Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I have had my car for about a year and have noticed that on the driver side front edge of the hood there is paint bubbling and rust starting to show up. Car has 99k on it, I had the same problem on my 2011 mustang gt so this is pretty annoying. With the mustang Ford fixed it by giving me a new hood since the car was a CPO. is this a common issue and would ford do anything about it or am I going to be left fixing this on my own? 2 cars with the same issue from Ford, really makes me wonder about continuing with this brand because of these issues.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Since you've only had it for about a year, it sounds like you are not the original owner. How certain are you that the hood hasn't been repainted at some point before you bought it?

Reactions: MBFST

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys

I have had my car for about a year and have noticed that on the driver side front edge of the hood there is paint bubbling and rust starting to show up. Car has 99k on it, I had the same problem on my 2011 mustang gt so this is pretty annoying. With the mustang Ford fixed it by giving me a new hood since the car was a CPO. is this a common issue and would ford do anything about it or am I going to be left fixing this on my own? 2 cars with the same issue from Ford, really makes me wonder about continuing with this brand because of these issues.

I am the original owner of my 2013 ST and I've taken care of it and had no damage to the hood outside of regular rock chips which. While detailing this spring I noticed that the entire drivers side edge of the hood is bubbled up. It looks like it is coming from underneath and the underside of the hood looks quite a bit worse. I have 55k miles in Minnesota but take pretty good care of it. I detail and wax twice a year and I didn't notice anything last fall when I waxed before winter. I'm tempted to contact my dealership about it, honestly pretty put off from upgrading to an RS or any other Ford from this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Same year, same problem with the hood. The paint chips very easy also. Considering chucking the entire hood for a true carbon fiber replacement.

You live in or around the salt belt?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same problem with my hood, drivers side underneath. It has finally wrapped around to the outside.

Ford has a 5 year/unlimited mile rust warranty but it has to be 'perforated'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
141 Posts
But my gf's 2012 focus doesn't have a single bubble in it

And I live in Michigan btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Mustang GT that has the same issue and from the Mustang performance shop I bought it from and a body shop I spoke with this is a common problem on the Mustangs. I hadn't heard about it on the Focus. I am told that the hood on the Mustang is made of aluminum and the some type of corrosion starts and causes the paint to bubble. Ford does not cover it. Which I think is BS. Sounds like the Focus may have the same issue. I'll have to keep my eye on my 2015 Focus and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2013, notified just bit shy of 4 yrs of ownership. I had car in for recall and brought it to the attention of service manager. They took photos, send them to Ford. Somewhere between that and today, hood was repaired/repainted at no cost to me. I believe it had more to do with my local dealer than Ford.

It's disappointing that 4 yr old car will have paint bubbling on it. There is a 20yr old car sitting next to it in driveway that shows no such failures. Certainly makes me hesitant to buy another Ford considering all you hear about mustang and its OE orange peel-orrific paint.

I hope your local dealer and/or Ford helps you out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
View attachment 253330

Mostly concentrated on underside as shown, but was quickly coming around edge and onto the top.
I noticed the same thing on my 2013 this spring. Ford corporate nor my dealership will help. In CT, only 40k miles, 5 years old. I take great care of it, constantly washing and waxing, and in the winter it gets washed 2-4 times per month depending on snow and salt on roads.

The underside of the hood has rust along the entire length and is soft in parts and you can push in the metal with your thumb. The top side of the hood is only bubbling on the drivers side.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with that enormous gap between the hood and the bumper?

This is 100% unacceptable and with all the other issues it's had will definitely keep me from buying or allowing someone I know to buy another Ford.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Sorry to hear Ford dropped ball on this one and same for your local dealer. Vote with your wallet, buy something else.

It's too bad Ford abandoned small car market in the US, I couldn't see myself plunking down cash for one of the last RS's only to have value disappear as manufacturer said nope.. we outta here.

Get it fixed, rust is FKN evil! Carbon fiber OE style.. repaint.. done.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My Oxford White has actually lost some paint under the front of the hood. Very disappointed seeing I'm a Ford fan and all.

Tapatalkin on my MOTO Z

1 - 14 of 14 Posts