Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Local guy with a lightly modded and tuned Si took a trip down to Mexico yesterday to test the waters of his car against a tuned ST. My mods are in my sig and his are:

Intake header test pipe catback
Slightly bigger throttle body
High flow fuel rail
Solid torque mounts
And Tuner (HondTune?)
Shifter bushings
Light weight clutch and flywheel setup.

And a few random coolant hoses deleted or moved to keep intake Temps down

Copy and pasted from a message he sent me ^

We only did 1 roll from 40, both started in 2nd. When we took off we were even 2-3 and at the very last second of 3rd I started getting a little pull on him then 3-4 I was steady starting to Creep ahead. He let off at roughly 110 and I was maybe half a car at best off of him.

I didn't expect it to be that close, but was a really good race.

I shifted 6k and 5700 before anyone asks. No videos taken

Edit: His car weighs 2820 as of yesterday morning when he weighed it..so it's pretty light.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time to get some more mods! He shouldn't be able to keep up with you after you get the FMIC and exhaust.
That's right. Always time for more mods! Haha I hate watching my charge temps spike then never dissipate...that'll be the next mod unless I get a good deal on a DP.

·
Administrator
11,893 Posts
That's right. Always time for more mods! Haha I hate watching my charge temps spike then never dissipate...that'll be the next mod unless I get a good deal on a DP.
You have plenty of growing room.

Fmic, DP, and a full tune will have your car finally feel fast.

I cannot stress a full tune enough. Its night and day, and turns the car into the beast you hope it would be.

Good luck sir.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Agree...shouldn't have even been close.
My 2007 GTI beat every Si way back when just 225 whp (just a tune and intake).
Now with where it's at (305 whp)...I don't even bother with Si's.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But when it weighs below 2800 lbs (he reweighed it last night) and has the few things done to it that it does...it's not necessarily slow. I'll get him by a lot more come time for next warm season ��

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put corn if you can. Really helps with consistent power that the turbo doesn't supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closest place is about 20 miles...not practical unless I plan way ahead. Also, I'm tuned on 93 and would have to purchase another tune slot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Closest place is about 20 miles...not practical unless I plan way ahead. Also, I'm tuned on 93 and would have to purchase another tune slot.
I get you. There's more stations coming out so it should be a lot easier in a year or so. Chevron just opened up a bunch of their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
the only redeeming quality is hondata tuned SI's were nice to rev out to like 8500rpm, basically they make the base shifts feel like they have the advantage because the person your racing already had to shift, and about to shift again by the time the Si needs to gear in. They had terrible ass torque though, races from a dig would end with you 4 bus lengths ahead. Parts of me miss the high revs and intake noise that car made (I had an 8th gen FG2) but in the end the ST is so noticeably more enjoyable to drive.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the only redeeming quality is hondata tuned SI's were nice to rev out to like 8500rpm, basically they make the base shifts feel like they have the advantage because the person your racing already had to shift, and about to shift again by the time the Si needs to gear in. They had terrible ass torque though, races from a dig would end with you 4 bus lengths ahead. Parts of me miss the high revs and intake noise that car made (I had an 8th gen FG2) but in the end the ST is so noticeably more enjoyable to drive.
Yeah emphasis on the 40mph roll. The stock F1 summer tires, my launch control vs his launch control, and the torque numbers we put down in 1-3, I'm sure I'd take his lunch money in a dig.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Yeah emphasis on the 40mph roll. The stock F1 summer tires, my launch control vs his launch control, and the torque numbers we put down in 1-3, I'm sure I'd take his lunch money in a dig.
absolutely .... when I had my Si, digs were the one time I kept telling myself, stop spending money on this thing, sell it, get something faster and more enjoyable ...... some how I ended up in a 3 series because AWD lol... and now here I am with the ST.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
absolutely .... when I had my Si, digs were the one time I kept telling myself, stop spending money on this thing, sell it, get something faster and more enjoyable ...... some how I ended up in a 3 series because AWD lol... and now here I am with the ST.
Love my ST, but AWD is a whole new world. Especially when you live in Pennsylvania like us. In the city (of champions) you probably don't have as many issues, but out here in the boondocks I'd love an AWD car.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Love my ST, but AWD is a whole new world. Especially when you live in Pennsylvania like us. In the city (of champions) you probably don't have as many issues, but out here in the boondocks I'd love an AWD car.
pittsburgh is ... one giant hill ... doesnt matter where you are, the road is never flat. This made AWD a freaking dream to have, and I am considering going back to it after the ST is paid off in 4ish years. My Audi I had before the Si is the only car I legit miss... was fast enough, toque to wazoo, and the AWD was one of the best I ever used. Nothing like dredging through 6+" of snow and waving to the jeeps and soccor mom SUV's that are stuck on the side of the road.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pittsburgh is ... one giant hill ... doesnt matter where you are, the road is never flat. This made AWD a freaking dream to have, and I am considering going back to it after the ST is paid off in 4ish years. My Audi I had before the Si is the only car I legit miss... was fast enough, toque to wazoo, and the AWD was one of the best I ever used. Nothing like dredging through 6+" of snow and waving to the jeeps and soccor mom SUV's that are stuck on the side of the road.
I love Pittsburgh, but would probably never venture there in the winter. It's tricky enough navigating around the very intricate system of roads...cold and snow just make it worse haha.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I love Pittsburgh, but would probably never venture there in the winter. It's tricky enough navigating around the very intricate system of roads...cold and snow just make it worse haha.
your not lying haha.. 4 lane changes in 500ft, with 800 cars, good luck! ... I made it about 2 days into winter with the F1's on, drove to a tire shop and had them swapped out after nearly crashing 3 times in 1/8" of snow lol

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
your not lying haha.. 4 lane changes in 500ft, with 800 cars, good luck! ... I made it about 2 days into winter with the F1's on, drove to a tire shop and had them swapped out after nearly crashing 3 times in 1/8" of snow lol
It gets sub-35 degrees and I chirp them pulling out of the driveway...I won't let them near this winter lol. This weekend my X-Ice's take over

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
It gets sub-35 degrees and I chirp them pulling out of the driveway...I won't let them near this winter lol. This weekend my X-Ice's take over
one of the first winter days I had the ST out (didnt own the car long before winter set it), it was 18*F, and I went to roll down my steep ass driveway, and i locked the wheels up and the car proceeded to hockey-puck slide right down into the lanes of traffic. Luckily no one was coming, but that was the final straw lol. I didn't have the cash directly after buying the car to pick up new wheels and tires, so I have been running the Noble S1 V2's from hancoook since, and have no issues.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Once cobb gets E going for the gti. gunna be a beast. Raced a guy with a mk7 with gof r turbo swap. Barely beat him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts