Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new ST1 today. They priced me the 100K warranty for $1400. Didn't know if it would be worth it. They said I have 30 days or 5K miles to make up my mind and get it at same price

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Do you like modding your cars? If not, then I'd say not a bad deal, go for it. If you do mod, I'd leave it as you will likely not have things covered under warranty as much.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Do you plan to keep the car to 100K? Powertrain is good to 60k/5yrs IIRC.
Powertrain is a little different than bumper to bumper, but typically bumper to bumper extended is just a way for the dealer to make a little more money, but if you plan on leaving the car alone then it could save you a little money down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I don't "plan" to mod it since I have other toys. And I rarely keep anything more than 2 years. I get bored easy lol. I do put about 30K miles a year on them though

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
. Look at the details, its not worth it, well at least for me it wasnt.

IIRC, they gave me a random example something like, if the flywheel fails its covered. but if its some bearing inside the trans, that would not be covered under extended warranty. Like I said, ask alot of questions then make your deicision.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I got it. at 64k my alternator went bad. 951 dollars for a new ford part, that should last another 64k or more, cost me 100 deductible. the part alone new is 450. so its almost paid for it self.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
What I didn't know is you can shop around for the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and the price is negotiable. $951 to change an alternator? $500 labor? Wow, only at the stealership, or Virginia Tire & Auto. I believe bumper-to-bumper warranty covers work done at a dealership. So that means you have to take your car to a dealership. Which means you have to let dealer techs touch it. But it's not like Ford dealers have bricked BCMs or anything. I think someone negotiated the price down to about $1k but I can't be sure.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I got it. at 64k my alternator went bad. 951 dollars for a new ford part, that should last another 64k or more, cost me 100 deductible. the part alone new is 450. so its almost paid for it self.
a new motorcraft alternator could be found for around $300. Still seems like thats a better deal than the price of the warranty, unless your not mechanically savvy, then I get it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
mechanically savvy??? its three bolts and a connector... I like the peace of mind and 100 is cheaper than 300. and it was thrown in with the purchase at a discount.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
i got the warranty KNOWING i was going to mod the crap out of mine. Our headlights are $2k, im NOT buying any of those...ever.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
i got the warranty KNOWING i was going to mod the crap out of mine. Our headlights are $2k, im NOT buying any of those...ever.
Solid point here...why in the F would anyone fork 2k PER LIGHT lol that's nonsense and Ford and do bad things to themselves and pay for it themselves.

So, if you have 2 notifications Venomous its because my dumbass replied this to the wrong one of your posts and since then deleted it lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts