Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve looked over the forum and did a search for any info on installing halos and installing color changing drl’s on a 13 st3 with projectors and havnt found any info on someone doing it.
Has anyone done it or can point me in the right direction? I want to install some but have no idea where to begin, and everyone that does the work wants an outrageous price to do it $650+

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’ve looked over the forum and did a search for any info on installing halos and installing color changing drl’s on a 13 st3 with projectors and havnt found any info on someone doing it.
Has anyone done it or can point me in the right direction? I want to install some but have no idea where to begin, and everyone that does the work wants an outrageous price to do it $650+
That's not outrageous at all. Paid $950 to do mine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Have you done a retrofit of any kind before? The process is the same; open headlights, install your parts, run wiring and reseal. By all accounts, the sealant Ford uses is a PITA to pull apart. Just know the oem cost if you mess up a headlight (used is around $400 a headlight and new is closer to $1k)

Here's a thread that might help you:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not outrageous at all. Paid $950 to do mine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk
Yeah 650 for just the halos, but that’s why I put the +. And it’s outrageous if you can buy the supplies for a couple hundred bucks and do it yourself

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you done a retrofit of any kind before? The process is the same; open headlights, install your parts, run wiring and reseal. By all accounts, the sealant Ford uses is a PITA to pull apart. Just know the oem cost if you mess up a headlight (used is around $400 a headlight and new is closer to $1k)

Here's a thread that might help you:
No I’ve never done it, but I’m used to installing extra lights

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
No I’ve never done it, but I’m used to installing extra lights
Well heating the headlight and separating the parts is the first hard part. Either put the whole headlight in the oven and bake it to warm the glue up enough so you can pull it apart (and not melt anything important) or heat gun and go around the perimeter. I've done the heat gun, i like being able to control the heat. Also, not great having industrial fumes going on in your oven if you use it for normal cooking

Then the other hard part is sealing everything back up properly (nothing worse than fogged up headlight because you didnt do it properly!) Can either reuse the glue by reheating or scrape it out and replace with new. Expect to spend several hours working on each one, the first one will take longer :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well heating the headlight and separating the parts is the first hard part. Either put the whole headlight in the oven and bake it to warm the glue up enough so you can pull it apart (and not melt anything important) or heat gun and go around the perimeter. I've done the heat gun, i like being able to control the heat. Also, not great having industrial fumes going on in your oven if you use it for normal cooking

Then the other hard part is sealing everything back up properly (nothing worse than fogged up headlight because you didnt do it properly!) Can either reuse the glue by reheating or scrape it out and replace with new. Expect to spend several hours working on each one, the first one will take longer :)
I know the part about separating the headlights, my questions are more for which halos and drl’s to get for our cars that fit the stock projectors, and wiring them up

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know the part about separating the headlights, my questions are more for which halos and drl’s to get for our cars that fit the stock projectors, and wiring them up
Halos on the PFl St3 lights look funny to me in my own opinion, also because of the housing you either run a 2.5in halo on the lense(I wouldn’t do this as it’ll effect light output) or you run a 3in where you have to cut the shroud. DRL use a series of Chip on Board led’s morimoto sells these but they are white and white sequential Amber if memory serves right. If you wanted to take it a step further you could get a Ghozt (ghost) controller and neopixle leds. This controller would allow you to run your DRL, halos, Demon eyes, and underglow on the car. It has some inputs so you could wire your turn signals into it and set a series of leds to change colors, run a pattern, etc. it’s also app controlled and configured.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts