Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Hoping to get some suggestions on what to do / where to look.

After putting Cobb Stage1 tune my car started doing weird things. Noticed that when I accelerated the gas gauge increased and then slowly went back down. Pressure came out of the gas tank when I opened it. Tried to shut it off - engine kept running for 40sec or so until it grumbled to a halt. Battery voltage would show 10.6 on AP but everything stayed on. I was thinking Turbo Timer but this didn't feel right. Then, randomly the car won't start. No radio, no lights, completely dead. I replaced the battery (twice) and alternator. Had them both diagnosed (a third time) and they came out good. After taking the tune off, I called Cobb and explained the scenario - they said the tune didn't cause these issues and to take it in to Ford. I've brought it to TWO ford dealerships and neither offered me any help. We've reset the ECU (using Ford's tool) but still the same old story. I datalogged today while it wouldn't shut off and called Cobb - the gentleman said it'll probably be a waste of time since they've never seen a tune cause these issues....

Codes that have come on since tune:
U0109
P06B8
P025A
U0422

• Battery terminals are tight
  • Battery and Alternator are confirmed good
  • Replaced Purge Canister Valve
  • Reset ECU
  • Ford Techs can't find issue

I'm ready to take any and all suggestions here.

Thank you in advance

Jimmy

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,863 Posts
So my first series of questions are:
1. Year / Trim level / Current mods?
2. Does the vehicle run normally with the AP unmarried?
3. Have all TSB's been resolved?
4. Have you verified that the AP is at the newest revision?
5. Have you modified the stock configurations in any way with an outside program Forscan / Focuss / IDS?
6. If yes above did you save a backup of the factory configuration before making any changes?

With that being said,
I really like the AP3, which is why I personally run that platform. While I have high praise for the product, I do not have anything positive to say about the OTS tunes provided with it.
I experienced so many issues when I originally installed the AP3. I had purchased my 17 ST1 in December of 2016 and the AP3 in January of 17. After I took possession of my vehicle I discovered that the AP3 was not currently compatible with my model year and was forced to wait for 3.5 more months before I could update the AP and install it.

It was horrible. Temperatures off, stalling, strange electrical issues. I was less than thrilled. I unmarried it and waited another month for yet another update. I immediately went with a reputable tuner and all has been right with the world.

U0109 - Lost communication with fuel pump module.

P06B8 - Inter control module NVRAM (non-volatile random access memory) *severe code

P025A - Fuel pump module control circuit (open) * caused by U0109

U0422 - Invalid data received from BCM (body control module)

The majority of these are communication errors, or "U" codes. Either something is interrupting the CAN BUS network or you have a corrupted PCM.

Go over the first questions and we'll move on from there.

J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply. Answers to your questions below:

2014 Focus ST, ST2. K&N cold air intake, cobb catback exhaust
I unmarried the Access Port but issues continue.
Yes, all TSB's have been resolved
Yes, Version 5.05 Stage 1
5. Have you modified the stock configurations in any way with an outside program Forscan / Focuss / IDS?
Nope
6. If yes above did you save a backup of the factory configuration before making any changes?

If I believe my factory configurations file got corrupt, is there a way to obtain one? Everything ran smoothly before putting this tune on and it's killing me that I can't figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply. Answers to your questions below:

2014 Focus ST, ST2. K&N cold air intake, cobb catback exhaust
I unmarried the Access Port but issues continue.
Yes, all TSB's have been resolved
Yes, Version 5.05 Stage 1
Nope

If I believe my factory configurations file got corrupt, is there a way to obtain one? Everything ran smoothly before putting this tune on and it's killing me that I can't figure it out.
To answer you last question, yes. Flash back to "stage 0" with the Accessport and it will put you back to a clone of the stock map. If that is what you're claiming is corrupt, then you can use the setting within the accessport to restore OTS maps and it'll reset your Stage 0-3 maps back to how they were when you got the device. I'd recommend getting a real tune and not using those absolutely horrendous OTS maps. They're just asking for problems such as the one you are facing.

Have you done the gas tank deformation (BCM flash) recall yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the information. Yeah, I believe a real tune would be the best way to proceed. I did flash back to 'stage 0' and had the gas tank deformation recall performed. If the real tune doesn't resolve these issues then I'm selling this car. Gets frustrating when Ford doesn't have a real answer and Cobb doesn't even want to take a peek at the data logs. Nothing but bad luck when I got this car. Sometimes you get a lemon I guess. Thanks, again.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,863 Posts
I really believe that you are either dealing with a bad battery, an issue with the cabling (corrosion) or poor ground. Has the main ground splice in the primary engine harness been addressed? I would definitely recommend double checking all the ground points. Then inspect wiring for physical damage.

These issues can be difficult to resolve so you will need to get a DMM (digital multimeter) and start checking things over.

J

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Appreciate the information. Yeah, I believe a real tune would be the best way to proceed. I did flash back to 'stage 0' and had the gas tank deformation recall performed. If the real tune doesn't resolve these issues then I'm selling this car. Gets frustrating when Ford doesn't have a real answer and Cobb doesn't even want to take a peek at the data logs. Nothing but bad luck when I got this car. Sometimes you get a lemon I guess. Thanks, again.
You could post data logs here; there are several members that could tell you if everything is looking proper.

Reactions: SSgtjrobertson
1 - 7 of 7 Posts