaged. But something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
I just checked my 2015 MM, and to my astonishment I have paint missing and some minor corrosion around all four bolts! My car has never been salt or brine because I garage it every winter. I assume the corrosion could be worse if driven in salt/brine.

This looks to me like a simple oversight on the part of manufacturing. It appears that tightening the bolts damages the paint.

Looks like I might have a spring project to touch it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts