Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a gallon of the 105 every fill up just to improve the quality of our crappy 91 fuel here in Cali. When I got my tune revision Stratified suggested running a gallon of E85 to improve the fuel quality. We don't have E85 up here but I'm going to where I can get some this weekend. I'll take an empty 5 gal. pale with me.

Race fuel: 12 bucks a gal.

E85: Like &2.40 a gal.

I could save a ton running the E85. Does anybody mix their gas with a E85 blend?

Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
My neighbor runs down to Santa Clarita to get E85 for his hopped up Civic.

Did you check to see if Petrolock sells E85? might be easier for you in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
You?d think California being the hippy state it is would have E-85 all over the place
Don’t they have that soy based “Tofuel”? :crazy:
In all seriousness, I’d love to be able to find 105 octane in the Detroit area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
From everything I?ve seen, E-85 is the superior choice of fuel tune. E-85?s octane rating is already 105 octane fuel. So, you?d get similar numbers in terms of power for far less the cost.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My neighbor runs down to Santa Clarita to get E85 for his hopped up Civic.

Did you check to see if Petrolock sells E85? might be easier for you in the future.
I'll look into that but I was at the warehouse today to get my 105 and I asked if there was any available up here and the guy said no and he only knows of two places and they're both down in San Bernardino :popped out: It would still be cheaper to drive down and get the E85 though. Which is probably what i'll be doing from here on out,

Don’t they have that soy based “Tofuel”? :crazy:
In all seriousness, I’d love to be able to find 105 octane in the Detroit area.
No VP or F&L at any of the suppliers? Google your area.

From everything I?ve seen, E-85 is the superior choice of fuel tune. E-85?s octane rating is already 105 octane fuel. So, you?d get similar numbers in terms of power for far less the cost.
Good to know, i'll grab 5 gals. of E85 this weekend and start using that when the 105 is gone. Thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
E85 is easier to find in Northern California.

Chevron in Sylmar is about 13 mins from here. However I am done with E85 for now, not going to run the stuff to reduce my overall output when my turbo flows WAY more than that.

One more time, do the math -

VP MS109 = $77
Two Injector Port Injection system = $900

You can buy eleven 5 gallon drums of the best unleaded fuel in the world.

Untuned I picked up 12 hp on 250cc of water-methanol. That was distilled water and a few bottles of Yellow Heet. You can pick up about 15 hp tuned on the stock turbo with water-methanol.

With a tune as my only mod, I ran [email protected] mph with 50/50 untuned. It would have ran 100+ if I short shifted 3-4, I learned that later.

C'mon guys this isn't too hard. More octane helps but getting 105 octane to mix with 91? You are better off getting water-methanol if E85 is not close to you.

I have VP 101 now, likely to move up to VP MS109, though I am still investigating VP MS109E but I've heard it requires the same enrichment that E30/E40 does. On a STi with bolt-ons, stock turbo, it made 16 hp more over MS109 with MBTE.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Go install a fuel supplemental system and just use straight E85 like me. Works good, just gets crappy mileage. Our little tiny tank makes it go empty pretty quick, but it makes everything else go quick too (tires, brakes, smiles)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What is wrong with water-methanol injection? Installed correctly it will last as long as you keep the mixture around 50/50. It is on-demand octane boost and cooling, just when you need it. You don't need it at part-throttle, so there's no impact on fuel economy.

It's an easy 12-15 hp because it lacks the overall oxygen levels of E85. DDT is a bit unfair here because he, Black T5 and one other person benefited off Sistomper's work on making a system that was affordable.

You also don't get any benefit from increased boost because the stock turbo is tapped out already. Gaining 70-100 hp just from adding water-methanol to a car over pump gas with a larger turbo makes WMI very cost effective.

DDT how can you suggest something like this? You got the benefit of what Sistomper developed and to my knowledge is not available anymore. I was told to purchase the Radium starter kit for $380. With smallest ID injectors which are 885cc @43.5 psi assuming gasoline is used. Reduced flow capacity by 20% = 708cc. Times 4 that's 2832cc of fuel flow available, complete and utter overkill for the stock turbo.

That's enough fuel for an additional 305hp (705cc x 4) = $480

I got no clarity on the cost of the Split Second controller with the built-in tach adaptor, but I'll guess around $300

Total cost $1160

To take advantage some sort of turbo upgraded is warranted. If you want to stay within the limitations of the stock engine and clutch, GT2860 or GTX2860 is perfect. Water Injection is fine with the stock turbo and much cheaper than a cobbled together ethanol injection system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts