Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't even know where to go or what to ask for service. Direct injection service? Have any of you had your valves cleaned and if so, how much did it cost?

·
Registered
651 Posts
It takes no more than 20 minutes to undo the manifold, never mind the throttle body hose - leave it on and pry the manifold back and you can have a look for yourself.
This. If it has never been done and you aren't running either aux or meth, I can tell you right now it's probably going to look a little scary. If I were you I'd go ahead and get it walnut blasted. If you feel comfortable doing it you can also perform it yourself. See the article below.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/119770-how-walnut-blasting-intake-valves.html

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
I wouldn't even know where to go or what to ask for service. Direct injection service? Have any of you had your valves cleaned and if so, how much did it cost?
If you are comfortable taking off the intake manifold, the valves are very easy to clean. All you need is some rubbing alcohol, a toothbrush and a shop vac. Take off manifold, soak the closed valves with alcohol, let the alcohol work for 15 minutes or so, scrub with the toothbrush and suck out the gunk with the shop vac. Then using the accessory belt hand rotate the engine to close the open valves and clean them. Here is a how to for removing the manifold: Focus ST Intake Manifold Removal How-To | Capital ST Club

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It takes no more than 20 minutes to undo the manifold, never mind the throttle body hose - leave it on and pry the manifold back and you can have a look for yourself.
This. If it has never been done and you aren't running either aux or meth, I can tell you right now it's probably going to look a little scary. If I were you I'd go ahead and get it walnut blasted. If you feel comfortable doing it you can also perform it yourself. See the article below.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/119770-how-walnut-blasting-intake-valves.html

Am I not reading this right or is there no actual how to in that thread? He just lists tools required.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Am I not reading this right or is there no actual how to in that thread? He just lists tools required.
Scroll down farther, it's below the tools list. He has it numbered with pictures. One of the better how-to write ups I've seen on this site actually!

·
Registered
651 Posts
There's definitely instructions, numbered, with photos.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I am of the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.
So I ask the op if he is having performance issues?
Engine running sluggish?
If there are no issues.. I would say doing this procedure has a fair chance of creating some.
I would NEVER have this done unless I had clear issues with carbon buildup on the valves.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Congratulations on hitting 100k btw.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am of the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.
So I ask the op if he is having performance issues?
Engine running sluggish?
If there are no issues.. I would say doing this procedure has a fair chance of creating some.
I would NEVER have this done unless I had clear issues with carbon buildup on the valves.
I have to disagree for the valves particularly. I could agree for 99% of other subjects but all it takes is a chunk of carbon to break off and make its way to the chamber and kaboomskies. We all know DI cars are plagued with a handful of issues directly related to carbon buildup. Unless you have WMI or AUX fuel, carbon buildup needs to be dealt with to combat a real threat(s) that's generated because of the DI.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
228 Posts
Instructions are on the page. PM me with any questions. It shouldn't take all day... Just an afternoon project.
Scroll down farther, it's below the tools list. He has it numbered with pictures. One of the better how-to write ups I've seen on this site actually!
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've heard Ford now has no official method of cleaning the intake valves on DI cars other than removing the head. Does any other manufacturers have a preferred method? Heard they all have some sort of downfall.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've heard Ford now has no official method of cleaning the intake valves on DI cars other than removing the head. Does any other manufacturers have a preferred method? Heard they all have some sort of downfall.
This^^^^^
And why I wrote earlier in this thread.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Just as easy to make real problems trying to fix non existent ones.

·
Registered
130 Posts
To clarify, this happens on most all DI (only) engines. I honestly think it has something to do with having a clutch. On again, off again gas can't be good for them.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
And will walnut blasting clean those valves to look almost new?
Yes. View my how to for pics.

Anyone who has cleaned or witnessed this first hand will tell you, for spraying some glorified seafoam into your intake isn't going to prevent it... Catch cans won't prevent it. Wmi helps a little bit it still shows up. Why?

We don't have a proper EGR. They overlap the valves some during exhaust stroke some of the sooty exhaust gets back into the intake/chamber for reburn. Stratified has an extensive that about this and it's worth reading

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts