Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 ST, 93 oct, FRPP, RS ac K&N filter, Forge FMIC, Mountune Recirc, CNT cat, 3" pipe, Steeda RMM
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been forever since I went to the drag strip, but glad I finally did.

14.52 @ 96.89 MPH today it was 90 degrees here in Chicago land.

My best time was my first run, but not due to heat soak, so I can tell my FMIC is working, as I made 4 back to back runs that were for the most part very similar. The best "feeling" run unfortunately didn't record.

I'm not super thrilled with the time, and it's so close to stock I have to wonder if my FRPP recalibration is actually the one my car is currently on. I'll hook up with Ford Performance this week to make sure, maybe recalibrate it. It seems like it should be quicker.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
Remember When you tune, a majority of your gains are midrange. You only see midrange rpms in 1st gear. Power plummets after that initial gain, in the high rpms, where youre spending the entire Rest of the run. Youre also down on power in general due to heat.

Also, you should be shifting around 5500rpm for best Results. What were you shifting at?

Knocking your 60' down to 2.1 or so would have also knocked a few tenths off as well.

Reactions: 20XX

·
Registered
16 ST, 93 oct, FRPP, RS ac K&N filter, Forge FMIC, Mountune Recirc, CNT cat, 3" pipe, Steeda RMM
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remember When you tune, a majority of your gains are midrange. You only see midrange rpms in 1st gear. Power plummets after that initial gain, in the high rpms, where youre spending the entire Rest of the run. Youre also down on power in general due to heat.

Also, you should be shifting around 5500rpm for best Results. What were you shifting at?

Knocking your 60' down to 2.1 or so would have also knocked a few tenths off as well.
Thx for the info. I was shifting at 5000 to 5500 +/-. With the FRPP tune, it turns the shift up arrow for economy, into a shift up arrow at what I assume it's optimal shift points based on either presets from the tune, or maybe it changes based on real time PCM info not sure. It will typically come on at roughly 5500. It seems like other times it may come on a little sooner or a little later. I was just shifting into 5th as I approached the traps.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
Thx for the info. I was shifting at 5000 to 5500 +/-. With the FRPP tune, it turns the shift up arrow for economy, into a shift up arrow at what I assume it's optimal shift points based on either presets from the tune, or maybe it changes based on real time PCM info not sure. It will typically come on at roughly 5500. It seems like other times it may come on a little sooner or a little later. I was just shifting into 5th as I approached the traps.
It may have Also been a little more beneficial to hold it into 4th even if you're Pushing past that ideal 5500rpm. I think going into power loss territory Isnt as bad as wasting time shifting gears. You'll have to experiment With that though.

Dropping your front tire pressure to 20psi and launching soft should Knock your 60' time down. Or just pick up some beat up regular focus wheels to put some slicks on for future visits.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may have Also been a little more beneficial to hold it into 4th even if you're Pushing past that ideal 5500rpm. I think going into power loss territory Isnt as bad as wasting time shifting gears. You'll have to experiment With that though.

Dropping your front tire pressure to 20psi and launching soft should Knock your 60' time down. Or just pick up some beat up regular focus wheels to put some slicks on for future visits.
Agreed. The launch pad is so greasy with rubber and water. They were rushing for the end of the day, so I wasn't even paying attention to launch RPM etc. Sport Mode was on. When I launched I'd be in 1st, get wheel hop then let off enough to get that under control, then lay into the gas again. It would spin the tires through the tail end of first and most of 2nd gear then grab good in 3rd gear. Slicks would certainly help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question for those of you who do any drag racing... I only had the "Sport Mode" on. Would it be beneficial for the drag strip in anyway to hold that button in until it turns off all safety and assisted driving features?

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Question for those of you who do any drag racing... I only had the "Sport Mode" on. Would it be beneficial for the drag strip in anyway to hold that button in until it turns off all safety and assisted driving features?
Absolutely, yes.

I've got Grippy BFGs and when i bang 2nd gear too hard, there is a power cut at times when only in sport mode. It happened stock here and there, but more frequently since my major Horsepower Upgrade. With ESC fully off, it rolls the Tires through 2nd like youd expect and doesn't cut.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely, yes.

I've got Grippy BFGs and when i bang 2nd gear too hard, there is a power cut at times when only in sport mode. It happened stock here and there, but more frequently since my major Horsepower Upgrade. With ESC fully off, it rolls the Tires through 2nd like youd expect and doesn't cut.
Very interesting thanks for sharing that. I tried ESC fully off the other day to see what it was like and I thought it felt different as well, perhaps best way to describe it is more aggressive traction? Wasn't sure if it was my imagination or for real. After that I've just been in Sport Mode. I'll try it full off again to try and figure out what the difference is. I recently swapped out the original RMM for a Steeda as well. I'm still getting used to that. My 16 already had the newer OE RMM so it's not a huge difference but it does shift a little more positively and seems to hook better. Can't stand the shaky chugging taking off from stops and parking, etc. and hope that thing breaks in a little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts