Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a nearly new (either '15/'16 with 15,000 k) and am ready to start modding.

If you had $1,000 to spend, what would you spend it on?

I'm thinking RMM, filter and Accessport but would love to hear some suggestions.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Aaronc7 do you know somewhere I can get a FMIC installed for a grand?

That'd be great
Yeah, your garage ;) Intercooler is an easy install.

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you are nervous to do an install, watch a ton of videos, read a lot of threads and you will be way more comfortable. Also have a friend help, makes it go by better and always nice to have another set of eyes on a problem. You won't regret it and will feel good about yourself. Also could take your buddy out to dinner and still save money on a pro installation.

·
Registered
371 Posts
on the installs, as long as you have the basic tools it should be no issue. Offer some beer and food to some friends to come over, working with others helps a ton!

1,000 bucks in parts goes fmic, ap, and rmm. You might be able to piece these together new but i recommend getting an ap used for around 400 bucks!

Good luck on the car!

·
Registered
530 Posts
In addition to what everyone else said, a short shift plate and shifter bushings. JBR has these for cheap and good quality. And with the AP, get a Stratified tune with it. It's not much more and is more power than the cobb base map

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
on the installs, as long as you have the basic tools it should be no issue. Offer some beer and food to some friends to come over, working with others helps a ton!

1,000 bucks in parts goes fmic, ap, and rmm. You might be able to piece these together new but i recommend getting an ap used for around 400 bucks!

Good luck on the car!
Agreed with these two. For $1k you won't be getting anything other than the both of these probably. The intercooler is easy to do yourself just get a buddy to help you hold stuff and take your time for a few hours. If you get a NEW Accessport then buy it from a Tuner like Stratified or another one on the forum here and you get a FREE flash tune with the Accessport. The flash tune is way better than the Cobb ones that come with the Accessport are. Even if you purchased new, you could probably get the accessport for 500 and the intercooler for 500 or so depending on brand. Before shipping, that is.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hood vents, wing risers, 17.5 back window stickers and a gold plated shift knob; no one will touch you.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Cobb AP and intercooler. AP (from one of our vendors such as Stratified, Mountune, Deadhook, etc). You get their OTS tunes as well as the Cobb tunes. So there's ~$500 gone. Look for a IC in the for sale section...depo son of a beast (3.5"), Steeda 3.5", of CP-E (3.5") can be tough to find but are widely considered best bang for your buck. Used you're looking at $300ish. So you will probably have ~$150-ish left over. RMM, green filter, shift arm/bracket are good buys in that range...look for used to save a few bucks.

Reactions: screzzy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow, such a great response thanks all.

The tip to go with a Accessport from a tuner like Stratified is a great one. Has anyone ordered one of these and if using 98 unleaded here in Aus would you go for the 93 tune?

Unfortunately I am unable to do that level of work on my car due to the restrictions of my unit blocks parking arrangement, so need to get an FMIC installed. Has anyone used someone here in Sydney that they can recommend?

As for the gold plated shift knob, the missus reckons we already spend enough money on the knob in the drivers seat to spend more on the gear shifter

·
Registered
163 Posts
i picked up my cobb AP used for $350 from someone local. it was practically new, downloaded the updates and I was good to go. you can get a brand new depo intercooler for about $350 also. That still leaves you $300 to play with. I would say, just run the cobb tunes until you are done adding bolt-ons, and THEN get a custom tune by one of the many tuners out there. I'm now fully bolted "stage 3" and I just got a tune from stratified.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow, such a great response thanks all.

The tip to go with a Accessport from a tuner like Stratified is a great one. Has anyone ordered one of these and if using 98 unleaded here in Aus would you go for the 93 tune?

Unfortunately I am unable to do that level of work on my car due to the restrictions of my unit blocks parking arrangement, so need to get an FMIC installed. Has anyone used someone here in Sydney that they can recommend?

As for the gold plated shift knob, the missus reckons we already spend enough money on the knob in the drivers seat to spend more on the gear shifter

I found my AP on ebay from a guy in melbourne who was converting back to stock, got it cheap and the guy was super helpful
With the money i saved buying used i got a stratified tune, from memory on the stratified site once you put it that it's an ADM it should convert to our octane levels

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased an access port local(Marrickville) $660. Then went a mountune FMIC from the UK. The intercooler install was not hard at all. I recommend getting a small ratchet driver that dose multiple angles for the front bumper removal. Set out a day to install and watch lots of you tube vids and you will be fine.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey mate,

So a fellow aussie here who understands that $1000 aud in only about $650-700 usd once converted and paypal/credit card company takes their cut on the exchange rate. With that in mind I would suggest googling mps garage and speaking to daniel. He has the accessport and cobb rmm and these were my first upgrades too. With the extra cut paypal takes on the current exchange rate, buying from the states is painful.

A little advice, be careful when modding, first it was just a custom tune and rmm then an I/C, then cat back exhaust, then custom downpipe, then custom I/C piping, then a gtx2867r and currently about to start tuning with Stratified for this haha. I promised myself (and the wife) this would be it. But will it?

Alas regarding your $1000. If you get an accessport and rmm you wont have enough for a custom tune but may have just enough for a stratified ots style tune. I have always gone custom tune with stratified as I want the assurance that the tune is designed for my car in australias climate. Many people use the cheaper tunes happily with out failure it's up to you

·
Registered
399 Posts
Depends on what you want to achieve, RMM is a good thing being less expensive, latter models have the eFocus which does crap on the original unit I had with my 2012, upgraded to that but moved to a Cobb afterwards. Seek tune next (warranty at risk here), and your tuner of choice, had unleashed myself when I had my ST, and I recommend, hear good things about stratified too for off the shelf. If you want to spend more go for it, I did, but gets back to my original question on what you want

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hate to stir the pot, but these are FWD hatchbacks. Not drift or drag cars. 250hp is plenty to get going, if you want more, buy a power car.

I'd spend $1000 on:

Option 1: $900 aud for Bilstein B8 coilovers landed. Install $100 worth of beer in your apartment basement (easy job).
Option 2: Brake Pads/fluid $400 installed + swaybars $300 + springs $300. (add good dampers later, factory will last about 5,000km)

Make it handle and have some fun! Don't spend $1000s only to get blown away every red light, these are hot hatches remember :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hate to stir the pot, but these are FWD hatchbacks. Not drift or drag cars. 250hp is plenty to get going, if you want more, buy a power car.

I'd spend $1000 on:

Option 1: $900 aud for Bilstein B8 coilovers landed. Install $100 worth of beer in your apartment basement (easy job).
Option 2: Brake Pads/fluid $400 installed + swaybars $300 + springs $300. (add good dampers later, factory will last about 5,000km)

Make it handle and have some fun! Don't spend $1000s only to get blown away every red light, these are hot hatches remember :)
Agreed that they are not drag or drift cars, and if your goal is to race traffic light to traffic light this is not the car for you.
But with that said I can tell you that 350whp keeps up with BMW M2's in the hills. You have to control your throttle but the extra power is useful in top of second onwards. So I would disagree that 250hp is enough, for some maybe but I definitely noticed the extra power and took off 2.3 seconds of my lap time at Mallala.

·
Registered
28 Posts
bman I note you circuit your car and not drag race it so I'm not sure why you'd argue power first. 250hp is plenty for the street. A well setup 250hp will feel better and destroy a factory suspended 350hp in the hills with no brakes.

I'm not saying don't add power, but for the first $1000 investment to get the car going better, I'd pick improving handling and braking first. Each to their own.

Brakes are easy and no brainer, the factory units are not up to spec for any performance driving. You'll get 5 minutes on a twisty road and they're cooked.
Rear swaybar is undoubtedly the best bang for buck mod you can do to almost any FWD car. Under $200 and transforms the feel.
Kill the factory tyres then upgrade them too.
Wait for a cheap accessport to pop up online, you'll need an intercooler upgrade too.

Doesn't really matter you'll end up doing both anyway :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts